Writing samples for postgrad philosophy - breadth or depth?

Watch
Maestosa
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm applying for the Oxford BPhil in philosophy. I have several philosophy of science essays which all have high Firsts, but I'm debating whether to include part of a political philosophy essay which only got a 70. I think its arguments are decent but it doesn't draw on as much literature as the other essays, so that might look bad.

My degree is in Hebrew and Philosophy of Science, so I think it's important to indicate that I know about more than one area. But maybe the transcript would suffice for that.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Two essays in the same branch or one of each?
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
In your shoes I would prefer to send a piece of work that was most subject relevant to show the skills that you feel are most important to demonstrate to your application and as you say a transcript of marks will show your overall ability anyway. Besides 70 is a strong mark anyway.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maestosa)
I'm applying for the Oxford BPhil in philosophy. I have several philosophy of science essays which all have high Firsts, but I'm debating whether to include part of a political philosophy essay which only got a 70. I think its arguments are decent but it doesn't draw on as much literature as the other essays, so that might look bad.

My degree is in Hebrew and Philosophy of Science, so I think it's important to indicate that I know about more than one area. But maybe the transcript would suffice for that.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Two essays in the same branch or one of each?
Slightly off topic, but where are you studying that? That's an interesting degree combo
Maestosa
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
In your shoes I would prefer to send a piece of work that was most subject relevant to show the skills that you feel are most important to demonstrate to your application and as you say a transcript of marks will show your overall ability anyway. Besides 70 is a strong mark anyway.
Thank you. They're both branches of philosophy, so both areas are relevant. It's more a question of whether to send two samples from the same area (I can send up to two essays), or to vary it.

(Original post by Slowbro93)
Slightly off topic, but where are you studying that? That's an interesting degree combo
UCL. Officially it's Hebrew and History and Philosophy of Science. It sounds bizarre but, works for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.74%
Okay (110)
28.95%
A bit lacking (142)
37.37%
Not good at all (91)
23.95%

Watched Threads