Architecture 2016 applicant Watch

Dave8991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys, so I am now in yr 12 and hoping to study Architecture at either Cambridge or Bath in 2016. Will have to start the application process later in the year so I know it's quite early but I wanted to start putting together my portfolio and reading around the subject. What advice could anyone give me concerning the preparation for applying for Architecture? What books could be worth giving a read?
AZ_97
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dave8991)
Hey guys, so I am now in yr 12 and hoping to study Architecture at either Cambridge or Bath in 2016. Will have to start the application process later in the year so I know it's quite early but I wanted to start putting together my portfolio and reading around the subject. What advice could anyone give me concerning the preparation for applying for Architecture? What books could be worth giving a read?
Hi
Its never too soon to start thinking about things. I suggest you check out the various university websites for Architecture. Cambridge has on their website a reading list, you can get copies of the books 2nd hand on ebay, it wont get too expensive.

You could even go on the open days which start in a few months.

Also try and get some work experience at Architecture firms, best to apply soon as possible as they are very popular.

Good luck.
yeslordsugar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dave8991)
Im in love with Bath already too (I'm in year 12). I don't know if I want to do architecture or engineering or geography yet or product design or town planning or something yet! Haha. The architecture course at bath looks perfect though Because I'm so unsure of what I want to do I didn't take art and I don't know if I'd be at a disadvantage if I did want to do architecture. I've done physics maths graphics and geography. What AS levels did you take?
Dave8991
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeslordsugar)
Im in love with Bath already too (I'm in year 12). I don't know if I want to do architecture or engineering or geography yet or product design or town planning or something yet! Haha. The architecture course at bath looks perfect though Because I'm so unsure of what I want to do I didn't take art and I don't know if I'd be at a disadvantage if I did want to do architecture. I've done physics maths graphics and geography. What AS levels did you take?
Yes, I really like the architecture course at Bath too I'm doing Maths, Physics, French and Product Design. I've been told not to worry too much about not taking art though. As long as you can still put together a great portfolio to show and talk about at the interviews you should be fine
Dave8991
Rep:
?
(Original post by AZ_97)
Hi
Its never too soon to start thinking about things. I suggest you check out the various university websites for Architecture. Cambridge has on their website a reading list, you can get copies of the books 2nd hand on ebay, it wont get too expensive.

You could even go on the open days which start in a few months.

Also try and get some work experience at Architecture firms, best to apply soon as possible as they are very popular.

Good luck.
Alright, thank you I'm now in the process of applying for unpaid work experiences in the summer. I have already secured a place at a local firm, but having already worked with small, local firms I wanted to try working with some of the bigger firms in London. Securing a place with one of these is not easy at all though, as in fact they do seem to be quite popular.
University of Bath
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yeslordsugar)
Hi,

Well done for thinking about the options. I'm a first year civil engineer and the civil engineers work with the*architects*quite a lot at*bath.*

In terms of taking an art Alevel, undertaking an Art/Design qualification is the preferred option. However should this opportunity not be available at your school/college, please detail this within your personal statement. We would encourage you to take an art foundation year before studying architecture if you do not have suitable qualifications in art and design.*

If an Art/Design option is not available, you will need to tell us in your personal statement about the extent of your skills, knowledge and any extra curricular studies that may evidence your ability in this field.

We do not require the submission of a portfolio as part of the selection process.

The full entry requirements for architecture are here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prosp...equirements/.*

In terms of which course to do, try and think through the options, muddles and future. It took me ages to decide which course was right for me, and work experience, open days, summer schools all help. Whilst of course I haven't experienced any other university, I know that*Bath*are one of the only universities where the civil engineering and architecture department are combined. This means that the two course share some modules and inevitably*architects*do some of the 'mathsy' modules that you may normally associate with civil engineering. If you are considering both civil and architecture then we also have a combined course that you may be interested in.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Rob
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.3%
No (623)
72.7%

Watched Threads