Turn on thread page Beta

When a person experiences loss of a family member, friend, or pet they are naturally sad about it and will grieve, until they are able to cope with bereavement.

My question is that at what is boundary between normal "healthy" grieving and genuine depression (I am referring to clinical depression)?

ReputationRep:
    The 'official' guidance is this for the difference between grief and depression.

That sort of sums up my experiences definitely. With grief, I think there are good times and bad times. It's awful and it's unbearably painful and you feel like your heart is breaking, but there are moments in between where you can be happy or have good times with friends/family.

With depression in my experience there's far more of the self-critical thoughts - worthlessness, self-hatred, wanting to hurt yourself or thinking things would be better off without you. It does overlap because obviously there's the apathy and overwhelming sadness with both, but I think with depression there tend to be more of the negative thoughts and feeling of hopelessness.

(Original post by Liv1204)
    The 'official' guidance is this for the difference between grief and depression.

That sort of sums up my experiences definitely. With grief, I think there are good times and bad times. It's awful and it's unbearably painful and you feel like your heart is breaking, but there are moments in between where you can be happy or have good times with friends/family.

With depression in my experience there's far more of the self-critical thoughts - worthlessness, self-hatred, wanting to hurt yourself or thinking things would be better off without you. It does overlap because obviously there's the apathy and overwhelming sadness with both, but I think with depression there tend to be more of the negative thoughts and feeling of hopelessness.
    Thanks for the reply. I've recently experienced bereavement, and while the raw grief is starting to wear away, sometimes I feel distant from everything around me.

I sort of feel trapped in my life, because this year is so important to me, so I need to work and can't afford to stop working now, but I'm concerned that I have the potential to slip into depression.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.