Could you advise me on whether I can turn these interests into a sales career? Watch

AtDusk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, can anyone help me out by sharing their insights? I have no experience with sales, but I want to learn.

I'm looking into "outside sales" jobs, connected mainly to education or publishing houses, and preferably the kind of work where I'm able to move around frequently, rather that remain mostly in an office. (I'm currently doing just that, and it's not for me).

It would be great if you could educate me on potential opportunities the following interests may lead to, if any:

I'm interested in education, but I do not want to enter academia. To narrow it down a bit, I'm interested in online tutoring technologies (or literacy-promoting technologies), and I'm brainstorming ways to get involved in promoting such technologies. (A company like Qualtrics comes to mind, which is statistical software for universities). What kind of options might this lead to? Any ideas or general thoughts are fully welcome!

Secondly, I have a life-long interest in anthropology, and human evolution, and I a masters degree in the latter (from a good uni). How viable is it to get involved in selling, say, textbooks and education materials for these subjects? Perhaps I should get in touch with publishing houses? (I have a master's degree (MSc) from a good university in a biology-related field, but no sales experience.)

Many thanks for reading.
businessisgreat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No matter how much or how little you know of something the key to success is wanting to learn, sales can be both a very active and not active at all sat at a desk, therefore because you want to be active that is great and there is definitely going to be a job that will suit you. This may sound silly and not your forte at all but a great place to start is a call centre, you would learn so much about sales (i know its an office job but, does it have to be, you can run around on the telephone cant you?). I suggest a call centre because thats where most sales happen.

One complete suggestion out of the blue is maybe start a business selling textbooks ad education materials? Start small maybe reselling on ebay in your spare time then make a website and buy more things in bulk and turn yourself into a sort of stationary/education online shop or maybe a retail shop because you like to be on your feet?

Hope I helped even though my suggestions may sound crazy. I wish you all the best and if you set up an education business a discount of 10% would be great thanks
SloaneRanger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by businessisgreat)
No matter how much or how little you know of something the key to success is wanting to learn, sales can be both a very active and not active at all sat at a desk, therefore because you want to be active that is great and there is definitely going to be a job that will suit you. This may sound silly and not your forte at all but a great place to start is a call centre, you would learn so much about sales (i know its an office job but, does it have to be, you can run around on the telephone cant you?). I suggest a call centre because thats where most sales happen.

One complete suggestion out of the blue is maybe start a business selling textbooks ad education materials? Start small maybe reselling on ebay in your spare time then make a website and buy more things in bulk and turn yourself into a sort of stationary/education online shop or maybe a retail shop because you like to be on your feet?

Hope I helped even though my suggestions may sound crazy. I wish you all the best and if you set up an education business a discount of 10% would be great thanks
I can't disagree with you there, also if you watch BBC The Call Centre, that gives you a real understanding into working life. It shows you the working expectations as well as social atmosphere of a sales floor whether it be high end boutique sales or a call centre for the AA,lol.
Vikki1805
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are so many options when it comes to sales.

It sounds as if becoming a 'Sales Rep' could be a good idea for you? Lots of pressure in Sales though, especially when becoming a rep.
This means you're a direct contact between the company and the customer, you are there to visit the customers, build relationships and ensure you gain new quotes, which potentially turn into (regular) orders.

If you think this line of sales is something you'd be interested in, feel free to message me for any other info/advice.

Either way, I hope you find a job (and in the future a career) you enjoy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (175)
67.57%
No (84)
32.43%

Watched Threads