Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am trying to get as much info as I can about what the course contains as the registration date is 7th January so running out of time.

I have looked on the website and see it contains module/s on calculus but only mentions a bit about distance and time which was included in my IGSCE maths course. Is it a lot more involved than what was learnt in IGCSE?

Similarly, vector and matrix mathematics, is this quite in depth. I am looking for some good study in these areas. To give you an idea, I want to learn about indexing document text and one method is the Vector Space Model. Is vector space studied in depth.

I want to ensure that the course is going to help me a lot with these areas especially the calculus before I decide to pay as I have to pay full price living in the Channel Islands so a lot of money for one module. I also want to continue on to essential Maths 2 before I decide whether to go down a computer studies route or a maths only, or even computers with maths as second subject.

Thanks very much
    Paul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syvers)
    Hi,

I am trying to get as much info as I can about what the course contains as the registration date is 7th January so running out of time.

I have looked on the website and see it contains module/s on calculus but only mentions a bit about distance and time which was included in my IGSCE maths course. Is it a lot more involved than what was learnt in IGCSE?

Similarly, vector and matrix mathematics, is this quite in depth. I am looking for some good study in these areas. To give you an idea, I want to learn about indexing document text and one method is the Vector Space Model. Is vector space studied in depth.

I want to ensure that the course is going to help me a lot with these areas especially the calculus before I decide to pay as I have to pay full price living in the Channel Islands so a lot of money for one module. I also want to continue on to essential Maths 2 before I decide whether to go down a computer studies route or a maths only, or even computers with maths as second subject.

Thanks very much
    Paul
    I'm doing Essential Mathematics 1. It consists of algebra, graphs and equations, functions, trigonometry, coordinate geometry and vectors, differentiation, integration, matrices, sequences and series, taylor polynomials and complex numbers.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks MUJ121. It sounds like there is a bit of overlap between it and the IGCSE higher maths which might be a good thing as it will ease me into it gently. I need to do this plus MST125 as it seems like a good way to get started and whether I choose to stay with the OU or transfer the credits once passed can be something left for another day. It's just a lot of money and we get no financial assistance here in channel islands so I was hoping to ensure it would be quite in depth at east a lot more than the IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syvers)
    Thanks MUJ121. It sounds like there is a bit of overlap between it and the IGCSE higher maths which might be a good thing as it will ease me into it gently. I need to do this plus MST125 as it seems like a good way to get started and whether I choose to stay with the OU or transfer the credits once passed can be something left for another day. It's just a lot of money and we get no financial assistance here in channel islands so I was hoping to ensure it would be quite in depth at east a lot more than the IGCSE.
    Hi,

Two things:
    1. You can register for the course by the 8th but you don't have to pay until the 15th, so by all means register because there is no obligation to pay at that point

2.There are 12 units, as someone else already described. The first couple of units are basically no higher than GCSE level. The next few units are predominantly GCSE with some AS work. The remainder of the course is basically AS and A2 level.

I do not begin MST125 until next month so unfortunately I cannot speak for all of the units. However, a preliminary look seems to indicate that it is university level - above A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I have registered and sent an email asking for more detail, I was concerned they would not get back to me before the registration date but this has been moved to the 15th so have time to wait for them, should be within next 5 days. Thanks for your help.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.