Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone play silent night (the christmas song) on guitar? Im learning to strum and it sounds right but bland, like there are some sounds that shouldn't be there:confused: I know that you only pluck the bottom 5 strings on chord C so thats what im doing, Im strumming all 6 strings for chords G and F. How can I make it sound better is there any such thing as good strumming?

Maybe one of you with a guitar could play this so I know how it should sound?

http://www.geocities.com/etheltheaar...ightchords.txt

ReputationRep:
    For F, if it isn't a barre (spelling?) chord then you want to strum just the highest 4 strings.

ReputationRep:
    don't pluck the strings for a start. Let the fingers/plectrum lightly touch the strings.

Figure out which notes you want to sound prominently and make sure your hardest point of the stroke is on those notes.

ReputationRep:
    It's a super boring song if you strum it.

Try picking the notes individually, up and down the chord. Try different voicings, say up at the 8th fret. You could spice up the chords too - as a lead into the F try Em. As a lead into the G try Am7. Then over the first "sleep in heavenly peace" try the progression G-Bm7b5-C-Am7b5.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, the last two posts just said opposing points!
    "don't pluck the strings for a start. Let the fingers/plectrum lightly touch the strings."
    "Try picking the notes individually, up and down the chord"

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.