Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    you including yourself in that lonely bracket then Jools
    Partly, but for me it doesn't matter 'cos I'm not interested in a relationship right now, no time whatsoever and seems more hassle/pain than its worth unless you're with mr/mrs perfect. Though in the past any success I've had has had absolutely nothing to do with what uni I'm at, what I've achieved, money etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Partly, but for me it doesn't matter 'cos I'm not interested in a relationship right now, no time whatsoever and seems more hassle/pain than its worth unless you're with mr/mrs perfect. Though in the past any success I've had has had absolutely nothing to do with what uni I'm at, what I've achieved, money etc.
    good for you Jools - i think that it is important to be in charge of your feelings - i often have fallen suspect to my heart. depends what period of your life you are in i suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    see - i have first hand experience of exactly that - trust me no one is impressed by you trying to impress them - they just call it arrogance and dont want to talk to you ever again
    well it depends how you do it! No one likes having a list of achievments spat out at them, however if you're subtle about it, the achievements retain an air of mystery which is irresistable! There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance...confidence=sexy. Arrogance is not.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the achievements which girls find most attractive are usually captin of whatever sports team. Rugby/football, well thats what its like here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    well it depends how you do it! No one likes having a list of achievments spat out at them, however if you're subtle about it, the achievements retain an air of mystery which is irresistable! There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance...confidence=sexy. Arrogance is not.
    well in my view confidence can be misinterpreted as arrogance - and it is not helped when the other person (namely the girl in my case) doesnt tell you that she feels that you could tone down a little but continually laughs at you as though she was enjoying it all along ... women are complicated without doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    I think that the achievements which girls find most attractive are usually captin of whatever sports team. Rugby/football, well thats what its like here.
    true true...but i only get turned on by that when i think about it in conjunction with intelligence ie, captain of the rugby team AND prefect who gets good grades If you mean the David Beckham type, he's attractive until he opens his mouth. Then i want to run the other way. It's like what practically every bloke i know says about Jessica Simpson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    True. On this site I can come across as arrogant a lot (usually 'cos I'm trying to help people by referring to my own experience). In face-to-face reality I'm quite different, the "air of mystery" about achievements does interest and intrigue people but it's hardly "irresistable" !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    True. On this site I can come across as arrogant a lot (usually 'cos I'm trying to help people by referring to my own experience). In face-to-face reality I'm quite different, the "air of mystery" about achievements does interest and intrigue people but it's hardly "irresistable" !
    lol, maybe you don't leave enough mystery for it to be so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I'm actually saying the opposite - a lot of the most ambitious and successful people in the uni have little luck, compared to the 'ordinary' lazy pub-dwellers!
    Woman are definitely attracted to intelligent guys. I understand where you're coming from though- smarter than average guys have an advantage over others in many areas of life but are perhaps not as succesful with women (some of them) I think some overly-intellectual guys allow their brains to jeopardise their chances of success with women. For example they may view dating in a logical fashion, ie say they fail with woman a few times and figure out that they can't be successful in dating they assume that the problem is unsolvable-if it had a solution they would have been capable of solving it otherwise. They refuse to accept that someone less intelligent could come up with an alternative workable answer and tend to discount ideas before trying them. Many clever guys have poor social skills-this does not involve theories or knowledge-they're simply skills that you have to practise like every other person. They tend to focus more on logic than emotion-while they excel in their minds they can be very weak emotionally. Obviously this doesn't apply to all smart men but many may think like this, ie display information skills alone leading them to be not-so-succesful with women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    Woman are definitely attracted to intelligent guys. I understand where you're coming from though- smarter than average guys have an advantage over others in many areas of life but are perhaps not as succesful with women (some of them) I think some overly-intellectual guys allow their brains to jeopardise their chances of success with women. For example they may view dating in a logical fashion, ie say they fail with woman a few times and figure out that they can't be successful in dating they assume that the problem is unsolvable-if it had a solution they would have been capable of solving it otherwise. They refuse to accept that someone less intelligent could come up with an alternative workable answer and tend to discount ideas before trying them. Many clever guys have poor social skills-this does not involve theories or knowledge-they're simply skills that you have to practise like every other person. They tend to focus more on logic than emotion-while they excel in their minds they can be very weak emotionally. Obviously this doesn't apply to all smart men but many may think like this, ie display information skills alone leading them to be not-so-succesful with women.
    Sounds like me down to a tee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Sounds like me down to a tee.
    just a random question off the topic...are you the...erm..."chicken devil?!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It's probably not wise for me to me to talk about this in a public forum when the uni gossip columns monitor my every word but sod it... Basically throughout GCSEs, A-Levels etc my grades, uni offer etc didn't mean that much to me, there was one thing missing from my life... then after getting experiencing it in my 1st yr at uni and subsequently getting head completely ****ed with, realised how it's really not worth it, and can cause so much pain - look how upset people get following breakups, and how much a waste of time it is. So in my 2nd year I just got involved in so much, working 20hr days to take my mind off it all... single & never been happier. It's partially what attracts me to the world of IB/law... the long hours will keep my mind off it all. If something comes my way then fine, but I'm not going to waste time searching for it.
    i wouldnt have agreed with you once upon a time ... but you make a lot of sense - "just let it come to you" is the attitude i shall take from now on! good stuff Jools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    just a random question off the topic...are you the...erm..."chicken devil?!"
    Yes, I am he

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am he
    lol! i think we must be kindred spirits...a few people in my spanish class and i have an insider's joke about 'el pavo diablo'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    lol! i think we must be kindred spirits...a few people in my spanish class and i have an insider's joke about 'el pavo diablo'
    lol I just nicked it from an old computer game called the Curse of Monkey Island

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    i have the same problem - and i am being serious

ReputationRep:
    lol I just nicked it from an old computer game called the Curse of Monkey Island
    :mad: here i thought we were kindred spirits. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    :mad: here i thought we were kindred spirits. *sigh*
    Sorry, I'm sure we are really. There'll be a subconscious reason why I chose it

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm sure we are really. There'll be a subconscious reason why I chose it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    However i think that it is also worth pointing out because many of these things are true, if you are bright (am not suggesting for one moment this is me) then you can be sterotyped into this model of bright but socially poor. I personally believe that a conversation can be made between any two people if both want to have it. I think often with people who are bright the oposite sex are put off by the image projected by the media of intelligent people who are clueless in social situations. This in term has a knock on effect that the bright person cannot feel confident and thus is more nervous and fails more in social situations.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.