International vs UK rankings Watch

milkberries
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay so I know that rankings are not important, but I'm just wondering as to why the international and UK rankings differ so greatly?
For instance, Warwick is seen as more 'prestigious' than Manchester in the UK, but Manchester ranks higher internationally.
Also, since I'm an international applicant, I want to know how my uni choices are regarded both internationally and in the UK (for the sake of curiosity):
KCL, Bath, Warwick, Manchester, Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by milkberries)
Okay so I know that rankings are not important, but I'm just wondering as to why the international and UK rankings differ so greatly?
For instance, Warwick is seen as more 'prestigious' than Manchester in the UK, but Manchester ranks higher internationally.
Also, since I'm an international applicant, I want to know how my uni choices are regarded both internationally and in the UK (for the sake of curiosity):

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are no "official" rankings.......they all use their methods to determine the ranks.

If you plan on staying in the UK they will be known, etc.
Ultimately it depends on your country, for example in the US the average person has never heard of Manchester, etc pretty much Oxford and Cambridge is known over there.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
There are no "official" rankings.......they all use their methods to determine the ranks.

If you plan on staying in the UK they will be known, etc.
Ultimately it depends on your country, for example in the US the average person has never heard of Manchester, etc pretty much Oxford and Cambridge is known over there.
Manchester will still probably be considered more prestigious because most people have heard of the city Manchester if only because of football, and people always presume a big city university to be better than a uni they haven't heard of.
kumon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Warwick> Kcl> manchester = nottingham > bath
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Okorange)
Manchester will still probably be considered more prestigious because most people have heard of the city Manchester if only because of football, and people always presume a big city university to be better than a uni they haven't heard of.
I'm being honest.....Oxford and Cambridge is very much known worldwide. Others not so much, the average person doesn't know in places like the US. Again depends on the country, I know a lot of international students prefer UoL on their degree instead of the college.
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
I'm being honest.....Oxford and Cambridge is very much known worldwide. Others not so much, the average person doesn't know in places like the US. Again depends on the country, I know a lot of international students prefer UoL on their degree instead of the college.
I wasn't arguing that, my point was that if its between a unknown uni and a uni named after a city they've heard of usually the city wins.
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
The UK rankings gives you a league table that is bias towards how likely you might enjoy your time at a given university based on experience, spending & teaching and the average entry grades.

The international rankings gives you a league table that is bias towards the research power, size, alumni performance and international reputation of universities.
milkberries
Rep:
?
(Original post by LutherVan)
The UK rankings gives you a league table that is bias towards how likely you might enjoy your time at a given university based on experience, spending & teaching and the average entry grades.

The international rankings gives you a league table that is bias towards the research power, size, alumni performance and international reputation of universities.
So would it be safe to assume that international rankings are more reliable than UK rankings in terms of academic prestige?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So would it be safe to assume that international rankings are more reliable than UK rankings in terms of academic prestige?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That totally depends on what you are looking for and want measured.

If you want to be happy and cuddled while studying, it might be best to go for the UK rankings.

If you want to be employable and prestigious after graduating, it might be best to go for the international rankings.
milkberries
Rep:
?
(Original post by LutherVan)
That totally depends on what you are looking for and want measured.

If you want to be happy and cuddled while studying, it might be best to go for the UK rankings.

If you want to be employable and prestigious after graduating, it might be best to go for the international rankings.
Haha 'happy and cuddled'
In that case, I think the international rankings suit me better as I'm more concerned with the uni's global reputation
Thank you so much for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Here's why:

International rankings largely measure graduate/postgraduate education (research output, Nobel awards, published journals, and such.) while local rankings measure undergraduate education (college experience, employment prospects, teaching quality, student selectivity and such).
SiminaM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a non-UK student: What is Warwick? I've heard of it very briefly... same with Durham - I've only seen it on TSR have no idea about it, Bath, Bristol, Westminster, Worcester. Greenwich seems really bad - I may have a biased opinion.
Prestigious/Good unis I've heard of: Oxbridge obviously, Imperial, LSE, UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, Manchester(I'm a bit confused as to why it is seen so bad in the UK), St. Andrews, QMUL.
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SiminaM)
As a non-UK student: What is Warwick?
It is a highly respected, solid top 10 university located in the midland. It may not be a well-known name in some countries, but for those who care, it is considered a prestigious university. It also is one of the most selective in terms of entry. The university is a top target for recruitment in the banking, financial, business and consulting world. The top employers regularly recruit Warwick grads, and in most cases, favor them to all university grads in the whole UK, save for Oxbridge, and 3 other peer institutions, namely: LSE, Imperial and UCL.

Some of the university names you've mentioned are not prestigious. They may be are more familiar to you because they are bigger (and would have more people talking about them), or you know someone who went there, but they aren't more respected than Warwick.

Warwick is great for almost all of the programs it offers, but it is particularly strong in the ff areas: maths, economics, business, statistics, politics, philosophy, English, computer science, physics, chemistry, American studies and law.
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a non-UK student: What is Warwick? I've heard of it very briefly... same with Durham - I've only seen it on TSR have no idea about it, Bath, Bristol, Westminster, Worcester. Greenwich seems really bad - I may have a biased opinion.
Prestigious/Good unis I've heard of: Oxbridge obviously, Imperial, LSE, UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, Manchester(I'm a bit confused as to why it is seen so bad in the UK), St. Andrews, QMUL.
Warwick Uni = Coventry.

Coventry is a dire place. Interestingly, it was where a lot of RAF stuff was based during WW2. This meant that the Nazis bombed Coventry into the ground, leaving the ****ty place that remains to this today.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Me too - I think it's some weird TSR snob echo chamber effect.

FWIW the most targetted unis by 'top graduate recruiters' are apparently

Nottingham
Manchester
Cambridge
Oxford
Bristol
Bath
Warwick
Leeds
Imperial
UCL
Birmingham
Durham
Sheffield

(in order)
http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf p31.

Presumably LSE is hit on pretty hard by the banks/finance firms but not so much by employers in other sectors - it's 16th
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Love it how people rank universities they have never been been to, using highly ambiguous words like "prestige/prestigious" that they never defined. :rolleyes:
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Love it how people rank universities they have never been been to, using highly ambiguous words like "prestige/prestigious" that they never defined. :rolleyes:
Love how there is always that one good goody two shoes who says something super p/c.

The reality is there will always be rankings and considering how most people doing these rankings probably attended somewhere betwee 1 and 4 unis in their lifetimes, they most certainly will be ranking universities they have never been to.

If for example people were to rank their own unis, all we would have is a bunch of unis ranked tied 1st for everything...

The word prestige is obviously defined differently by different people, but there is a general positive connotation to the word.
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bath and Bristol are top universities.

Even more prestigious than QMUL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%