Turn on thread page Beta

New girl at work watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've lurked for years on this site but my crippling loneliness finally made me create an account so I could post this (despite how much I'm cringing writing this.)

My situation is that at the company I work for, there is a cute new girl who is working in the office who I would like to get to know. However I work away 99 percent of the time and the few times that I am in the office I am only there for about 10 minutes max normally just dropping stuff off.

Usually when I'm there I'll stop to speak to a couple people to see how they're getting on. One of these people is in the same segment of the office that she is in, although she's always been facing her computer when I've been there.

I think I'm going to be in the office this Friday.
    So what I'm asking is, should I just man up and attempt to speak to her? Anything I should try and say in particular? Where to go with it after? I was thinking that if we get a good conversation going, maybe adding her on Facebook and speaking to her more on that due to me barely getting the chance any other time.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit, I think I'm just needing a bit of encouragement or advice or just something.

ReputationRep:
    You could always start a conversation about how she's new? I'm not too good at this sort of thing, but your "crippling loneliness" made me think of myself when I made an account so i thought I should lend a hand haha! Go for it, talking to new people isn't as hard as you think before you do it... Be yourself and hope she's similar to you I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Faced with a very similar problem and probably a similar level of confidence with direct conversation, I just introduced myself and said something like "I swear people are just bleeping me for fun now" [work-related banter].
    Basically look, when you "approach" a girl like that she obviously knows you like her so the ball is in her park. If she instantly makes you feel comfortable and engages in the conversation, like this girl did, then you know you can take it further.
    I then offered a lift home because she doesn't have a car. Now we eat lunch every day!

ReputationRep:
    Guess you guys are right, I probably need to grow some balls and just go for it. However she does seem even more shy than myself which could prove to be quite awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Cute new girls in offices that one does not frequent and aren't really a part of are probably not the best people for people facing 'crippling lonliness' to start engaging their raw, core masculine urges and related social skills and endeavours :holmes:

Okay the crippling loneliness was maybe just me getting a little emotional after a few late night drinks.
    I've not really had a problem approaching girls in bars and the such like but I think the main struggle for me is being in a work environment and wanting to be more than just a colleague

ReputationRep:
    hey mate - nice to see you at least have a positive attitude to it, even if i did cringe a bit too! don't bother with the facebook ****, just ask her out for coffee or whatever there is to do where you live

ReputationRep:
    Just think that when you are 80 you will regret nothing except what you did not do (in this context).

The worst that can happen is awkwardness, and that's not so bad. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    she's new so you have an instant conversation starter - just ask how she's settling in, she's not going to be put off because you're not there often, you're part of the team and it's normal to show interest in her - people I rarely see and have little contact with ask me how I'm settling into my job all the time

once you've started there you can ask things like what she did beforehand and generally be friendly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    In that case you should just go introduce yourself, make small talk, and get her facebook (take care to pick your moment and ideally have done this with other colleagues first - both in terms of practice and not looking so blatant when she looks at your friend list etc) - then you can do your homework and gauge interest from a safe and respectable distance that shouldn't make life at all awkward for anyone really
    Why not just guage initial reaction then ask for her phone number? Avoid all the social media nonsensory.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I agree with the probability of me crashing and burning going straight for the pickup,

So it seems like the general consensus is, that when I'm there to have a fairly innocent chat and then the next day (so not to rush) I'll add her on Facebook (I do have a few from work already so it shouldn't seem too out of place)

Although I'm not too sure from there, I've only asked girls out on a date in person or on tinder where both of your intentions are clear. Would the best option be to just speak for quite a while and if the chat is still going strong then ask to go out for a coffee? Or something like that?

Also, I wouldn't mind hearing from more people who've had a similar situation and how it went. Especially from a girls perspective.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2015
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.