Advice on going into accounting Watch

jenniv93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Looking for a bit of advice in how to get into accounting. I am currently in my last year of studying Business management at uni. I chose the course because I've always been interested in business but not been sure what area i want to go into. I've recently become more interested in accounting which my course has only briefly touched upon.

i am helping out my boyfriends dad with his accounts for a bit of experience as he has his own business and i am now looking for advise on the best way to become an accountant. I have seen lots on getting an AAT 2 and 3 diploma but have also seen a lot of other things and was wondering if this is the best way after finishing my degree.

I'm also looking to do this through home learning as got bills to pay so need to work along side so i am also looking for recommendations of the best home learning courses and providers- and if they offer student finance in the same way as universities.

Thanks for all of your help
Weirdfishes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Jenniv93, I'm studying AAT level 4 at college.
If you go to Kaplan.co.uk, they offer the AAT and other accounting qualifications. If you select AAT and then distance learning, which is home learning, or contact them directly they should help you.
Also, have a look at graduate schemes at PWC, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst Young, Macintyre Hudson and Grant Thornton. They give you a full time job and study leave. I don't know if you study AAT first or go straight to professional qualification but either way, it's the best possible start for a career in accountancy
According to Pete
  • TSR Group Staff
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jenniv93)
Looking for a bit of advice in how to get into accounting. I am currently in my last year of studying Business management at uni. I chose the course because I've always been interested in business but not been sure what area i want to go into. I've recently become more interested in accounting which my course has only briefly touched upon.

i am helping out my boyfriends dad with his accounts for a bit of experience as he has his own business and i am now looking for advise on the best way to become an accountant. I have seen lots on getting an AAT 2 and 3 diploma but have also seen a lot of other things and was wondering if this is the best way after finishing my degree.

I'm also looking to do this through home learning as got bills to pay so need to work along side so i am also looking for recommendations of the best home learning courses and providers- and if they offer student finance in the same way as universities.

Thanks for all of your help
Hey

You can study AAT or move on to CIMA or ACCA whilst working as an employee in many companies.

You can take a role either within an accounting practice or within a commercial organisation and get a training contract where the companies funds or partially supports accountancy qualifications.

This means you can earn a living and start to build your career. You may find you can jump straight in to ACCA or CIMA with your uni course and you may also have exemptions based on the modules you studied.

Its great if you can get on a big 4 training contract but there are many alternatives if not.

I qualified working for an online recruitment business and was able to learn so much about business and the wider commercial elements of a company alongside becoming a qualified accountant.

Best of luck and if I can help further just shout
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (627)
80.59%
Leave (151)
19.41%

Watched Threads