The Student Room Group

Are men turned off by smart women?

Are intellectual women desirable to men or are too many four-syllable words a turn-off?
I very rarely see intellect and achievement presented as a desirable trait in women. To me it's usually the women who play the ''dumb blonde'' game that are popular with the men. Are men driven to become biologically excited by what a woman can offer them physically foremost? Or is being challenged mentally an aphrodisiac of sorts also? What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LoStInIdEaFlOoD
Are intellectual women desirable to men or are too many four-syllable words a turn-off?
I very rarely see intellect and achievement presented as a desirable trait in women. To me it's usually the women who play the ''dumb blonde'' game that are popular with the men. Are men driven to become biologically excited by what a woman can offer them physically foremost? Or is being challenged mentally an aphrodisiac of sorts also? What are your thoughts?

That's a load of crap for me personally, intelligence is very, very attractive. In fact its a prerequisite (sp?) for me
Reply 2
I can see it being scary for stupid guys, but for smarter guys Im sure its not a problem
I think a lot of boys like to be the more intelligent one in a relationship.. And a lot of girls like them to be too. That's a massive generalisation of course..
Even the dumb, chav types are impressed by a smart girl.
i am no chab but intellectual girls confound me - they can be complicated creatures
Reply 6
LoStInIdEaFlOoD

youve got it the other way round :confused:
LoStInIdEaFlOoD
I very rarely see intellect and achievement presented as a desirable trait in women.

Same applies for blokes.
Reply 8
LoStInIdEaFlOoD

i absolutely love a girl with intellect!!!!! its soo cool - most girls i go out with are just average but a girl with intellect .......... just wow!!!!
Jools
Same applies for blokes.

shame in many ways - but i am sure that doesnt apply to every girl's perspective of desirability in men
Reply 10
Jools
Same applies for blokes.

what, u mean intellect and achievement are rarely presented as being desirable in BLOKES?! Everyone knows girls love guys like that! The corporate executive, in his suit and tie....nice :wink: All my friends certainly see intellegent, poweful men as being the ideal.
Reply 11
and so do i :biggrin:
Reply 12
I'd be turned off by dumb women. I couldn't think of anything less appealing than listen to her talk about peroxide and manicures.
i think it depends on the intellectual level of the other partner. obviously for intelligent guys they are going to want a girl they can have a decent conversation with, whereas if they are not so intellectual then having a girlfriend more intelligent than them may seem a bit intimidating. personally i couldn't go out with a guy who wasn't able to have an intelligent conversation with me...
Reply 14
G4ry
I'd be turned off by dumb women. I couldn't think of anything less appealing than listen to her talk about peroxide and manicures.

there's a big difference between being dumb and NOT being intelligent. Just because someone's not intelligent it doesn't automatically make them dumb.
Mustn't forget the matching hypothesis here ..
:biggrin:

Attracted to those similar to ourselves ..
grace
what, u mean intellect and achievement are rarely presented as being desirable in BLOKES?! Everyone knows girls love guys like that! The corporate executive, in his suit and tie....nice :wink: All my friends certainly see intellegent, poweful men as being the ideal.

Not in my experience. People (both girls and guys) are really impressed with successes and achievements, but it's never a turn-on.
Reply 17
Yep, its all down to looks, style, personality im afraid.
Reply 18
Jools
Not in my experience. People (both girls and guys) are really impressed with successes and achievements, but it's never a turn-on.

yes it is. It's a major turn-on. My ultimate fantasy actually.There's a difference between being 'intellectual' and being a geek, and the intellectual men of this world are the ones with the power, the money, the confidence and the charisma (major generalisation here) and all those things are TURN ONS.
Marry me. :tongue: