Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is it possible to get into engineering (probably mechanical) without physics?

I'm taking Biol, Chem, Maths and IT, probably will drop IT after AS.Will I be unable to apply for engineering due to a lack of physics, even if I got As? I have a good aptitude for it (I think) and am really regretting not taking physics... but the teacher is a total ******** and couldn't put up with him for 2 more years! althought in hindsight I should have taken it.

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Chemical Engineering?

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat as you. I truly regret not taking Physics seeing as its needed for most engineering courses.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it depends on what kind of engineering course you want to do...

ReputationRep:
    yeh chem eng is an option if it interest you, or if not you could do a foundation year? top uni's will prob want physics though..

ReputationRep:
    i didnt take any physics (in heinsight i should taken it instead of ICT) and got into warwick which is on top 10 of uni's i think. A mechanics module in maths would be helpful and an A* in physics at GSCE would also be beneficial. So far i dont feel disadvantaged with not having physics but i only started the course 3 weeks ago so i shall wait and see

ReputationRep:
    You will need physics for everything but chemical I expect.

ReputationRep:
    Civil engineering. you don't need Physics for that, well for some universitives anyways.

ReputationRep:
    You’ll be fine without physics most unis don’t ask for it your chem and bio will do as they are science subjects
    you just need math lots of math perfectly it should be further math

ReputationRep:
    yeah and also in maths and further maths ^^ try to do a few of the mechanics units..becasuse they are basically physics

ReputationRep:
    OK, so if I do mechanics in maths and maybe further maths, I can still get into Mechanical engineering? I was thinking maybe motorsport engineering, although this would restrict me in the fields I can work in, just that would be an awesome job for me, working on race bikes or cars.

ReputationRep:
    all you have to do is check on ucas, search for automative engineering on your chosen uni and see how many do / do not require physics

ReputationRep:
    I already have, and nearly all engineering required physics, just wondering whether they would take an AAAa applicant with Biol, Chem, Maths and IT over a ABBb applicant which includes Physics, for example

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here got a clue what they are on about.
    Any mechanical course (automotive, straight mech etc) from a decent institution will require physics and WILL NOT require further maths. They might like it, but not having further maths will not prevent you from getting a place on a good mechanical course, but not having physics will.
    These are near enough facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neilan)
    Has anyone here got a clue what they are on about.
    Any mechanical course (automotive, straight mech etc) from a decent institution will require physics and WILL NOT require further maths. They might like it, but not having further maths will not prevent you from getting a place on a good mechanical course, but not having physics will.
    These are near enough facts.
    .........but....have you read the thread? lol he said he didn't do physics ¬¬ so we are thinking of ----alternative----way for him to get into Eng course
    If it all doesn't work out (and you are not losing anything for trying this year, because he can't just get an A in physics out of nowhere), then he has to take a year out and do the Physics A level...just keep in mind that there are always ways around things.

M1 is basically AS Physics because you start to learn projectiles, and most people who are doing physics have problem with projectiles (or spend quite a long time for it to soak in). And then people learn Newton's Laws of motion and linear uniform acceleration (suvat equations). In M2 you already begin to get into the mechanics side which even A2 physics doesn't get into (i.e Coulomb's model). Things like momentum, conversion between energy work and power, impluse are all part of A level physics syllabus. Nevermind about M3...if he gets really high marks for these units, doesn't he show the ability to do well in a Engineering undergraduate course? Makes me laugh how people do better in physics units when they get lower mark for the Mechanics units in maths...doesn't that say a lot of things?

If he has a really good reason why he didn't take up Physics, with really high grades in mechanics units, do a brilliant interview (i.e solve all the maths questions) show them the ability to do physics...you will be suprised what kind of things would happen. Nevertheless, all of these are ifs, that's why I didn't say -anything- about his chance of getting in or not.
    And also all of these depend largely on what universities he is applying for..

ReputationRep:
    Engineering, though I agree does depend on the exact course you choose, is, i believe, by and large more difficult without taking physics.

Be prepared to hit the books hard from day 1 if you do decide and get into an engineering course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jez06)
    Engineering, though I agree does depend on the exact course you choose, is, i believe, by and large more difficult without taking physics.
    That, just to say, you posted; is, by a large amount, very descriptive. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Are there foundation years, like there is for medicine and vet med, so that people applying to med without the sciences at a level can do an extra year, is there the same thing for engineering?

Really like the idea of mechanical or motorsport engineering. Some of the motorsport courses don't require physics (BEng) but the MEng do. If I get onto a BEng course am I able to transfer or do an extra year to get the Masters?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2006

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.