The Student Room Group

Can I take myself off of the pill?

I've been on Loestrin for 3 weeks now (not long I know) but I can't take it anymore. It's making me tired, headache, emotional (I will cry at anything.. earlier because I thought about my cat missing me when I move back to uni next week) I also think it could be making my anxiety worse, cramps, longer periods, increased libido, feeling sad a lot (I'm usually a happy person)

I've tried two other pills but they just didn't agree with me for numerous reasons so I had to switch. I'm on the pill for health reasons. I still want to be on the pill but I can't get any new ones for over a week and I can't handle being on these any longer. Is it okay to stop taking these ones, let them get out of my system and then start taking different ones?
Can you check the instructions that came with them and see what it says?
Reply 2
Original post by autumn-colours
Can you check the instructions that came with them and see what it says?

I haven't got them with me, I'm at home and the instructions are at uni halls.
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I haven't got them with me, I'm at home and the instructions are at uni halls.

I suggest googling the name of the tablet. Quite often the manufacturer has an online copy of them/information leaflet about the pills.
Reply 4
I suggest you go to your local doctor and ask them what you should do
Reply 5
Original post by Tarims
I suggest you go to your local doctor and ask them what you should do

They're weird about seeing me as I am no longer registered with them

I suggest googling the name of the tablet. Quite often the manufacturer has an online copy of them/information leaflet about the pills.

I just have and it mentions nothing about just stopping taking them.
Reply 6
Got to you pharmacy and ask them as if you are on them for health reason it is better to get a professional opinion chick.
I've been on Loestrin for 3 weeks now (not long I know) but I can't take it anymore. It's making me tired, headache, emotional (I will cry at anything.. earlier because I thought about my cat missing me when I move back to uni next week) I also think it could be making my anxiety worse, cramps, longer periods, increased libido, feeling sad a lot (I'm usually a happy person)

I've tried two other pills but they just didn't agree with me for numerous reasons so I had to switch. I'm on the pill for health reasons. I still want to be on the pill but I can't get any new ones for over a week and I can't handle being on these any longer. Is it okay to stop taking these ones, let them get out of my system and then start taking different ones?

Obviously I'm not a professional and I'm not advising you to do anything but ... I had issues with my pill earlier this year so took myself off of it for just over a month. I had no problems at all with doing so.. but when I started to take it again I had to adjust being back on it which took a few months.

You've only been on your pill for three weeks and although you are struggling with it they do advise that it can take a few cycles for it to adjust to you .. obviously its your body and you know what your threshold is regarding tolerance.

Additionally as you have said that you are on it for health reasons, it might be an idea to just pop to your local pharmacy and just ask they're opinion.. it's always always something worthwhile doing if you can't get to a doctor.

Best of luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just have and it mentions nothing about just stopping taking them.

"you may stop taking the pill whenever you wish".

To see where I found this, google
"loestrin manufacturer" click first link: loloestrin.com
"making the switch to loestrin"
at bottom of page "FDA - Approved Patient Information Leaflet"
then "continue to labelling information"
page 9 pdf near bottom under "what if I want to become pregnant"

to go directly try:
http://pi.actavis.com/data_stream.asp?product_group=1881&p=ppi&language=E

Obviously you may not want to be pregnant but the principle of stopping is the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Which loestrin are you on?

I'm on the 20 dose and it's much better than the 30! Not as strong I was on mixrochronira and another pill that began with le whilst I had the implant in my arm. But these pills were too strong for me and caused my heart to go weird. Maybe ask to go onto loestrin 20 as it's meant to be the pain pill that causes fewer side affects as it's a low hormone dose pill.

I think you have to finish a whole pack of pills 21 and have the 7 day break and then you can stop. If u stop the pill without 21 days coverage the chance of getting pregnant are higher.

If your having issues bc of the pill try the copper coil as no hormones are released from it. 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by BuzzyBeee
Obviously I'm not a professional and I'm not advising you to do anything but ... I had issues with my pill earlier this year so took myself off of it for just over a month. I had no problems at all with doing so.. but when I started to take it again I had to adjust being back on it which took a few months.

You've only been on your pill for three weeks and although you are struggling with it they do advise that it can take a few cycles for it to adjust to you .. obviously its your body and you know what your threshold is regarding tolerance.

Additionally as you have said that you are on it for health reasons, it might be an idea to just pop to your local pharmacy and just ask they're opinion.. it's always always something worthwhile doing if you can't get to a doctor.

Best of luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I'm going to go to the chemist tomorrow and ask to speak to one of the pharmacists that work there because they should know what to do.

"you may stop taking the pill whenever you wish".

To see where I found this, google
"loestrin manufacturer" click first link: loloestrin.com
"making the switch to loestrin"
at bottom of page "FDA - Approved Patient Information Leaflet"
then "continue to labelling information"
page 9 pdf near bottom under "what if I want to become pregnant"

to go directly try:
http://pi.actavis.com/data_stream.asp?product_group=1881&p=ppi&language=E

Obviously you may not want to be pregnant but the principle of stopping is the same.

Thank you so much for your help!

Original post by kirsty007
Which loestrin are you on?

I'm on the 20 dose and it's much better than the 30! Not as strong I was on mixrochronira and another pill that began with le whilst I had the implant in my arm. But these pills were too strong for me and caused my heart to go weird. Maybe ask to go onto loestrin 20 as it's meant to be the pain pill that causes fewer side affects as it's a low hormone dose pill.

I think you have to finish a whole pack of pills 21 and have the 7 day break and then you can stop. If u stop the pill without 21 days coverage the chance of getting pregnant are higher.

If your having issues bc of the pill try the copper coil as no hormones are released from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on 30. I was meant to be put on Gedarel 20 but at the pharmacy they gave me 30 without realising so my doctor just decided to keep me on 30. Getting pregnant right now isn't going to happen so I'm not too worried about that I just want off of this pill. I haven't had this many issues with the others I have been on I'm guessing it's just this one that doesn't agree with me, I researched into it and a lot of people have had the same side effects as me so I'm not the only one sadly. Thank you for your help.
That's ok! Maybe try the coil no hormones are released. I had the implant in and it was awful! But each thing affects people in different ways! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by kirsty007
That's ok! Maybe try the coil no hormones are released. I had the implant in and it was awful! But each thing affects people in different ways! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll think about it, feel weird about having things inserted somewhere inside of me which is why I'd rather not have the coil or implant but we'll see, if the pill keeps causing me this much trouble I might have to consider it.

Quick Reply

Latest