Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone need help with Edexcel AS Geography? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I took these exams last year and did very well in them and was wondering if anyone needs any assistance in the new year with units 1 or 2.

I studied all of unit 1 obviously, and Extreme Weather and Rebranding Places in unit 2.

I'm applying for Geography at university and I feel helping other people would be a good way for me to keep on top of topics I may forget while studying the A2.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations for doing well!! I'm interested in doing Geo at uni too, not about the topic but what grade did you get in AS and what uni do you plan on going to to study it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubayyy)
    Congratulations for doing well!! I'm interested in doing Geo at uni too, not about the topic but what grade did you get in AS and what uni do you plan on going to to study it ?
    Thank you! I got a very high A My top choice of uni is Sheffield who ask for AAB and I'm predicted A*AB so hopefully I will be achieve this

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats amazing well done!! I'm hoping for similar grades also at As do you have any techiniques on how to revise it : ive already written up all my notes i nneat and gone through the spec so that i have all the right detail any other advice you might add?

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats amazing well done!! I'm hoping for similar grades also at As do you have any techiniques on how to revise it : ive already written up all my notes i nneat and gone through the spec so that i have all the right detail any other advice you might add?
    Hm it might be a bit early days but what I basically did was do as many past papers as possible and focus on the mark schemes. They'll help you see what your exam board wants to see and what kind of structure they want etc

ReputationRep:
    Thank you , yeah i probably wont start doing past papers yet as otherwise I'll have finished them by the time it comes around !! What place did you base the Re branding places on i think we will do it on the generation of London during the Olympics?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you , yeah i probably wont start doing past papers yet as otherwise I'll have finished them by the time it comes around !! What place did you base the Re branding places on i think we will do it on the generation of London during the Olympics?
    My main one was Manchester and how the Commonwealth games helped rebrand it as we went on fieldwork there, so for the like 15 markers on how you'd carry out an investigation that was what I used

But I'm fairly sure I did mention London Olympics in a 10 marker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveUncle)
    My main one was Manchester and how the Commonwealth games helped rebrand it as we went on fieldwork there, so for the like 15 markers on how you'd carry out an investigation that was what I used

But I'm fairly sure I did mention London Olympics in a 10 marker!
    Ah that sound good was it challenging or did you manage it ok? Did you also prefer it to unit 1?

ReputationRep:
    Ah that sound good was it challenging or did you manage it ok? Did you also prefer it to unit 1?
    I found unit 2 is be easier than unit 1 just because the 15 markers are very predictable if you look through past papers and you can quite easily adapt what you know/make up stuff for the exam once you know what the examiners want, buuuuut I preferred unit 1 because it's actually interesting to me at least.

Unit 1 definitely has some tricky parts like in my exam they asked us to define carbon footprint and I'm fairly sure it's never defined in the textbook so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveUncle)
    I found unit 2 is be easier than unit 1 just because the 15 markers are very predictable if you look through past papers and you can quite easily adapt what you know/make up stuff for the exam once you know what the examiners want, buuuuut I preferred unit 1 because it's actually interesting to me at least.

Unit 1 definitely has some tricky parts like in my exam they asked us to define carbon footprint and I'm fairly sure it's never defined in the textbook so!
    Ahh ok thats good then does it feel like coursework?
    ON unit one i am loving the physical geo side but hating the human , its so boring and repetitive about globalisation, TNCs ect..!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok thats good then does it feel like coursework?
    ON unit one i am loving the physical geo side but hating the human , its so boring and repetitive about globalisation, TNCs ect..!
    Hm I don't think it felt like coursework because I hate coursework haha

And yes I fully agree! The courses I'm applying to are environmental/physical geography, human is so boring! Revising it was the worst part of AS because of how boring it is haha

ReputationRep:
    Awesome Thats the exact course I am interested in applying too!! I find it so much more interesting !!
    Do you have any idea of the career path you want to take with the degree after, like consultancy or somethign?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome Thats the exact course I am interested in applying too!! I find it so much more interesting !!
    Do you have any idea of the career path you want to take with the degree after, like consultancy or somethign?
    Hm something sciency like something in climatology maybe? Climate change is probably my favourite aspect of the subject so anything like that would make me happy Tbh I wouldn't mind being a Geography teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i am finding the climate change topic really interesitngas we didnt cover it in GCSE plus jobs will be in high demand due to its a current global thing!! Aw nice!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i am finding the climate change topic really interesitngas we didnt cover it in GCSE plus jobs will be in high demand due to its a current global thing!! Aw nice!!
    I'm the same Plate tectonics and climatic hazards were as interesting as it got at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Yep me too!! Are you looking forward to uni?

ReputationRep:
    Yep me too!! Are you looking forward to uni?
    Yeah I think so it'll be interesting to live so far from home as most of my choices are up north and be independent at stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm the same I live on the IOW and i want to go to a city thinking maybe Manchester/Leeds/Cardiff so it wil lbe a whole new experience but i cant wait!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm the same I live on the IOW and i want to go to a city thinking maybe Manchester/Leeds/Cardiff so it wil lbe a whole new experience but i cant wait!
    Oh wow so you're like surrounded by physical geography haha Cardiff only do human geography btw although they do do environmental science

I wanted to go to Cardiff as my mum went there however no good geography course

ReputationRep:
    Yep i know going to be so handy when we do crowded coasts!! we can basically dedicate the paper to ourselves aha~!!
    Aw man that really sucks!!! Im ight look into Sheffield actually as I've heard good thigns about i!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 4, 2015

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.