Turn on thread page Beta

Shameless fearmongering? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is sort of a continuation of my recent thread about Muslim integration. We've all read about how extremist Islam is growing in the UK, as well as in Europe in general. Every day, it seems, Muslims are more and more alienated from the rest of society. Just today, I read an announcement from John Reid stating that Muslims are 'being lost' to extremism.

Now, do you think this is just fearmongering a la Joseph McCarthy in the 1950's in the States (who basically said 'your neighbors are communists')? I mean, aren't those who call it fearmongering denying something, just sort of sticking their heads in the sand and saying it doesn't exist? Wouldn't the government have a better idea of these things than the common man?

Another thing, I just want to reask my question from the earlier thread. Do you think this whole integration issue will ever be resolved, and if so, when? Months? Years? And do you think it's a good thing that the issue has at least been brought into the public square to be dealt with? Or is it just something that needs to be ignored?

I'm really having this inner debate, despite all the kind support from the posters here, about whether or not to move to the UK in the future. I'm thinking about moving there in, oh, call it five years. I mean, do you think the situation will be any better by then?

Thanks for your time in replying. I know it must get a bit tedious seeing the same posts from one guy over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not as big as a deal as you may think it is. Most people here get on with lives like normal even though it's all in the news everyday. It's not like Nazi Germany here ... yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelprep)
    It's really not as big as a deal as you may think it is. Most people here get on with lives like normal even though it's all in the news everyday. It's not like Nazi Germany here ... yet :p:
    Yeah, not yet
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    from my own experience i would say that some of the blame should be put on those people of different faiths... this is why...

In the towns where i lived i never came across any hate towards those of other faiths and everyone seemed to get on well together.

The only thing was that when it came to living there would be estates that would be say 90% muslim/sikh etc

and many others that would only have the odd 1 or 2 muslim families, which in itself doesn't help as it gives the impression that those of other cultures are not willing to integrate into the various other communities and see the need to stick together when infact there is little need to....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.