Turn on thread page Beta

Cutting and metabolism slowing down watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my cutting phase at the moment and I notice that if I eat right (or at the right time), my metabolism is still as strong (or stable) as ever. But, if I eat wrong (or at the wrong time), I can see a decline in my metabolism.

I normally eat some chicken meat and some fruits early in the morning. I usually have two pieces of chicken meat (probably around 300g each (including bones) - I probably got the weight wrong but it's an approximation nonetheless). If I don't have chicken, I'll boil some eggs (around 2-3 eggs) or just bake some fish.

For lunch, I'd have the same meal but with a piece of chicken meat and some fruits as well. Some greens are included as well (e.g. tomatoes, lettuces, etc.)

I normally do my workout around 5PM and I notice that if I eat my lunch around 3-4PM, I could do my workout longer, but if I eat it around 2PM, I could still do my workout but I feel that I have less energy doing it.

I do eat my carbs but not as much as I used to; probably most of my diet now is high in protein really.

Should I maintain this routine to maintain my cutting period but still have a good metabolism? If I shouldn't, how should I cut but at the same time maintain my metabolism?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    This is bro-science, one does not enter the metabolism-killing 'starvation mode' from a cutting diet unless by 'cutting' you mean anorexia nervosa or some really ****ty keto diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I'm in my cutting phase at the moment and I notice that if I eat right (or at the right time), my metabolism is still as strong (or stable) as ever. But, if I eat wrong (or at the wrong time), I can see a decline in my metabolism.

I normally eat some chicken meat and some fruits early in the morning. I usually have two pieces of chicken meat (probably around 300g each (including bones) - I probably got the weight wrong but it's an approximation nonetheless). If I don't have chicken, I'll boil some eggs (around 2-3 eggs) or just bake some fish.

For lunch, I'd have the same meal but with a piece of chicken meat and some fruits as well. Some greens are included as well (e.g. tomatoes, lettuces, etc.)

I normally do my workout around 5PM and I notice that if I eat my lunch around 3-4PM, I could do my workout longer, but if I eat it around 2PM, I could still do my workout but I feel that I have less energy doing it.

I do eat my carbs but not as much as I used to; probably most of my diet now is high in protein really.

Should I maintain this routine to maintain my cutting period but still have a good metabolism? If I shouldn't, how should I cut but at the same time maintain my metabolism?

Thanks.
    True "starvation mode" normally takes a long time to develop - literally weeks of drastic calorie restriction. I very much doubt you are there yet.

What you're describing (ie; low on energy if you haven't eaten within 2-4 hours of a workout) is because you're trying to work out in a carb depleted state (ie; poor meal timing and a low carb diet).

Either move your lunch/workout or have a high carb snack/supplement 30-60 minutes prior to exercise (eg; a couple of pieces of fruit, a scoop of maltodextrin with some whey, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    True "starvation mode" normally takes a long time to develop - literally weeks of drastic calorie restriction. I very much doubt you are there yet.

What you're describing (ie; low on energy if you haven't eaten within 2-4 hours of a workout) is because you're trying to work out in a carb depleted state (ie; poor meal timing and a low carb diet).

Either move your lunch/workout or have a high carb snack/supplement 30-60 minutes prior to exercise (eg; a couple of pieces of fruit, a scoop of maltodextrin with some whey, etc).
    I don't think I'm either. I'm just cutting down my carbs and eating more protein.

I think you're right; I've noticed several times and in particular on one occasion where I ate a few carb-based dishes an hour before my workout and once I started my workout, I could do it without struggle.

I've a simple query; in terms of maintain energy level, is there a difference of consumption between a 300 cals of protein and 300 cals of carbs before doing an exercise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I've a simple query; in terms of maintain energy level, is there a difference of consumption between a 300 cals of protein and 300 cals of carbs before doing an exercise?
    Yes.

Generally simple carbohydrates are far more rapidly digested, absorbed and metabolised for energy than protein.

Some people recommend protein supplements (eg; whey protein, BCAAs) before a workout however it's aim is to promote protein synthesis rather than fuel their workouts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.