Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh gawwwdd. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

Firstly, a bit of background info. I had NO intention of going to university what-so-ever when I was in my teens. However, working part-time in retail for three years has made me reconsider my long-term goals and my girlfriend is also going to university, so I've bitten the bullet and applied. I received an unconditional offer for Worcester University...YAY!

Unfortunately, this leaves me at a disadvantage. I never once paid attention to the amount of information being given to me about university back when I was in education. As such, I'm doing all of this off my own back. In at the deep end I guess.

I have a handful of questions I need to ask, relating to certain things.

Financial:

I've created a Student Finance account, but there is no option for 2015/2016 despite reading everywhere else that I can apply well in advance. Am I doing something wrong?

Accommodation:

My girlfriend and I are going to the same university, and thus would like to live together. Halls and shared accommodation isn't really an option for us because we would much MUCH rather be by ourselves or in a small group (total 4). For those of you who have perhaps been in similar situations, is it possible for the uni to arrange accommodation for just two people? Or a small group (perhaps even a group of friends)? I know there is private but I would much rather the uni handle things and would be considerably more expensive. We have tried to contact their accommodations department via email but no reply, so we'll try calling soon.

Course:

I'll be doing this course; http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/c...-bsc-hons.html

Can someone explain to me how this module system works, how you choose etc?

Uni:

When you begin, how are you "introduced" to university life? Obviously there's no hand-holding by everyone's an adult, but how are people provided the information on where to go, resources, course choices etc?

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Student finance doesn't open for business until February, so there's nothing to fill in yet.
    Accommodation doesn't get off the ground until much later in the year either. You will need to ask them directly if the university has small flats, but if they do, I suspect they will be allocated to postgrads. You can only contact them and ask them. They are on holiday at the moment.
    You will be taken through what you need to know by a combination of tutors and student ambassadors. That's what freshers' week is for, not just drinking and partying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Student finance doesn't open for business until February, so there's nothing to fill in yet.
    Thank you.

Accommodation doesn't get off the ground until much later in the year either. You will need to ask them directly if the university has small flats, but if they do, I suspect they will be allocated to postgrads. You can only contact them and ask them. They are on holiday at the moment.
    Roughly when do they open? I know it'll be dependent on each uni, but still...

You will be taken through what you need to know by a combination of tutors and student ambassadors. That's what freshers' week is for, not just drinking and partying.
    Awesome. I won't be doing any of the latter things you mentioned so it's good to see there's an intro to ease people such as myself into education again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Thank you.

Roughly when do they open? I know it'll be dependent on each uni, but still...

Awesome. I won't be doing any of the latter things you mentioned so it's good to see there's an intro to ease people such as myself into education again.
    I imagine things in admin offices will be running as normal on Monday. Wouldn't expect any academic activity involving students for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Oh gawwwdd. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

Firstly, a bit of background info. I had NO intention of going to university what-so-ever when I was in my teens. However, working part-time in retail for three years has made me reconsider my long-term goals and my girlfriend is also going to university, so I've bitten the bullet and applied. I received an unconditional offer for Worcester University...YAY!

Unfortunately, this leaves me at a disadvantage. I never once paid attention to the amount of information being given to me about university back when I was in education. As such, I'm doing all of this off my own back. In at the deep end I guess.

I have a handful of questions I need to ask, relating to certain things.

Financial:

I've created a Student Finance account, but there is no option for 2015/2016 despite reading everywhere else that I can apply well in advance. Am I doing something wrong?

Accommodation:

My girlfriend and I are going to the same university, and thus would like to live together. Halls and shared accommodation isn't really an option for us because we would much MUCH rather be by ourselves or in a small group (total 4). For those of you who have perhaps been in similar situations, is it possible for the uni to arrange accommodation for just two people? Or a small group (perhaps even a group of friends)? I know there is private but I would much rather the uni handle things and would be considerably more expensive. We have tried to contact their accommodations department via email but no reply, so we'll try calling soon.

Course:

I'll be doing this course; http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/c...-bsc-hons.html

Can someone explain to me how this module system works, how you choose etc?

Uni:

When you begin, how are you "introduced" to university life? Obviously there's no hand-holding by everyone's an adult, but how are people provided the information on where to go, resources, course choices etc?

Thanks for your help.
    As far as accomodation goes, ive had a look on the university of worcester website and it says they do offer some houses on a 44 week contract (i.e undergraduate length) http://www.worcester.ac.uk/your-home...ged-house.html so that sounds more your thing. However of course it isn't guarenteed that you get your first choice and the university will only manage their own accomodation.

Introductions will vary considerably, at my uni in my year they just gave us maps in our welcome pack and we were expected to get to places ourselves from the first day- if you were lost though other students were more than happy to help you. If by course choices you mean module choices, we already had to make ours for the year before we started so again no introduction on that. Our intro was mostly welcome to the department hope you have a nice time kinda thing.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.