Resitting AS modules Watch

sasukekuns
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, I haven't seen a recent post regarding this topic but I plan to apply for Medicine universities this year and was wondering if they're okay with MODULE retakes.
I'm currently in Year 13 and doing A2 Bio, Chem & Psycho and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to retake more than one module per subject, or if I'm allowed to retake any at all. I want to get at least an A each overall.
Many thanks for any response this gets.
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sasukekuns)
Hello, I haven't seen a recent post regarding this topic but I plan to apply for Medicine universities this year and was wondering if they're okay with MODULE retakes.
I'm currently in Year 13 and doing A2 Bio, Chem & Psycho and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to retake more than one module per subject, or if I'm allowed to retake any at all. I want to get at least an A each overall.
Many thanks for any response this gets.
I have also applied for Medicine this year and most universities dont mind how many resits you take as long as its within the 2 year sitting of your A-Level. It is after these 2 years it starts to become a problem. Some univeristies only allow one module resit per subject, you would have to check the unis policy on their website. However most people dont listen to it as there is no way of the unis tracking to see if you have had more than one module resit for each subject. I hope this has helped

What did you get at AS if you dont mind me asking and what grades are you resitting?
sasukekuns
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Hudl)
I have also applied for Medicine this year and most universities dont mind how many resits you take as long as its within the 2 year sitting of your A-Level. It is after these 2 years it starts to become a problem. Some univeristies only allow one module resit per subject, you would have to check the unis policy on their website. However most people dont listen to it as there is no way of the unis tracking to see if you have had more than one module resit for each subject. I hope this has helped

What did you get at AS if you dont mind me asking and what grades are you resitting?
So as long as it's within the 2 years you were doing the A-levels, it's okay? (Aside from Nottingham & Cambridge, I heard)

I read this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies

And I don't know what they meant by 'first sitting'.. Is it first sitting as in first time you ever took the exam or first sitting as in within the 2 years of doing your A-levels. :L

Also, can you elaborate on this please:
However most people dont listen to it as there is no way of the unis tracking to see if you have had more than one module resit for each subject.

They wouldn't know as long as it's within the 2 years?
Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm really being cautious.

Also, I got very discouraging results during AS, so I'm resitting more than 1 module for each subject I'm currently doing. Thank you so much for your response.
Hudl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sasukekuns)
So as long as it's within the 2 years you were doing the A-levels, it's okay? (Aside from Nottingham & Cambridge, I heard)

I read this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies

And I don't know what they meant by 'first sitting'.. Is it first sitting as in first time you ever took the exam or first sitting as in within the 2 years of doing your A-levels. :L

Also, can you elaborate on this please:
However most people dont listen to it as there is no way of the unis tracking to see if you have had more than one module resit for each subject.

They wouldn't know as long as it's within the 2 years?
Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm really being cautious.

Also, I got very discouraging results during AS, so I'm resitting more than 1 module for each subject I'm currently doing. Thank you so much for your response.
Yes as long as the 2 years you're doing the A-Level its okay apart from certain unis that dont allow resits or only allow one module resit per subject.
However with the new updates to A-Level you will only be able to resit once anway as you will only have 2 sets of exams in the 2 years of A-Level and for current yr11 or 10s cant remember they will only sit exams at the end of the 2 years with no opporunity for resits within the 2 year of study.

Its when you resit outside these 2 years it becomes a problem for eg you get AAB with 2ums of an A and resit one module you got a C in to get it higher to make AAA outside the 2 years, you will be classified and put into the resit category where you have taken more than 2 years to sit your A-Levels and will be there with people taking more than 2 years and maybe resitting everything.

You should be careful of http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies as it hasn't been updated carefully. You can have a look at all the medschool websites to see their most updated policy, however I doubt they would have changed drastically.

When they say first sitting, they mean within the first 2 years

& what I mean by the unis can't track it is, the only record of you resitting a subject the university has is the modules you have put on UCAS that you're going to resit, which you are supposed to put but a lot of people don't. On results day, universities simply receive your overall results and maybe modular results to use for those close to offer requirements. The amount of times you resat isn't shown by UCAS and they are unable to get this information. It is however illegal (im not sure whether illegal is the right word) but not allowed to withhold information about resits from UCAS and this the uni but plenty still do and can't be caught.

Yeah its perfectly normal to be resitting more than one module per subject, for example a friend of mine who got into Oxford this year resat a lot of her AS stuff simply to get a better UMS even though she had already achieved high grades in most of them at AS anyway.

I am resitting 3 modules myself and have applied to medicine so I'm sure there is no problem.
PensAndPaper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hudl)
Yes as long as the 2 years you're doing the A-Level its okay apart from certain unis that dont allow resits or only allow one module resit per subject.
However with the new updates to A-Level you will only be able to resit once anway as you will only have 2 sets of exams in the 2 years of A-Level and for current yr11 or 10s cant remember they will only sit exams at the end of the 2 years with no opporunity for resits within the 2 year of study.

Its when you resit outside these 2 years it becomes a problem for eg you get AAB with 2ums of an A and resit one module you got a C in to get it higher to make AAA outside the 2 years, you will be classified and put into the resit category where you have taken more than 2 years to sit your A-Levels and will be there with people taking more than 2 years and maybe resitting everything.

