Why are you an Atheist?

Watch
Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Simple question with a requirement for a detailed, thought-out and evidence-based answer.

Please tell me why...
Domk096
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
Simple question with a requirement for a detailed, thought-out and evidence-based answer.

Please tell me why...
I consider myself to be a very seeing is believing type person and I have not witnessed nor experienced a higher power and therefore consider the likelyhood of one existing to be low.

Secondly I am in mind and action quite science based and consider the scientific argument (big bang, evolution) to be entirely more plausible and believing and therefore believe this in favour of the existance of an omnipotent being.
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It seems to me that there is no convincing evidence for any religion. Therefore I shall assume they are all wrong. Obviously I can't 'prove' that there is no God- even if I debunked every religion on earth, if there is a God there would be an infinite number of possibilities of what he would be like. But I feel the burden of proof is on the theists- they are the ones making a positive claim. Google 'Russells teapot'.
Domk096
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by izpenguin)
It seems to me that there is no convincing evidence for any religion. Therefore I shall assume they are all wrong. Obviously I can't 'prove' that there is no God- even if I debunked every religion on earth, if there is a God there would be an infinite number of possibilities of what he would be like. But I feel the burden of proof is on the theists- they are the ones making a positive claim. Google 'Russells teapot'.
First time I have read this analogy and I completely agree with its sentiment. Too often skeptics are asked to disprove the existance.
Chucklevisionary
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry I haven't much time so this won't be very detailed. I am an atheist as I find no reason to believe in a 'God', the idea and principle of 'faith' is one that I am at odds with. Organised religion seems to me to be very manipulative (parents forcing children to go to church and pray etc.) and makes quite a lot of money, it's a very lucrative business. I stopped believing in God when I stopped believing in Santa and to me they're very similar in their lack of evidence for existence. Instead of believing in a 'God', one who's morals I do not agree with and wouldn't want to associate with I try to believe in myself and wish more people would do the same
Are you religious OP?
daryZ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am an atheist because in my opinion there are more important things to do in life. I will rather try to make a successful life by my own hands than waste my time believing that religions will help me to achieve it.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because I don't believe in God.

I don't think I need to explain it any further really.
BefuddledPenguin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everything that used to be attributed to god or gods has now been explained with science, the god hypothesis is redundant.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The reason that I am an Atheist is that the claim 'God exists' is totally unfalsifiable.

I'll use an old and popular analogy:

Imagine two men standing outside a fenced garden. Man A says to man B, 'I wonder if there is a gardener?'. Man B responds 'Of course there is, look at those well-kempt flower beds and that beautifully pruned rose bush over there'. This isn't sufficient for Man A, who questions 'why there are weeds strewn about here and there? Why has that tree been allowed to lean so dangerously if there really is a gardener?'

The two are very interested in their dispute, and as such, wait for the whole day to see if a gardener will ever arrive. No gardener does, however. Man A says, 'I suppose there is no gardener then?', but Man B is unsatisfied, suggesting that 'Perhaps the gardener comes at night'.

As such, the two wait for the next night, but nothing ever happens. Man B, anticipating Man A's arrogant and rash assumption, stops him from speech saying 'It is clear, I accept, that the gardener does not arrive as I envisaged. There is no need, however, to draw any hasty conclusions. It seems quite obvious to me that the gardener doesn't just come at night - he conceals himself somehow'.

At this point, Man A has become very invested in the whole problem, and as such decides to buy a sniffer dog to confirm the hypothesis. However, another night comes and goes, and the sniffer dog finds nothing. As one might expect though, this does not satisfy Man B. He questions 'how we can expect the gardener to be so stupid as to not disguise his odour also!'.

Man A, tired and frustrated, but nonetheless valiantly committed to the investigation of the truth, sells his house to buy a top-of-the range electric fence 100 feet high, which he erects around the garden.

The two wait and, after another week goes by, and neither in night nor in the day is the fence triggered, Man A tires with Man B's bull****. 'Look' he says, 'isn't it patently obvious that he gardener doesn't exist? How many times need I disprove your claims before you accept that this is wrong?'

But Man B, quite predictably of course, merely shakes his head in disappointment at Man A's ignorance. Of course, he says, 'the gardener is intangible too!'.
Does this go any way towards answering your question?
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because I don't agree with the concept of hell. I don't believe in free will but according to religion I have it and I'm going to hell for using it in the wrong way. We don't choose to become the people we become and we don't choose to do most of the things we do. In life we deal with psychological, biological, sociological and even political influences, yet religion ignores all of this and accuses us of being in control of it all.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cause I actually evaluate things in light of evidence, rather than accepting things without proof or rationale. I'm also perfectly at peace with my limited and human bound existence - no need to fabricate some imaginary amazingforeverandever world.
^^
Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Good ideas so far.
mrocd2014
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)

Please tell me why...
Because of this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3058635
unfathomablee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me it's a slight paradox, I guess I have some sort of faith deep down but on the surface I debunk and question everything. If I was to take the science route and agree with the Big Bang then I'll have to say who created that environment for it to occur, things don't appear out of thin air and then again how did God come about? It might sound weird but the fact is I find it difficult to comprehend that God just came about and is omnipresent and omniscient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not even to do with the fact that there are many contradictions and many passages to suggest that God is a narcissistic psychopath that enjoys the sight of human suffering.

How do religious people know with 100% certainty that their religion is the right one and they are guaranteed heaven?
Hanz_a93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Funny how i have 'athiest' friends who will pray to god the night before an exam or results day :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
anngeli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hanz_a93)
Funny how i have 'athiest' friends who will pray to god the night before an exam or results day :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're being serious when you say they pray then they aren't Atheists. However, to "pray" can be said in a non-literal sense to show that you are hoping for something. It doesn't mean that they are actually praying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Walt_14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it's used to control the masses and I see no reason to believe in mystical forces. And there are so darn many religions that how do you know if yours is the correct one?
SarcasticMel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because I wasn't brainwashed as a kid to believe in a fairy tale...
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A) I'm in control of my own life; not some bearded bloke in the sky pulling all the strings.
B) I wouldn't put any trust in a book that proclaims to have the answers to the universe, yet nobody has an author for it except that it magically appeared and was again, written by some bearded bloke who lives in the sky.
C) I have no understanding of how anybody could take religion to be serious. It's a ridiculous concept that's done little but harm our society for centuries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (190)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (120)
9.81%
Isolating with family (85)
6.95%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.84%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (106)
8.67%
Loneliness (118)
9.65%
Financial worries (52)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
8.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.28%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (107)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise