The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

Hi,
I would like to study economics at university. I'm looking at the top universities like LSE, Warwick, Cambridge etc, maybe even America. I'm currently in year 11 and am deciding my a level options, I was thinking maths, further maths, history and geography would these be okay? I was also looking at taking psychology instead of geog or fm, or maybe even biology. I'm really interested in economics but for some reason I don't want to take it as an a level anymore, thoughts?
Thanks!
Original post by AYK21
Hi,
I would like to study economics at university. I'm looking at the top universities like LSE, Warwick, Cambridge etc, maybe even America. I'm currently in year 11 and am deciding my a level options, I was thinking maths, further maths, history and geography would these be okay? I was also looking at taking psychology instead of geog or fm, or maybe even biology. I'm really interested in economics but for some reason I don't want to take it as an a level anymore, thoughts?
Thanks!

Looks good! Maths, Further Maths, History and Geography would be a good combination. Those alternatives are also fine although it'd be better not to replace Further Maths (provided you think you can cope with it). I don't think you have to do Economics at A Level to do it at degree level but make sure you're doing plenty of outside reading to prove that you're enthusiastic about it.
Original post by AYK21
Hi,
Thanks!

Why don't you want to take it at A-Level if you want to study it in the future? Your combination of subjects is very good, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
Looks good! Maths, Further Maths, History and Geography would be a good combination. Those alternatives are also fine although it'd be better not to replace Further Maths (provided you think you can cope with it). I don't think you have to do Economics at A Level to do it at degree level but make sure you're doing plenty of outside reading to prove that you're enthusiastic about it.

Thanks for your reply! I think I should be able to handle further maths. Also is geography respected at universities because some of my friends said that an economics a level is more respected? Do my subjects show enough diversity and range aswell, because my mum said that I should take history/geography and a science/language instead of both geography and history?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Edminzodo
Why don't you want to take it at A-Level if you want to study it in the future? Your combination of subjects is very good, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! Will my combination be alright for the top 5 schools for economics though or would they prefer economics? Well my school put me off economics a level from the way they described it! Also I've heard that economics a level isn't relevant to the degree and it would be better to show diversity and that in the first year at uni you would be caught up on a level economics. Also because I don't want to drop any of the subjects I've chosen unless absolutely necessary. I could take economics as a fifth maybe...
Original post by AYK21
Thanks for your reply! I think I should be able to handle further maths. Also is geography respected at universities because some of my friends said that an economics a level is more respected? Do my subjects show enough diversity and range aswell, because my mum said that I should take history/geography and a science/language instead of both geography and history?

Geography is regarded as a facilitating subject so yes. When it comes to A-Levels, there are several priorities you should consider. Firstly, you obviously need the required subjects (i.e. Maths), which you have. Apart from that, it's a good idea to take as many relevant subjects as possible (Further Maths definitely is, Geography is probably slightly relevant). Economics would be more relevant than either History or Geography so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace either of them with that. However, it's also very important that you choose subjects that you'll enjoy and that you'll do well at, particularly if you're applying to top unis. Don't choose subjects for the sake of "having diversity" if it means you'll get AABB rather than AAAA.

Adding to Edminzodo's point, you don't need Economics but it could look weird that you didn't take it. Definitely not an expert on this but make sure you're dropping it for the right reasons (or perhaps, make sure you're choosing Economics at uni for the right reasons).
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
Geography is regarded as a facilitating subject so yes. When it comes to A-Levels, there are several priorities you should consider. Firstly, you obviously need the required subjects (i.e. Maths), which you have. Apart from that, it's a good idea to take as many relevant subjects as possible (Further Maths definitely is, Geography is probably slightly relevant). Economics would be more relevant than either History or Geography so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace either of them with that. However, it's also very important that you choose subjects that you'll enjoy and that you'll do well at, particularly if you're applying to top unis. Don't choose subjects for the sake of "having diversity" if it means you'll get AABB rather than AAAA.

Adding to Edminzodo's point, you don't need Economics but it could look weird that you didn't take it. Definitely not an expert on this but make sure you're dropping it for the right reasons (or perhaps, make sure you're choosing Economics at uni for the right reasons).

So would it make more sense to take Maths, Further Maths, History, and Economics? Do you know what economics is exactly at a level? Is it basically human geography with more analysis?
Original post by AYK21
So would it make more sense to take Maths, Further Maths, History, and Economics? Do you know what economics is exactly at a level? Is it basically human geography with more analysis?

As someone who hasn't taken Economics, that would sound like it makes more sense but honestly I don't know. You could email one of those unis to ask their opinion on A Level economics.
Original post by AYK21
Thanks for your reply! Will my combination be alright for the top 5 schools for economics though or would they prefer economics? Well my school put me off economics a level from the way they described it! Also I've heard that economics a level isn't relevant to the degree and it would be better to show diversity and that in the first year at uni you would be caught up on a level economics. Also because I don't want to drop any of the subjects I've chosen unless absolutely necessary. I could take economics as a fifth maybe...

I've heard that Geography has many similarities, but History is a good subject to have. I'd say pick your favourite out of those two, but if not, do both and keep up to date with Economics, read about it and perhaps take the AS in Y13.

Posted from TSR Mobile
to get into top unis for economics you require maths. lse want further maths so ideally take both if you can. outside of that economics would seem sensible. which other subject you choose is irrelevant. it is sometimes said you should take 2 facilitating subjects and maths/fm count for these so you are perfectly ok taking economics as your third a level. this maybe why your school suggest you don't take economics as it does not class as a facilitating subject. for further advice see the Russell group informed choices booklet.

Quick Reply