Does Anyone want to go to university in Germany? Watch

Gott der Zweite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was wondering whether how English A levels are accepted by German universities and so which ones would be realistic. Is there anyone who is determined to do this also and what are they doing or have been doing towards this; I am in year 12. My German is not perfect, so info on where does English courses also would be useful. Thanks
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hoping to go to uni in Munich
Gott der Zweite
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
Hoping to go to uni in Munich
What A levels are you doing? What are the entry requirements, do you know? Do you speak German?
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gott der Zweite)
What A levels are you doing? What are the entry requirements, do you know? Do you speak German?
I'm doing Maths,Chemistry,Economics and English.. I did German at GCSEs and I think Munich want something like AAB
Gott der Zweite
Rep:
?
I'm doing Maths,Chemistry,Economics and English.. I did German at GCSEs and I think Munich want something like AAB
Is GCSE German enough, I thought foreign students had to be b3 in German, which is basically fluent. Or are there courses in English?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did consider a German university before discovering they were private and the fees were about £20k/yr (whoops)

Eunicas are a good place to start searching, and I visited a Student World fair for more information. They both focus on foreign universities that teach in English.
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is GCSE German enough, I thought foreign students had to be b3 in German, which is basically fluent. Or are there courses in English?
No German unis do courses in English so there isn't really a language barrier
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was wondering whether how English A levels are accepted by German universities and so which ones would be realistic. Is there anyone who is determined to do this also and what are they doing or have been doing towards this; I am in year 12. My German is not perfect, so info on where does English courses also would be useful. Thanks
This website: http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/8-bes...ional-students

suggests that courses taught in English are not specific to particular universities - instead you need to check whether a subject at a particular university is taught in German or in English. There is a link at the end of that webpage to some more detailed information.

I have previously been told that particular university subjects at German universities may require particular A-levels and GCSEs to have been studied previously, so that is another area to check carefully.

Had you seen this link previously?

https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nach...ht-university/
Back Pain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why make University harder for yourself by having to learn German on top of course material?

Do some people just like being under unbearable pressure?
Gott der Zweite
Rep:
?
No German unis do courses in English so there isn't really a language barrier
Do you mean you want to do a course in German with GCSE German?

This page on their website seems to say that they do, some if few English courses and that all exchange students must be at B1 German, which I think might be about an A* at GCSE but I think you aught to have a look

http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/studen...nts/index.html
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you mean you want to do a course in German with GCSE German?

This page on their website seems to say that they do, some if few English courses and that all exchange students must be at B1 German, which I think might be about an A* at GCSE but I think you aught to have a look

http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/studen...nts/index.html
I know the Free University in Berlin has courses in English too
Gott der Zweite
Rep:
?
I know the Free University in Berlin has courses in English too
Were you aware of Munich's language requirements?
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Were you aware of Munich's language requirements?
Nope
cdude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by loperdoper)
I did consider a German university before discovering they were private and the fees were about £20k/yr (whoops)

Eunicas are a good place to start searching, and I visited a Student World fair for more information. They both focus on foreign universities that teach in English.

Which country are you looking at now for uni?

I've been researching Dutch unis but I'm finding it tricky to find the difficulty level. In the UK you just look at the entry requirements but in Holland- they only requirement is to pass your high school exams..
Gott der Zweite
Rep:
?
Nope
What did you get at GCSE? As I say, I think B1 might just be an A*, but I think its suspiciously low, as I have seen other universities who are B3. You'd be able to self-teach B1 quite easily
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What did you get at GCSE? As I say, I think B1 might just be an A*, but I think its suspiciously low, as I have seen other universities who are B3. You'd be able to self-teach B1 quite easily
I got 7 As and 7 Bs
Back Pain
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'I was wondering'. Oh, so you're not wondering anymore? If so, this thread is no longer relevant, but if you are still wondering, you should use 'I am wondering' or even 'I've been wondering'.

My advice: Learn English before attempting to learn another language.
Gott der Zweite
Rep:
?
I got 7 As and 7 Bs
I don't know about an A in German, are you learning German now, if so investigate language requirements and I don't fully understand the B1 thing (it sounds to good to be true)
Gott der Zweite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Back Pain)
'I was wondering'. Oh, so you're not wondering anymore? If so, this thread is no longer relevant, but if you are still wondering, you should use 'I am wondering' or even 'I've been wondering'.

My advice: Learn English before attempting to learn another language.
Are you sure? 'I have been wondering' means not any more, like I have wondered. May be wrong
Back Pain
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you sure? 'I have been wondering' means not any more, like I have wondered. May be wrong
I'm not sure, but surely 'I was wondering' is completely wrong because it implies that you were wondering in the distant past, and aren't 'wondering' in the present unless you state that 'I am wondering'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads