The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York students!!!!!!!!!!!

Heyyy, so i've been really interested in UOY recently, York is gorgeous and is a really well rated university, especially for the course I want to do. Anyone who's studying there/studied there, what is uni life like, social life, accommodation, living costs etc etc. Basically sell it to me :smile:
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Hi,

I am currently in my first year at the University of York, and can safely say that I would not have been happier elsewhere. While the campus may not be the prettiest (slightly too much concrete), nothing can beat the beautiful city centre. With four official university club nights a week, there is something for everyone, and if clubs aren't your thing, there are enough bars and pubs here for you to go to a different one every night for the whole of your degree! The college system allows for some on-campus rivalry, which helps to create a great sense of community through college pride!
The standard of accommodation varies... It completely depends on how much you are willing to spend, and whether you want catered/self-catered or shared bathroom/ensuite. The accommodation of Heslington East may look nicer, it is a 5-10 minute bus journey to the main campus where lectures are. Ultimately though, it is less about the facilities when it comes to accommodation than the people you end up sharing with. If you throw yourself in to uni life, you'll have a great time here no matter what!!
Original post by 95atimms
Hi,

I am currently in my first year at the University of York, and can safely say that I would not have been happier elsewhere. While the campus may not be the prettiest (slightly too much concrete), nothing can beat the beautiful city centre. With four official university club nights a week, there is something for everyone, and if clubs aren't your thing, there are enough bars and pubs here for you to go to a different one every night for the whole of your degree! The college system allows for some on-campus rivalry, which helps to create a great sense of community through college pride!
The standard of accommodation varies... It completely depends on how much you are willing to spend, and whether you want catered/self-catered or shared bathroom/ensuite. The accommodation of Heslington East may look nicer, it is a 5-10 minute bus journey to the main campus where lectures are. Ultimately though, it is less about the facilities when it comes to accommodation than the people you end up sharing with. If you throw yourself in to uni life, you'll have a great time here no matter what!!

Btw,which is the preferred college for the chemistry students?
Thank you.:smile:
Original post by trubadur

Hi :smile:

Colleges aren't really related to courses, I have 2 chemists in my flat in Goodricke, which isn't near the department or have a Chemistry reputation. Alcuin is seen as the "science" college, and in terms or closeness Derwent is probably nearest to the department.
Original post by ninaballet
Hi :smile:

Colleges aren't really related to courses, I have 2 chemists in my flat in Goodricke, which isn't near the department or have a Chemistry reputation. Alcuin is seen as the "science" college, and in terms or closeness Derwent is probably nearest to the department.

Thank you very much for the quick and kind answer:smile:Very helpful.
Hope you enjoy the uni life at York and that the chemists are good colleagues:wink:
Original post by trubadur

Thought I'd add that I am in Alcuin college and my block has a lot of chemists as it is so close to the department. You will find people on your course in any college though so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The type of accommodation you want is more important to consider. It doesn't really take long to move around campus anyway, as long as you're not on Hes East.
Original post by student_1995
Thought I'd add that I am in Alcuin college and my block has a lot of chemists as it is so close to the department. You will find people on your course in any college though so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The type of accommodation you want is more important to consider. It doesn't really take long to move around campus anyway, as long as you're not on Hes East.

Thank you.I will consider:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending