Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Incidently a nice piece of viral marketing by Dove.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it.

I hate the "supermodel backlash" that tells people that they are beautiful and perfect inside and out.

It's *******s. Most people aren't perfect on the outside, and certainly no-one is perfect on the inside.

It's delusional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipmapped)
    I hate it.

I hate the "supermodel backlash" that tells people that they are beautiful and perfect inside and out.

It's *******s. Most people aren't perfect on the outside, and certainly no-one is perfect on the inside.

It's delusional.
    I agree with you, its nauseating tbh! If we didnt have this standard of beauty it'd be another one that everyone couldnt reach. Make the best of what you have and be happy if you're nt up to scratch tough luck. Photo's do get a lot of retouching and celebrities do have professional make up artists. Having said that part of the reason why most are where they are is because they're naturally beautiful, sorry to dissapoint but they probably don't wake up looking like godzilla.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipmapped)
    Where does it say that? Saying that our perception of beauty is distorted doesn't mean that everyone is beautiful and perfect. Personally I support making people more aware of the editing that goes into a lot of these images because many people do compare themselves to the edited pictures. Many teenagers don't even realise that the pictures they see and strive to look like are really heavily edited.

Although, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everyone will be beautiful to someone out there.

ReputationRep:
    I found it so supprising the amount of detail that was put into the editing of that picture, how even things that I (like to think) wouldn't notice mattered like the size of her eyes (why did they make them bigger?) and the length of her neck (seriously who cares about the shape of someone's neck?) But yeah it's like those pictures you see of celebrities caught unawares without any makeup- my god! Kind of makes me feel good in a way that most ordianry people you'd see on the street look better that them though. But still it's perverse that we're meant to aspire to a level of beauty that's impossible unless you can photoshop your (non photographed) self.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.