You should be careful of http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies as it hasn't been updated carefully. You can have a look at all the medschool websites to see their most updated policy, however I doubt they would have changed drastically.

When they say first sitting, they mean within the first 2 years

& what I mean by the unis can't track it is, the only record of you resitting a subject the university has is the modules you have put on UCAS that you're going to resit, which you are supposed to put but a lot of people don't. On results day, universities simply receive your overall results and maybe modular results to use for those close to offer requirements. The amount of times you resat isn't shown by UCAS and they are unable to get this information. It is however illegal (im not sure whether illegal is the right word) but not allowed to withhold information about resits from UCAS and this the uni but plenty still do and can't be caught.

Yeah its perfectly normal to be resitting more than one module per subject, for example a friend of mine who got into Oxford this year resat a lot of her AS stuff simply to get a better UMS even though she had already achieved high grades in most of them at AS anyway.

I am resitting 3 modules myself and have applied to medicine so I'm sure there is no problem.
Heya I am in the same situations as you guys ? Out of curiosity what AS grades did you get in which subjects and what are you resitting sorry for the nosiness
Hudl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PensAndPaper)
Heya I am in the same situations as you guys ? Out of curiosity what AS grades did you get in which subjects and what are you resitting sorry for the nosiness
Hello and its no problem, I got ABBBBB at AS in Maths Chem Physics Bio FMaths GenStudies respectively. I am resitting BIOL2, CHEM2 & CHEM1 & maybe BIOL3X which is my practical. What about you? What are you resitting?

How is your application going, any interviews yet?
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hudl)
Hello and its no problem, I got ABBBBB at AS in Maths Chem Physics Bio FMaths GenStudies respectively. I am resitting BIOL2, CHEM2 & CHEM1 & maybe BIOL3X which is my practical. What about you? What are you resitting?

How is your application going, any interviews yet?
Heya oh wow you took a lot of AS's!
I got ABBC in psychology, biology, maths and chemistry and my college did not offer general studies. I got ill during exam time so my grades plummeted.

I am resitting BY1 BY2 CHEM1 CHEM2, I am starting to think that it is way to many resits.

How many A-levls did you drop going into year 13 ?

I did not apply this year because I thought I would have a better shot at some UNI's with achieved grades of A*A*A*b (i hope!!), but again I am starting to think I should have just applied this year and there would have been another chance even if I got 4 rejections, my college advised me poorly -_-.

How is your application going ?
Hudl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PensAndPaper)
Heya oh wow you took a lot of AS's!
I got ABBC in psychology, biology, maths and chemistry and my college did not offer general studies. I got ill during exam time so my grades plummeted.

I am resitting BY1 BY2 CHEM1 CHEM2, I am starting to think that it is way to many resits.

How many A-levls did you drop going into year 13 ?

I did not apply this year because I thought I would have a better shot at some UNI's with achieved grades of A*A*A*b (i hope!!), but again I am starting to think I should have just applied this year and there would have been another chance even if I got 4 rejections, my college advised me poorly -_-.

How is your application going ?
Yeah that was poor advice, you should have applied just to try your luck. If you had got an offer then excellent work hard get the min AAA and go to uni. There are quite a few people in my college with your grades with interviews for medicine this year. I guess you not applying this year you can really concentrate on getting the grades as the whole process pulls you away from your studies physically and mentally. I dropped 2ASs going into A2, Physics and FMaths. but then I'm going to have 13 exams in June which is a lot. I might drop general studies because it isn't needed but I dont revise for it anyway so its worth sitting but wouldnt like my B at AS to drop to a C at A2 tbh.

My application is going mediocre, I have had interviews from Manchester & Plymouth and have heard back from Plymouth where I was put on hold post interview. Manchester get back to people in April/March. I got put on an interview waiting list by Exeter and haven't heard anything from Lancaster.
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hudl)
Yeah that was poor advice, you should have applied just to try your luck. If you had got an offer then excellent work hard get the min AAA and go to uni. There are quite a few people in my college with your grades with interviews for medicine this year. I guess you not applying this year you can really concentrate on getting the grades as the whole process pulls you away from your studies physically and mentally. I dropped 2ASs going into A2, Physics and FMaths. but then I'm going to have 13 exams in June which is a lot. I might drop general studies because it isn't needed but I dont revise for it anyway so its worth sitting but wouldnt like my B at AS to drop to a C at A2 tbh.

My application is going mediocre, I have had interviews from Manchester & Plymouth and have heard back from Plymouth where I was put on hold post interview. Manchester get back to people in April/March. I got put on an interview waiting list by Exeter and haven't heard anything from Lancaster.
Yeah I know it was ridiculous advice but I was dimwitted for taking it. And yeah I have seen here people in the student room with them and i am like dammit. And yeah I haven't had to worry about the application process at all so I already feel more prepared than my peers. And wow yeah that is a heck of a lot but i am pretty sure you will do well considering you did that many AS last and got good results. And yeah I presume so but you never know you may just get lucky with the general studies questions and get like an A or A*.

Oh wow well done. So do you know what the chances of getting a place are if you are put on hold post interview? And the chances of getting an interview when you are on the waiting list? If you do not get in this year are you applying next year too?

Its annoying because I bet if you got that conditional offer from Plymouth it will give you that extra boost of motivation to really do well in your exams?

What were your GCSEs like ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (626)
80.57%
Leave (151)
19.43%

Watched Threads