Minimum rest between shifts in retail Watch

phil2
Badges: 5
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I work in a shop and just wondered what the minimum rest is, on one day im in 12.30-9.30 then the day after 7-1.30
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you work over 6 hours a day, you are entitled to 20 mins.

Posted from TSR Mobile
phil2
Oh yeah i know that but this one im wondering is minimum rest between shifts?
EleanorFrost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phil2)
I think it's 11 hours, but don't quote me on that.
UPSDGoat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought it was 8 hours but according to this it's 11
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview

Posted from TSR Mobile
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phil2)
Eleven hours then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
phil2
So if im working till 9.30 one evening then im in at 7 the day after, not 11 hours, thats illegal? Always do it at work, most work till 8.30 and are in at 6!
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phil2)
So if im working till 9.30 one evening then im in at 7 the day after, not 11 hours, thats illegal? Always do it at work, most work till 8.30 and are in at 6!
Depends. If you are volunteering/agreeing to do it, then it isn't as clear cut as it being "illegal". If everyone's shift patterns suggest that no one has 11 or more hours break between shifts, then I suspect they have made you all sign a waiver.

Did you sign anything that would opt you out of the Working Time Regulations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
phil2
not that i can remember, i may menchen it just to see in a nice way, dont volunteer
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phil2)
not that i can remember, i may menchen it just to see in a nice way, dont volunteer
I would check your employment contract and any other documents you signed when you agreed to take on the job. Do you really have an issue with it being less than 11 hours between shifts?
lyrical_lie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phil2)
I work in a shop and just wondered what the minimum rest is, on one day im in 12.30-9.30 then the day after 7-1.30
Yea I was looking into this for my boyfriend as often he works til 10pm then starts at 7am the next day at Morrisons but he's too worried he won't get shifts if he doesn't just work it.
phil2
yes i am bothered its tiring all days long 5 days in a row mixture of early and lates some extra hours in bed would help
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phil2)
yes i am bothered its tiring all days long 5 days in a row mixture of early and lates some extra hours in bed would help
Ask for a different shift pattern then.

I suspect this will lead to you having less hours though and therefore less income (I assume you are being paid hourly).

I reckon you have signed something that opts you out of the working time regulations - lots of employers will ask you to do this.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you CANNOT opt out of the daily rest requirements

even if you have signed a EWTD ' opt -out' all that covers is the 48 hours average working week .
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zippyRN)
you CANNOT opt out of the daily rest requirements

even if you have signed a EWTD ' opt -out' all that covers is the 48 hours average working week .
Apologies - I didnt know that, I thought it was one and the same.

Strange how a major retailer is allowed to have shift patterns where everyone is not getting their 11 hours then.
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Apologies - I didnt know that, I thought it was one and the same.

Strange how a major retailer is allowed to have shift patterns where everyone is not getting their 11 hours then.
lack of effective Union presence combined with a lack of roles where fatigue is a safety issue ( as the transport side is often contracted out and comes under driver's hours anyway e.g. all the Knowhow Artics and a l the M+S dry goods trucks are DHL supply chains ( M+S food trucks are GIST)
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lack of effective Union presence combined with a lack of roles where fatigue is a safety issue ( as the transport side is often contracted out and comes under driver's hours anyway e.g. all the Knowhow Artics and a l the M+S dry goods trucks are DHL supply chains ( M+S food trucks are GIST)
If it's a legal requirement without a loophole though, I'm still surprised. A lot of industries are not Unionised but are still subject to employment laws and regulations. The employers must think the risk of being taken to a tribunal is very low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
If it's a legal requirement without a loophole though, I'm still surprised. A lot of industries are not Unionised but are still subject to employment laws and regulations. The employers must think the risk of being taken to a tribunal is very low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's one of these elephant in the room topics, combined with the casualisation of labour in the 'normal shop assistant' type roles...
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it's one of these elephant in the room topics, combined with the casualisation of labour in the 'normal shop assistant' type roles...
I think it's across professions/sectors though not just retail. I think most people I know have regularly worked in a way that would not meet the requirements (myself included!).

In my opinion is 11 hours is a bit excessive though. It could easily be lower and still protect workers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phil2)
If you are under 18 then its 12 hours.
If you are over 18 then its 11 hours.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads