TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rakib567)
b and c :confused:

i cut out the other easy bits of the question
B) basically, the number of different atoms that form the compound. Each one will produce a peak. Be careful with the chlorine though, account for the fact there's two isotopes.

The m/z value is the sum of the molecular masses of the constituent elements in the compound. Again be careful as to what value you use for chlorine

C) apparently this is a so called "A* question". Essentially you need high temperatures to maximise waste destruction in incinerators, which thus prevents the dioxins from forming
rakib567
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by TajwarC)
B) basically, the number of different atoms that form the compound. Each one will produce a peak. Be careful with the chlorine though, account for the fact there's two isotopes.

The m/z value is the sum of the molecular masses of the constituent elements in the compound. Again be careful as to what value you use for chlorine

C) apparently this is a so called "A* question". Essentially you need high temperatures to maximise waste destruction in incinerators, which thus prevents the dioxins from forming
ok seems like C is just knowledge but i still don't understand b. in terms of the molecular ion peaks (M+) how many would u expect and why?
rakib567
Rep:
?
GOT IT! thanks for the help you need a rep
TajwarC
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ok seems like C is just knowledge but i still don't understand b. in terms of the molecular ion peaks (M+) how many would u expect and why?
So the molecular formula is C12H4O2Cl4

We have carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and chlorine. We could expect a peak from each of those, but as there are two isotopes of chlorine we can expect 1 more, so 5 all together

For the m/z part, this equals the molecular mass of the compound. We use a value of 35 for chlorine as this is the most abundant isotope so essentially it's (12x12)+(4x1)... and so on

The m/z of the ion peak is the same as the mr of the compound because it has the highest m/z ratio, it's a molecule that hasn't fragmented and has a charge of +1 (m/z is a ratio, mass over 1 is the same as the original mass)
TajwarC
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
GOT IT! thanks for the help you need a rep
Thanks
rakib567
Rep:
?
(Original post by TajwarC)
Thanks
i expected an answer next morning but u are here at midnight helping the chemistry community
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (252)
27.21%
No (674)
72.79%

Watched Threads