Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Started Uni this yr, and although having an awesome time socially, the course (sport management) is far to easy and not really what I expected. Should I just stay for an easy ride (always wondering that I could have been at a better Uni), or should I cut my losses, drop out n reapply for a more traditional degree at a better Uni for 2007 entry.

Anyone done this in the past, or thinkin the same thing?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It's early days yet - are you sure they're not just easing you in?

ReputationRep:
    Most people's course is easy at the beginning.

The most important thing is, are you enjoying your course, if yes, then stay. If no, then maybe consider changing, but I still think being at uni for 5 weeks is too short a period to make a real decision as to whether you like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the 5 week thing completly, but If I'm gna reapply need 2 do it soon. Also when I say easy its ridiculous, teaching is terrible, and the work is really straightforward. Obvs can't rly describe it, bt it doesn't seem 2 b improving.
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The first year is relatively easy because they just want you to pass, but you wait until the second year you will not be saying how easy it is then, the work load is ten times as harder.

ReputationRep:
    You've got until the 1st of December to quit without paying any fees so i would definitely stick with it until then to see if the course gets harder! You seem very happy where you are and i can't help thinking that you might regret it if you move and hate the new place!!! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Ok, so If I stay is there a way of covering myself. Ie: could I put in a transfer to go to another uni for 2007 entry for a different course to sports management. If so how do I go about this?

ReputationRep:
    I believe (and I'm by no means sure) that if you want to transfer in between years you apply for the course via UCAS but put point of entry as 2 (aka 2nd year). However it's worth checking that since I've never done it myself but I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Also, you should probably just send an email to the admissions tutors at the university you want to apply to to find out if they take 2nd year entry students or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeboo)
    You've got until the 1st of December to quit without paying any fees so i would definitely stick with it until then to see if the course gets harder! You seem very happy where you are and i can't help thinking that you might regret it if you move and hate the new place!!! Good luck!
    where did you get that date from? I have to leave by the 3rd of November to be exempt from fees. It's usually 4 weeks of teaching.

ReputationRep:
    3rd of November = 4 weeks teaching?

That'd be week 8 on my course. Did you start later than most courses or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yesh, I only moved over to Bristol for Freshers week on the 2nd of October, with teaching starting on the 9th.

ReputationRep:
    So if you drop out after the date [whatever it is] you have to pay back all £3000, even though you've only been there a term, or less?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chester)
    So if you drop out after the date [whatever it is] you have to pay back all £3000, even though you've only been there a term, or less?
    No, £1,500 I believe, the rest is paid to the university in March (I think). Yes you have to pay it back, it's a loan.

ReputationRep:
    Oh of course, I remember the letter now, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it was the whole fee....

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you talk to some second/third years on your course and ask them if it gets harder through the years? Or ask your personal tutor or something. If you're having a great time socially you don't want to lose all that because its a big part of the uni experience. My course was pretty easy in the first year, at one point i remember thinking it might be nice to have a bit more lectures and work cos i was getting pretty bored but now i really wish i was in first year as its gotten so challenging.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.