The Student Room Group

British Chemistry Olympiad 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mcmillanr
Anyone willing to speculate what sort of mark is needed for round 2 this year? I think I'm pretty much on the line...

I was told it was about 25%. All of you are lying by the way, none of you found that exam easy because you don't know 99% of the question asked except for the first. Those were degree questions, so I think those who found that test rather 'easy' you email me a scan of your results. :smile:
Original post by Rassam91
I was told it was about 25%. All of you are lying by the way, none of you found that exam easy because you don't know 99% of the question asked except for the first. Those were degree questions, so I think those who found that test rather 'easy' you email me a scan of your results. :smile:

No, they weren't degree material.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry dude, but judging from your response you are a bit of an amateur at this stuff. Just because you found it impossible, doesn't mean everyone did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a rather unintelligible reply.
Does anyone else know what raw mark they got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xenorebrem
Sorry dude, but judging from your response you are a bit of an amateur at this stuff. Just because you found it impossible, doesn't mean everyone did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry but your judgmental deduction was rather incorrect as I, unlike you finished my AS chemistry course a year earlier than default grade.
I'm sorry but your judgmental deduction was rather incorrect as I, unlike you finished my AS chemistry course a year earlier than default grade.

Congratulations for memorizing mark schemes. Want a medal?

When it gets down to REAL chemistry you can't hack it can you?

Face it kid. You are not that special.
Chill out guys, I'm obviously not too happy with the difficulty of this years paper but I accept other people may not have found it as hard...it doesn't go on any permanent record so there's really no use in arguing and getting personal..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Chill out guys, I'm obviously not too happy with the difficulty of this years paper but I accept other people may not have found it as hard...it doesn't go on any permanent record so there's really no use in arguing and getting personal..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't want to get personal but he was being a prick about it. I mean how was the fact that I hadn't done AS chemistry a year early even relevant to the difficulty of this paper.:unimpressed:

You are right though. At the end of the day it is just meant to be a bit of fun.
Original post by mcmillanr
Does anyone else know what raw mark they got?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, our chemistry teacher generally takes a while to process these things... Do you?
Posted from TSR Mobile

There are people in this forum better at chem than you (as with me) so do yourself a favour and quit trying to show off...

*edit: to clarify "as with me" means that there are others better than me, if that's ambiguous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
61/75 did not go as well as planned, full marked Q4 which I'm proud of, and had a little choke on Q5. And yes, the maths screwed me over I'd say the more mathsy people are on an advantage. Though I'd doubt a mark like this can get me into round 2. Good luck everyone else

Also everyone just chill. The paper is not easy(of course) but far from uni level, it's designed to challenge 6th formers and that's all. Also only show off if you have 65+ score, otherwise you'd be slapped in the face by someone smarter than you
(edited 9 years ago)
I didn't want to get personal but he was being a prick about it. I mean how was the fact that I hadn't done AS chemistry a year early even relevant to the difficulty of this paper.:unimpressed:

You are right though. At the end of the day it is just meant to be a bit of fun.

Yeah I think you went a bit too rough on that poor guy tho.
He just wanted to show he is decent on chemistry, and you started being scornful. Do remember, the mean mark scored was like 15 out of 65 last year, so most people are not as gifted and talented as you may be. Also, in EVERY exam there WILL be many people find it very difficult, and you shouldn't laugh at them because some one some where will think you are stupid as well
Original post by AndyChow
Yeah I think you went a bit too rough on that poor guy tho.
He just wanted to show he is decent on chemistry, and you started being scornful. Do remember, the mean mark scored was like 15 out of 65 last year, so most people are not as gifted and talented as you may be. Also, in EVERY exam there WILL be many people find it very difficult, and you shouldn't laugh at them because some one some where will think you are stupid as well

I'm not even that good at chemistry. Tbh I probably flopped this paper too. But the guys attitude was just awful and he kinda needed to be put in his place. In the real world, there are tonnes of people better than you ( general) and you just kinda have to accept it. He was going to learn that lesson sooner or later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing my class will be the last ones to do it as we have it tomorrow. Best of luck with your results people!
Original post by TajwarC
I'm guessing my class will be the last ones to do it as we have it tomorrow. Best of luck with your results people!

Initially I thought you are overseas, but I checked your profile you are UK local. I swear after the mark scheme is released you can't do it anymore, it's past the deadlines
Initially I thought you are overseas, but I checked your profile you are UK local. I swear after the mark scheme is released you can't do it anymore, it's past the deadlines

I think they just won't be in round 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically you could do it up until the deadline for entering results. Tbh I don't think RSC cares too much since its quite easy to tell which students have a shot at IChO and which don't. And that is fundamentally what this whole thing is about.

Technically you could do it up until the deadline for entering results. Tbh I don't think RSC cares too much since its quite easy to tell which students have a shot at IChO and which don't. And that is fundamentally what this whole thing is about.

Aren't the mark schemes released at the same time as the paper? My teacher entered us ages ago but apparently didn't get any response from the RSC until she had to email them again last week, after the first sitting happened. The papers were sent so I guess they have no issue with us doing it this late.

As Xenorebrem said, it's quite easy to tell who is actually capable of getting through to round two and who isn't. Also as it's not an exam that goes on any record I'm guessing the RSC are a bit more relaxed in terms of moderation, hence why your own teachers mark it and not the RSC themselves. As said above, the whole idea is to fish out the best students, along with having a bit of fun with it.
Got my results back and was several marks from getting my paper sent to the RSC. Considering that's the first time my school has participated I feel rather successful in myself; in addition, we hadn't covered the majority of chemistry topics used as questions.
I think we should all focus more on personal achievement rather that putting others down.

Quick Reply

Latest