Turn on thread page Beta

Returning to University after I finish my current course. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently in a Apprenticeship program doing Electrical Engineering and although I do enjoy it I want to return to university either part time or leave my job and go full time. I was just wondering firstly:

1. Is it easy to do? I have currently received a grants and assume I won't get them again if I go back. So financially how much money would I need to pay for courses and living if I was to do it part time or full time.

2. What good courses are there for business mainly aimed towards marketing and/or accounting, again both part time and/or full time. Preferably within the Cardiff area but I will travel if needed.

ReputationRep:
    How far are you into the apprentice ship? Before leaping into full time education, ask the university your interested in, speak to other members of the forum in Cardiff, research the pros and cons.

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my first year so I have got another 3 years left so I am researching well in advance just to make sure I am making the correct decision.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way I would be leaving a decent apprenticeship in Electrical Engineering for a Uni course in Business studies. Unless your job and training is truly crap or you really hate it I would urge you to think twice. Once you have finished your apprenticeship you will have a qualification and extensive real world experience, you will be way ahead of most other people in your age bracket who only have 3/4 years at Uni + some retail work.

If you want a degree badly then would you consider studying part-time or distance learning (such as the Open University) ?

ReputationRep:
    That's the sort of reply I was hoping for when I posted this. My training is good and I will get a HND and can go in for the degree once my apprenticeship is finished caused my company will pay for it. The only problem that I have is that it's in a field that I really don't want to work In. (Money issues and other reasons for why I took it in the first place.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powis1994)
    That's the sort of reply I was hoping for when I posted this. My training is good and I will get a HND and can go in for the degree once my apprenticeship is finished caused my company will pay for it. The only problem that I have is that it's in a field that I really don't want to work In. (Money issues and other reasons for why I took it in the first place.)
    I assume you are learning a range of skills already too, many will be transferable to a different career. Unless you want to be a brain surgeon or something....?

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. I'm learning a range of skills from a engineering point of view. But I want to be more behind the scenes In terms of accountancy and maketing than on the tools. And if I did apply for other jobs in these areas I don't think they'd see my training as a positive thing for one of them roles.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about night time college, colleges offer business studies in the evenings.

ReputationRep:
    I have considered it but I've not looked into it fully, basically she to the fact that I'm unaware of where to start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Edit: I have looked briefly in the past and have just had a quick scan and I can't find any night classes/evening classes near me. There's part time but if that's through the day then I am unable to attend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.