The Student Room Group

Do Oxbridge students take on part time jobs?

During term time?

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge this year and after looking at all the bursaries and loans etc, I think a part time job would help me stay on top of things.

Or is there too much workload and it'd get too stressful?

Thanks in advance :smile:
very rarely
the 8 week terms are misleading...loads of work in between!
in term - out of question

summers are the best, IB has some great internships
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
During term time?

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge this year and after looking at all the bursaries and loans etc, I think a part time job would help me stay on top of things.

Or is there too much workload and it'd get too stressful?

Thanks in advance :smile:

We're actually banned from getting one, though I don't know how they would find out. You can get a job in the college bar, but ours (Newnham) pays in drinks vouchers, but it's really flexible too.

Honestly, I wouldn't get one. The workload is majorly high, even more so if you're doing a science-related subject and so you just won't have the time.

There is the Cambridge bursary and the College Bursary schemes, which are fantastic. I received a £400 rent deduction for this term, and a £1000 bursary too for this year from college. They will never let you drop out because of financial difficulties.

If you want a bit of extra money, the vacations are a month long at Christmas and Easter, and then several months in summer, so you can earn then - that's what I've done over xmas, though I'm now majorly behind on my vacation work. :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by Paralove
We're actually banned from getting one, though I don't know how they would find out. You can get a job in the college bar, but ours (Newnham) pays in drinks vouchers, but it's really flexible too.

Honestly, I wouldn't get one. The workload is majorly high, even more so if you're doing a science-related subject and so you just won't have the time.

There is the Cambridge bursary and the College Bursary schemes, which are fantastic. I received a £400 rent deduction for this term, and a £1000 bursary too for this year from college. They will never let you drop out because of financial difficulties.

If you want a bit of extra money, the vacations are a month long at Christmas and Easter, and then several months in summer, so you can earn then - that's what I've done over xmas, though I'm now majorly behind on my vacation work. :colondollar:

Thank you :colondollar:

The last thing I want to do is be so stressed about finance that I give up on my studies :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you :colondollar:

The last thing I want to do is be so stressed about finance that I give up on my studies :frown:

No one has struggled to the point of giving things up, eating less etc to save money. Depending on the college you go to, you get different rents and kitchen fixed charges (of which Newnham has one of, if not the, highest in Cambridge), and as we have ovens in our kitchen, we can save a lot in not eating in the buttery often, of at all. Whereas if you go to say, Peterhouse, you have a very tiny kitchen with just a hob (I looked here on an open day).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me :smile:
Depends on your subject. For example history first years have to write 1 essay per week, and have a lot more time than say medicine.
Reply 6
Just get a decent job in the summer.
It is verboten during term-time, and I would recommend against it even during the Christmas/Easter vacations (though I know a few people who part-timed). I worked every summer during the long vacation, however, and not only did it help boost my finances but it also acted as a nice counterbalance to my academic life and improved my employability.
Reply 8
Original post by i.am.lost
It is verboten during term-time, and I would recommend against it even during the Christmas/Easter vacations (though I know a few people who part-timed). I worked every summer during the long vacation, however, and not only did it help boost my finances but it also acted as a nice counterbalance to my academic life and improved my employability.

... and it makes you realise how much easier life is going to be once you graduate :lol:
You can't get one during term time if you're an undergraduate.
Original post by Noble.
... and it makes you realise how much easier life is going to be once you graduate :lol:

Sshhh you'll scare the newbies off. :wink:
No it's beneath them.

Most of them come from rich families anyway so wouldn't need to unless it's a condition needed, such as interning for their engineering program.
Reply 12
Original post by grassntai
No it's beneath them.

Most of them come from rich families anyway so wouldn't need to unless it's a condition needed, such as interning for their engineering program.

[citation needed]
I've heard that you aren't allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it's beneath them.

Don't quite know where you pulled that one from. Sure, there are some who come from more privileged backgrounds, but it certainly isn't the norm for students to be rich, unless you have a specific definition of what determines a family being 'rich'.
No it's beneath them.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hmm. I don't you're in touch with reality!
No it's beneath them.

Not true of course, but there are schemes such as the Isaac Newton Bursaries at Cambridge which offer considerable means tested financial help - several thousand a year I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending