The Student Room Group

Ski Holiday Help

So I'm on a gap year and thinking about booking a ski holiday within the next month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good destination? (Somewhere with a good nightlife!) I've been skiing a few times before and had Tignes or Alpe D'Huez in mind. As it stands I'd most likely be going by myself (potentially meet a friend or two who are currently on ski seasons, depending on where I go) but is that a bit sad/lonely to go alone? Has anyone else my age (18 yo) gone on a solo ski holiday and if so how did you find it? Yeah basically any advice or information people have would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Boony
So I'm on a gap year and thinking about booking a ski holiday within the next month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good destination? (Somewhere with a good nightlife!) I've been skiing a few times before and had Tignes or Alpe D'Huez in mind. As it stands I'd most likely be going by myself (potentially meet a friend or two who are currently on ski seasons, depending on where I go) but is that a bit sad/lonely to go alone? Has anyone else my age (18 yo) gone on a solo ski holiday and if so how did you find it? Yeah basically any advice or information people have would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've heard Val D'Isere is great!
Original post by Boony

It might be worth taking a look at Les Menuires or Les Deux Alpes. Both young, good value resorts in the French alps and both high for good snow :smile:!

Hazel
Original post by Boony

Gonna go with a slightly out of the box suggestion here.

Andorra.

I've been there a couple of times, once to Pas de la Casa and once to Soldeu and have loved it both times. If you're a top, top level skier then neither will really push you but I've skied for a couple of weeks every year from the age of 10 to 24 and both times there have been plenty of runs that were enjoyable and lots of good off-piste sections. Pas de la Casa is the better one in my opinion but both are good.

Why Andorra? Well for a start the skiing has been good, the snow record there is as good as anywhere else in mainland Europe but because it's not got the same reputation as a lot of places it can be dirt cheap, both times I've gone the total cost for two weeks would have barely got me one week at any major ski resort elsewhere in Europe. It's not bad to get to either, fly to Barcelona or Toulouse and jump on a coach from there which'll take you about 3 hours.

My other suggestion would be to not go by yourself.

http://www.cssnowfest.com/

First time I went to Andorra it was with a group of around 20 people from the website CouchSurfing. We were a total group of strangers, from all around Europe, the US and Canada, who just grouped together, rented a big chalet for a couple of weeks, and had a fantastic time. Even though we didn't know each other before the start we got on great and because of the size of the group it was cheap as all hell. This was about six years ago (when I was 18) and it's now spawned into a big thing. They ran 3 trips this Christmas to various places and they have another one coming up in March, heading to Switzerland. Amazing fun, you'll end up being great friends with a completely new group of people (I'm still regularly in touch with half a dozen from my group six years later) and it's well worth a shot. Go on there, drop them an email to check there's still space on the March trip, and get yourself on it, you won't regret it.
Reply 4
Original post by mackemforever
Gonna go with a slightly out of the box suggestion here.

Andorra.

I've been there a couple of times, once to Pas de la Casa and once to Soldeu and have loved it both times. If you're a top, top level skier then neither will really push you but I've skied for a couple of weeks every year from the age of 10 to 24 and both times there have been plenty of runs that were enjoyable and lots of good off-piste sections. Pas de la Casa is the better one in my opinion but both are good.

Why Andorra? Well for a start the skiing has been good, the snow record there is as good as anywhere else in mainland Europe but because it's not got the same reputation as a lot of places it can be dirt cheap, both times I've gone the total cost for two weeks would have barely got me one week at any major ski resort elsewhere in Europe. It's not bad to get to either, fly to Barcelona or Toulouse and jump on a coach from there which'll take you about 3 hours.

My other suggestion would be to not go by yourself.

http://www.cssnowfest.com/

First time I went to Andorra it was with a group of around 20 people from the website CouchSurfing. We were a total group of strangers, from all around Europe, the US and Canada, who just grouped together, rented a big chalet for a couple of weeks, and had a fantastic time. Even though we didn't know each other before the start we got on great and because of the size of the group it was cheap as all hell. This was about six years ago (when I was 18) and it's now spawned into a big thing. They ran 3 trips this Christmas to various places and they have another one coming up in March, heading to Switzerland. Amazing fun, you'll end up being great friends with a completely new group of people (I'm still regularly in touch with half a dozen from my group six years later) and it's well worth a shot. Go on there, drop them an email to check there's still space on the March trip, and get yourself on it, you won't regret it.

Thank you! I'll definitely do some more research into Andorra.

Quick Reply

Latest