Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    hehe...there's nothing wrong with prawn cocktail! One step up from Beer & a Burger for £2.99 at Wetherspoons.
    Beer and burger from Wetherspoons? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Why DO poor people smell like brussel sprouts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Why DO poor people smell like brussel sprouts?
    I don't know. But I once actually went inside a council house and soon became overpowered by the smell of sprouts.

ReputationRep:
    i would say that women are the most snobby

ReputationRep:
    This thread is beneath me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    This thread is beneath me.
    That post was hardly worth my attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin1234)
    i would say that women are the most snobby
    What a well-informed sweeping generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    There is an element of snobbery in every individual and in every aspect of life. Discuss.
    I do not feel that there is snobbery very much, just a sense of superiority over those less forntunate than yourself. Snobbery is exercised by those who were born into a fortunate position and so seem to lord it over everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I do not feel that there is snobbery very much, just a sense of superiority over those less forntunate than yourself. Snobbery is exercised by those who were born into a fortunate position and so seem to lord it over everyone.
    Not entirely. Snobbery seems to appear amongst some peope who strive to be the centre of attention, and in trying to remain so attempt to have others perceive them to be superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Not entirely. Snobbery seems to appear amongst some peope who strive to be the centre of attention, and in trying to remain so attempt to have others perceive them to be superior.
    teenage girls, for example, can follow the route of self beautification to make themselves feel more superior, as they feel they are more noticeable and therefore better than other girls who do not.

ReputationRep:
    teenage girls, for example, can follow the route of self beautification to make themselves feel more superior, as they feel they are more noticeable and therefore better than other girls who do not.
    yeah, thats one description of what I'm saying. Also a group of women in say a parents committee for a school. There always seems to be one who tries to be the centre of attention and when the attention is focused on them, they appear rather snobbish. Same with men in the same situation, though stereotypically women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    yeah, thats one description of what I'm saying. Also a group of women in say a parents committee for a school. There always seems to be one who tries to be the centre of attention and when the attention is focused on them, they appear rather snobbish. Same with men in the same situation, though stereotypically women
    Although the word snob is usually misused to describe those who are well spoken and well off, some of the worst offenders can be the lower class.

ReputationRep:
    Although the word snob is usually misused to describe those who are well spoken and well off, some of the worst offenders can be the lower class.
    *nods* Again you prove my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    *nods* Again you prove my point.
    We should begin the stop being so self concious and start dealing with the problems caused by the class divisions.

ReputationRep:
    We should begin the stop being so self concious and start dealing with the problems caused by the class divisions.
    yeah, and while we're at it, we should stop teenagers drinking alcohol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    yeah, and while we're at it, we should stop teenagers drinking alcohol
    more rigerously control it's sale, restricting it to certain shops.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience theres a greater contempt/distrust/general dislike for the middle class from the working class than vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    A prime example of snobbery on UKL would be percy., he views anyone without at least 6 a levels as simpletons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    What a well-informed sweeping generalisation.
    Christ. Not another "sweeping generalization" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    From my experience theres a greater contempt/distrust/general dislike for the middle class from the working class than vice versa.
    Perhaps that's just because the working class is bigger.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.