Turn on thread page Beta

Was I wrong to get angry at my girlfriend? watch

ReputationRep:
    Me an my girlfriend Skype everyday an pretty much all day, sometimes I don't mind but sometimes I can be frustrated as I can never go to the bathroom or get food without asking and even then it's "until I need to go" or after so many episodes has finished. It's things like this which frustrate me as I like to be in control of my own body, but as I was saying.

Today I left something downstairs so I said I'm just going to get it, when I returned she was mad at me and said I didn't tell her so we had an argument, she started crying and getting mad cause I refused to say sorry as I feel like I did nothing wrong but she's saying I've broke her heart and risking our relationship which seems overreacting.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your girlfriend sounds **** crazy :eek:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a bit of a nutjob, tbh...

Why do you skype so much? Are you in an LDR?

I think you should try to explain to her that you do not need her permission to leave the view of your webcam for a few mins, though it doesn't sound like it'll be easy to reason with her. Is she controlling in other ways too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She sounds super clingy.
    Run, man.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have an overly attached girlfriend.

http://boredombash.com/wp-content/up...iend-GIF-1.gif

ReputationRep:
    What the hell...

Run.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That broke her heart? What?! she's definitely overreacting! Without sounding harsh, she's being very immature and should be able to cope with you leaving for a few minutes. There is no way you're in the wrong here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your girlfriend sounds like a lunatic. Don't give in to her childish whims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucarious30)
    Me an my girlfriend Skype everyday an pretty much all day, sometimes I don't mind but sometimes I can be frustrated as I can never go to the bathroom or get food without asking and even then it's "until I need to go" or after so many episodes has finished. It's things like this which frustrate me as I like to be in control of my own body, but as I was saying.

Today I left something downstairs so I said I'm just going to get it, when I returned she was mad at me and said I didn't tell her so we had an argument, she started crying and getting mad cause I refused to say sorry as I feel like I did nothing wrong but she's saying I've broke her heart and risking our relationship which seems overreacting.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dude, she sounds crazy. This should be sending alarm bells ringing in your head.

How far away do you live from eachother, and how often do you see eachother?

Even in an LDR, having time to do your own things etc is important. Spending every waking moment on Skype will make you feel suffocated.

Either talk to her about it and see if she changes (the cynic in me doubts she will, but it's up to you if you want to give it a go) or just cut your losses and gtfo now.

ReputationRep:
    go no contact

ReputationRep:
    Bro you require your girl's permission to pee, you need to revise that immediately.

ReputationRep:
    We live quite close and see each other 4 times a week so not really a LDR, but she can be super childish and immature. Honestly I probably would of ran by now if it wasn't that she was my first so it's all the "I gotta make it work" feels.

Admittedly I can be clingy and jealous too but never restrict someone on if they need to go out or use the bathroom..
    I just don't know how to deal with this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ha, get out of there man. Seriously. I know it sucks because it's your first relationship, but this is going to leave you emotionally drained and mentally exhausted if you try and stick it out. That's not how a relationship is supposed to feel.

You can't make someone change their personality or grow up, they need to do that for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Well have any of you guys/gals ever had a clingy ex? Cause I'm not sure if this is just normal clingy or if I just found myself Queen Clingy herself. 😰

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We live quite close and see each other 4 times a week so not really a LDR, but she can be super childish and immature. Honestly I probably would of ran by now if it wasn't that she was my first so it's all the "I gotta make it work" feels.

Admittedly I can be clingy and jealous too but never restrict someone on if they need to go out or use the bathroom..
    I just don't know how to deal with this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One word. RUN! :run:

ReputationRep:
    Run.

Spoiler:
    Show
    To her house and have a serious chat about how this isn't healthy and you don't like it - don't put up with it man; sounds ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't believe this is real. That's how clingy this girl sounds.

I can't believe you're seeing each other that regularly, and still Skype all day?! How do you get anything done? Do you ever get to miss each other?

You need to talk to her and let her know that this is a problem... and revise how much time you're spending talking to each other. It's great to be enthusiastic about a relationship but you need time apart. To say that this is unhealthy would be an understatement. :/

ReputationRep:
    Dude... You sound terribly whipped.

If you can't go to the toilet without asking then... Ahh whatever man, you're a lost cause... There's no returning for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlaraptor)
    revise how much time you're spending talking to each other. It's great to be enthusiastic about a relationship but you need time apart. To say that this is unhealthy would be an understatement. :/
    Thanks for the advice guys, really taking it in

Also back to the quote above, why is it bad to spend so much time together?

I'm not complaining cause sometimes I do feel smothered but is it really that important to miss each other? Surely if you lived with someone you'd be spending all your time with them?

May be stupid questions but I'm just interested about how these things work!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys, really taking it in

Also back to the quote above, why is it bad to spend so much time together?

I'm not complaining cause sometimes I do feel smothered but is it really that important to miss each other? Surely if you lived with someone you'd be spending all your time with them?

May be stupid questions but I'm just interested about how these things work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How long have you been together, out of interest?

I think it is important to miss each other, because it keeps the excitement in the relationship. When you miss someone, you appreciate them all the more when you do get to see them.

Most people don't choose to live together until they've been together for a significant amount of time - living together/spending that amount of time together really changes the dynamic of a relationship. It can make or break a relationship. When I was dating my ex for a year, we were really, really in love. We missed each other terribly between seeing each other (even though we saw each other at least a few days a week) and we were really serious about each other. We moved in together, and for a while it was brilliant - we got to see each other all the time. But that brought issues to the fore that we hadn't really noticed as much before, and if they're not dealt with properly, they fester and get worse.

When you spend that amount of time with each other and have made a commitment like that... you need to be open, honest and respectful to each other.

From what you've said, your girlfriend isn't being particularly respectful to you. It doesn't sound like you spend all this time together because you can't bear to be apart - it sounds like it's either out of habit, or because she basically pressures you into it (though I apologise if that's not the case/I'm assuming too much).

I'm not saying you should break up with her or anything, but maybe try and cool down the amount of communication a little and see how it goes. Try and get a conversation going and see what her feelings are - I suspect she might be a bit insecure, and needs some reassurance... but she needs to realise she can't control you/constantly communicate whenever she wants.

I see my boyfriend a few times a week, but appreciate the time we're apart a) because we're both busy/have things to do and b) I get to miss him!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh im like this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2015
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.