The Student Room Group

Russell Group = Ivy League? What a joke.

The relatively recent creation of a self-adulating group of so-called research intensive institutions - the Russell Group was an inevitable and perhaps desirable step necessary in order to preserve whatever credibility is left in the UK's higher education. However, its inherently diluted nature threatens to render it superfluos and, more worryingly, damaging. 19 institutions is a far too great number to retain any credibility. The comparison with the US' Ivy League is therefore dramatically flawed. There are only 8 universities in the Ivy League, in a country thriving with more than 3,000 higher education institutions and with at least 10 other universities enjoying outstanding world-class reputation and thus deserving such honour. The Uk, on the other hand, counts little more than 120 institutions with university title - and an "elite" constituted by 19 entities. Needless to say, this setting is not only purposeless but worrying. It would be far more appropriate to drastically reduce this number to a max. of 5 institutions - probably the "big 4" research intensive unis - Ox, Cam, Imperial and UCL with the obvious addition of the LSE - thus vesting the group with some sort of plausible credibility.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
otnemem
The relatively recent creation of a self-adulating group of so-called research intensive institutions - the Russell Group was an inevitable and perhaps desirable step necessary in order to preserve whatever credibility is left in the UK's higher education. However, its inherently diluted nature threatens to render it superfluos and, more worryingly, damaging. 19 institutions is a far too great number to retain any credibility. The comparison with the US' Ivy League is therefore dramatically flawed. There are only 8 universities in the Ivy League, in a country thriving with more than 3,000 higher education institutions and with at least 10 other universities enjoying outstanding world-class reputation and thus deserving such honour. The Uk, on the other hand, counts little more than 120 institutions with university title - and an "elite" constituted by 19 entities. Needless to say, this setting is not only purposeless but worrying. It would be far more appropriate to drastically reduce this number to a max. of 5 institutions - probably the "big 4" research intensive unis - Ox, Cam, Imperial and UCL with the obvious addition of the LSE - thus vesting the group with some sort of plausible credibility.

What are the eight unis in the Ivy league?
Reply 2
The point of the Russell Group is not the same as the point of the Ivy League.

The group you propose already exists in the form of the G5 (though the inclusion of UCL is a bit of joke).
Reply 3
otnemem

To be fair, the Ivy League isn't very credible as a list of the best higher educational institutions either. It has Stanford but not MIT, doesn't include the top LACs like Amherst or Williams, etc. etc. It was a league of sports clubs in origin.
Reply 4
The constituents of the Ivy League are Brown University,
Columbia University, Cornell University, Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, Yale University - Stanford is therefore not included - and that is precisely my point - there are so many other US institutions which enjoy world class fame (MIT, Stanford, NYU, Caltech and the list goes on and on) and are not included in the League, which has, as a conseqence, lost most of its significance. England faces the opposite problem which will inexorably lead to the same conclusion. Too many universities included in the elite group will render the latter nothing more than a joke.
And not to include UCL in a restricted russell group would be fundamentally wrong. For several years now it has received more research funds than imperial and this yeear it was allocated the second biggest slice of the cake - second only to cambridge. So please...
Reply 5
forgot to add Dartmouth to the list.
Reply 6
The comparison is irrelevant. The Ivy League is nothing to do with academic excellence, it is in fact an orgnisation concerned with sports. Thus Ivy universities play each other at certain sports, following certain rules on athlete recruitment and participation. The prestige of the Ivy League emenates primarily from members such as Harvard, Yale and Princeton; Brown and Cornell are far less competitive institutions. Stanford, Chicago etc are not included because they are hundreds of miles from the others, hence organising sports fixtures is impractical.

The idea the that top US unis are the Ivy League members is simply wrong. It is a very popular myth, but a myth nonetheless.
Reply 7
d750
To be fair, the Ivy League isn't very credible as a list of the best higher educational institutions either. It has Stanford but not MIT, doesn't include the top LACs like Amherst or Williams, etc. etc. It was a league of sports clubs in origin.

STANFORD IN THE IVY LEAGUE????

If you claim to know anything about it, then surely you should know that these are the oldest universities in America and are all on the EAST coast.
Is it always human nature to persist with such comparisons? I get it with computer games, characters, films, you name it, now this.
Reply 9
d750

Yes, he's right. No Stanford m8. :P
Reply 10
But the Russell Group has never meant to be an equivelant to the Ivy League, it is just a group of research-led universities.

The term "Ivy League" has little meaning anyway, it was coined by an American sports journalist.
Reply 11
Vitriol
Yes, he's right. No Stanford m8. :P

Oops. I stand corrected. Actually I think I misinterpreted the original post, anyway - I thought it was arguing that the Russell Group should emulate the Ivy League, but I think we're essentially coming from the same direction.
Reply 12
otnemem
The comparison with the US' Ivy League is therefore dramatically flawed.
Who ever tried to make that comparison?

I thought it was a union of sorts to press the government for changes the group wanted.
Reply 13
edders
Who ever tried to make that comparison?

I thought it was a union of sorts to press the government for changes the group wanted.

I'm pretty sure that's what the Russell Group is. When Imperial were pressing for higher variable fees I think they argued that the group should be cut down in size so that they could be more effective at lobbying the government.
Reply 14
d750
I'm pretty sure that's what the Russell Group is. When Imperial were pressing for higher variable fees I think they argued that the group should be cut down in size so that they could be more effective at lobbying the government.
Yup, I think the original poster got the wrong end of the stick about what the group is for.
Reply 15
Well, from what I can see (having relatives in the US), it would seem the educational system there is ' a joke' in comparison to the UK one anyway.

Their 'degrees' are little more than A-Levels here. People 'buy themselves' places at the 'top institutions'. Alternatively, if you excel at a particular sport whilst being only 'mediocre' academically, gaining a place at a 'top' uni, doesn't seem to be too difficult.

That's just my opinion anyway. I'll happily stick to my degrees here in the UK
Reply 16
joyabbott
Well, from what I can see (having relatives in the US), it would seem the educational system there is ' a joke' in comparison to the UK one anyway.

Their 'degrees' are little more than A-Levels here. People 'buy themselves' places at the 'top institutions'. Alternatively, if you excel at a particular sport whilst being only 'mediocre' academically, gaining a place at a 'top' uni, doesn't seem to be too difficult.

That's just my opinion anyway. I'll happily stick to my degrees here in the UK

Oh dear...
Reply 17
I've certainly never seen anyone make a comparison between the Ivy League and the Russell Group. However, in the face of penendulum style league tables and know-nothing careers advisors, looking at the universities in the Russell Group appears to be the best (not ulitimate) indication of the UK's elite universities.
Reply 18
Vitriol
Oh dear...

and that means????
Reply 19
"I've certainly never seen anyone make a comparison between the Ivy League and the Russell Group"

All of you people should read the papers from time to time - they appear to be quite keen and confident in making such comparison. Below is an illustration:

In addition, whatever the purpose of the inception of the Ivy League, it is an irrefutable fact that the latter represents, in the eyes of the vast majority of people, the qunitessential image of "elitism". The Russell Group, albeit for different purposes, attempts to convey the same image. All I'm trying to say is that this attempt cannot possibly be credible with the inclusion of so many institutions.

Ivy League for the UK

Sunday September 21, 2003
The Observer

"The Russell Group is the equivalent of the American Ivy League of prestigious universities. It is a self-selected body representing Britain's foremost research-led universities, has its own executive committee, effectively a policy steering group, and is advertising for a chief executive.
The group comprises etc. etc."

Latest

Trending

Trending