Turn on thread page Beta

Can someone recommend me some trainers for general gym use & lifting? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been searching on forums and reviews for the better part of 2 days now. I'm in need of some trainers for classes (BodyPump, Grit Series and CXWorks) and for general gym use (free weights, squats, core work etc.). I already have a pair of running trainings which are for running outside but not HIIT on the treadmill.

So far a lot of people have been talking about Nike Free TRs or Nike Free Cross Bionic trainers but I've read everything from they're fantastic to they have really poor support and will fall apart after two months.

Can someone recommend me some good trainers/brands? I am looking for trainers <£60 (the ones I Free/Cross trainers I mentioned above were on sale). Doesn't have to be Nikes, in fact please do recommend some other brands! Also can someone PLEASE give some more insight on the Frees?

If it helps I'm female and about 117 lbs/53 kg.

ReputationRep:
    Can't help help you fro cardio stuff but lift in socks or something totally flat- like converse/cheap rip offs

Trainers put padding between your feet and the ground which is desirable if you're running but not for lifting. Like when squatting, you want to be able to be firmly planted on the ground and to push off the ground hard. You can get actual lifting shoes but they aren't worth buying unless you want your heel lifted.

I imagine cross fit shoes are designed to be a running/lifting hybrid? I can't see that being anything other than a bit rubbish for both so I'd focus on getting one for cardio stuff and socks/cheap converse for lifting.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any converse or something similar? I think you'd be better to spend your money on a good pair of running shoes like your Nikes or New Balance, than to try get a multipurpose shoe. You need something as flat as possible for one, and cushioned for the other so it's pretty hard to find something that can do both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *Subscribes to thread!*

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't currently have converse, go to Primark and get a pair for a few £, save the rest of your budget for the running shoes. They are ****, I've walk through primark shoes in less than a week before but don't walk to the gym in them and they do the job.

Supermarkets, TK Maxx, charity shops etc will likely have cheap rip offs too but Primark def do them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Even if you don't currently have converse, go to Primark and get a pair for a few £, save the rest of your budget for the running shoes. They are ****, I've walk through primark shoes in less than a week before but don't walk to the gym in them and they do the job.

Supermarkets, TK Maxx, charity shops etc will likely have cheap rip offs too but Primark def do them

(Original post by hermitthefrog)
    Do you have any converse or something similar? I think you'd be better to spend your money on a good pair of running shoes like your Nikes or New Balance, than to try get a multipurpose shoe. You need something as flat as possible for one, and cushioned for the other so it's pretty hard to find something that can do both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will the flat shoes be good enough to use in group classes like Spin, CXWorx (for core work) and Body Pump/Grit series? Also when I do a gym session I like to do all my sets then do a bit of cardio at the end either on the treadmill, crosstrainer or bike...will this converse/flat trainers be okay to use in this instance?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Naami)
    I've been searching on forums and reviews for the better part of 2 days now. I'm in need of some trainers for classes (BodyPump, Grit Series and CXWorks) and for general gym use (free weights, squats, core work etc.). I already have a pair of running trainings which are for running outside but not HIIT on the treadmill.

So far a lot of people have been talking about Nike Free TRs or Nike Free Cross Bionic trainers but I've read everything from they're fantastic to they have really poor support and will fall apart after two months.

Can someone recommend me some good trainers/brands? I am looking for trainers <£60 (the ones I Free/Cross trainers I mentioned above were on sale). Doesn't have to be Nikes, in fact please do recommend some other brands! Also can someone PLEASE give some more insight on the Frees?

If it helps I'm female and about 117 lbs/53 kg.

Nike lunarglides are quite good, I have a pair myself and they're great for all purposes, though you can always go for lower cost unbranded ones.

You can find models from previous years that are far cheaper than those released recently, I bought my Nike Lunarglides 3 for £55 as they were from the year before and the changes each year are minor - if you can walk/run in them comfortably then they are fine, you don't need to pay for the latest fashionable pair as you will wear them out in time.

I got mine for £55 on http://www.sportsshoes.com, they usually have a sale going on, and you narrow down your choices via brand, price, fit, gait etc

If you are in doubt of the pair you want due to "reviews" then you have to take into consideration what you will use them for/how intense your workouts are, I use mine to run outdoors and have had them for around 2 years and they're still in good shape and haven't teared away at any point.

As you are doing indoor gym workouts, I would recommend the Nike Free Runs as the sole and whole shoe are very light, they also have segmented soles which help you to run more naturally. I'm not sure of other brands, though I know that Reebok have taken "inspiration" from Nike's Free Run design and have produced similar shoes.

Have a look on here:http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/womens/gym/shoe/ OR
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/.../running/shoe/

I would recommend sorting the products by 'bestsellers'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naami)
    Will the flat shoes be good enough to use in group classes like Spin, CXWorx (for core work) and Body Pump/Grit series? Also when I do a gym session I like to do all my sets then do a bit of cardio at the end either on the treadmill, crosstrainer or bike...will this converse/flat trainers be okay to use in this instance?
    Fine yes, ideal no. I'm reliably told running is bad shoes can mess you up quite easily, probably less so for cycling though.

If you were willing/able to spend money on shoes then still spend it on shoes for your cardio. Just get cheap flat ones too, take both to the gym and switch them as needed.

ReputationRep:
    I went with the Nike Free TR 4 which were on sale for £56. A lot of people say they're a good hybrid shoe for both lifting and HIIT/Classes which is what I was looking for. I will see how they are when they arrive!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.