How does TSR affect your mind? Watch

upagumtree
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am interested to know whether people with mental health niggles or just bad self-esteem problems feel the effects of internet interactions more than others.

What I mean is, do you feel that being able to communicate with others over the internet on a forum such as this helps you seek company, advice and like-minded people, those "I'm not alone" feelings. OR do you sometimes feel that an internet forum makes you feel worse about yourself and the way things are for you, maybe due to comparisons and needlessly nasty comments from others?
I am asking becasue I realise that some people are more resilient than others and some people are more sensitive (maybe because of age or MH issues or a number of factors) and internet forums are a way for some people to be quite harsh and scathing without the fear of being spoken to face to face about it.
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't have any real mental health issues(at the moment), but I'm not very good socially and I feel it is easier to communicate on online forums.
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
social anxiety crew checking in

sleep deprived crew checking in

fairly odd extreme obsessive/intrusive thoughts and paranoia but playing it down to keep forum popularity crew checking in

if you knew my real age you would be disturbed by the way I act on TSR crew checking in

mods banned my former account by request for being harassed when I was legitimately open with my mental health and confidence issues crew checking in

Internet addiction's horrendous but thank God I'm not an alcoholic because I damn well could be crew checking in

ED Support bbz 2k11-13/Mental Health Support Society bbz 2k13-15 crew checking in

aware English BA graduate is misc irony aware crew checking in
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by upagumtree)
I am interested to know whether people with mental health niggles or just bad self-esteem problems feel the effects of internet interactions more than others.

What I mean is, do you feel that being able to communicate with others over the internet on a forum such as this helps you seek company, advice and like-minded people, those "I'm not alone" feelings. OR do you sometimes feel that an internet forum makes you feel worse about yourself and the way things are for you, maybe due to comparisons and needlessly nasty comments from others?
I am asking becasue I realise that some people are more resilient than others and some people are more sensitive (maybe because of age or MH issues or a number of factors) and internet forums are a way for some people to be quite harsh and scathing without the fear of being spoken to face to face about it.
Often I find it easier to say waht you truly want to say online

Im quite ...chatty irl as well, but sometimes, there's things REALLY bothering you, and sometimes, it's easier to put that in text form

So in that sense it's different...

Also, yknow how unis tell you that at uni you'll make "friends for life" but instead, a lot of people have became acquaintances (Though some ID see as "friends for life") I see some friends here as "friends for life" tbh.... (Compared to uni friends)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (115)
72.78%
No (43)
27.22%

Watched Threads