Turn on thread page Beta

Upgrading Between Windows OS Versions In Mac Bootcamp watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'm relatively new to using a Mac (I have recently bought a MacBook Pro Retina 15"); therefore I am not really sure exactly what Bootcamp is / isn't and what it can / can't do.

I want to put a version of Windows on my Mac using Bootcamp but didn't want the trouble of installing Windows 8.1 and then uninstalling it when Windows 10 comes out to put the new OS on to it.

An article I've read (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-...-users-1481756) claims that users of Windows 7 or 8 will be able to upgrade to the new Windows 10 directly from their current version; thus not having to re-format the drive and so on.

From your experience of having Mac and Windows run together, do you think this upgrade process would work in the same way or are there reasons / an overhead in Bootcamp that would make my current copy of Windows unable to upgrade without wiping and creating a new partition for the new version?

I'm just not sure whether once Windows 8.1 is installed on my Mac it is 100% like having a Windows PC, or whether I would still need to use Bootcamp to upgrade to the new Windows 10 due to Apple restrictions or something alike.

Thanks for any advice and apologies if this post seems quite naïve!

ReputationRep:
    Being a Mac user myself, I would say wait until Windows 10 comes out and ask then. We didn't even get official support for Windows 8 in Bootcamp until late 2013 so you need to be careful before simply dropping Windows 10 on it otherwise the install may simply just not work at all. This happened with some users trying to install Windows 8 back in the day. You would have to update to the latest edition of Bootcamp when that comes out next year which will support Windows 10 and you'll likely have to do a completely fresh install of Windows on that partition which would mean removing the partition, remaking it and going through the Bootcamp process again.

OR you could instead run Windows 10 in a VM on the Mac side and get rid of the separate partition on your drive

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.