Ces 2015 Watch

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Well, it's CES week once again so I thought perhaps there should be general discussion thread for it.

Only seen the first 15 minutes of the Nvidia presentation so far, but TX1 seems interesting, although I expect they had to fudge the numbers a bit to make it 1Tflop . Shield tablet 2 Q3 perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:woo:

More 3440 x 1440 curved displays please. I want these things to become affordable (as well as a GPU to run the buggers!) ASAP! :yep:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
I really want a competitor to the RoG swift to be announced, would rather not pay £600 for it when i could get it for less with competition there
Alternatively, more freesync monitors, again, to try to push the cost down, although that would be more tentative given that ones AMD and one's Nvidia, may still bring the gsync module down to be more competitive
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikeyd85)
:woo:

More 3440 x 1440 curved displays please. I want these things to become affordable (as well as a GPU to run the buggers!) ASAP! :yep:
Well, with 900 series and some of the expectations of top end of R9 300 the GPUs shouldn't be that expensive
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Having watched a bit more of the Nvidia conference (and seen the titles for the vids of the rest), they're focusing on the automotive use of TX1, which is still pretty cool, for now. Presumably with the actual use of it for gaming coming much later in the year
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I really want a competitor to the RoG swift to be announced, would rather not pay £600 for it when i could get it for less with competition there
Alternatively, more freesync monitors, again, to try to push the cost down, although that would be more tentative given that ones AMD and one's Nvidia, may still bring the gsync module down to be more competitive
I'm kinda hoping that manufacturers drip support for gsync entirely so that freesync becomes the standard for both AMD and nVidia. Much better for the consumer that way.
Well, with 900 series and some of the expectations of top end of R9 300 the GPUs shouldn't be that expensive
Aye, but I only got my GTX780 around 7 months ago and my mobo doesn't support SLI. :sad:.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
I'm kinda hoping that manufacturers drip support for gsync entirely so that freesync becomes the standard for both AMD and nVidia. Much better for the consumer that way.
Well, we're yet to see how good freesync actually is, for all we know while it may be $100 less than Gsync (assuming they don't drop the price of the gsync module) it may not be as good at what it does

Aye, but I only got my GTX780 around 7 months ago and my mobo doesn't support SLI. :sad:.
Then get a new mobo that does and SLI?
Or wait for the AMD offerings, doesn't pretty much every mobo out there with the capacity for more than 1 GPU support crossfire? Then again, you'd be using AMD hardware
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, we're yet to see how good freesync actually is, for all we know while it may be $100 less than Gsync (assuming they don't drop the price of the gsync module) it may not be as good at what it does
Yeah, only time will tell.

Then get a new mobo that does and SLI?
Or wait for the AMD offerings, doesn't pretty much every mobo out there with the capacity for more than 1 GPU support crossfire? Then again, you'd be using AMD hardware
That's a new mobo, new PSU, new CPU (mine only have 16 PCI express lanes) and another GPU. May as well just build a new rig at that point! :lol: I could go AMD... :lol: No I couldn't! Much prefer nVidia / Intel.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
That's a new mobo, new PSU, new CPU (mine only have 16 PCI express lanes) and another GPU. May as well just build a new rig at that point! :lol: I could go AMD... :lol: No I couldn't! Much prefer nVidia / Intel.
Run the two cards in 8x rather than 16x? should have negligible, if any, impact on performance, after all, we can barely max out gen 2, let alone gen 3

This is why I like having an overkill mobo and CPU, don't really have to worry about such things. Need more RAM? Well, I can have up to 64GB DDR3, need more expansion slots? Well, got 40 lanes. Only real "problem" is not enough intel SATA ports
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Run the two cards in 8x rather than 16x? should have negligible, if any, impact on performance, after all, we can barely max out gen 2, let alone gen 3

This is why I like having an overkill mobo and CPU, don't really have to worry about such things. Need more RAM? Well, I can have up to 64GB DDR3, need more expansion slots? Well, got 40 lanes. Only real "problem" is not enough intel SATA ports
Aye, I was on a budget, so I went with overkill (for 1080p) gaming. This is the problem when you come from a console gaming point of view. 1080p60 seems like the be-all and end-all... but far from it! :lol:

Hmmm, might be worth looking at running them at 8x I guess.

I'm tempted to go for 32GB of RAM and set up a RAMDISK option for games... That'd be nice.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Aye, I was on a budget, so I went with overkill (for 1080p) gaming. This is the problem when you come from a console gaming point of view. 1080p60 seems like the be-all and end-all... but far from it! :lol:

Hmmm, might be worth looking at running them at 8x I guess.

I'm tempted to go for 32GB of RAM and set up a RAMDISK option for games... That'd be nice.
You should be fine on 8x unless you're doing something stupidly baller, and even then you will lose very little. was a thread on LTT forums a couple of moths back about only just hitting the cap in 2.0, and that was in generally unrealistic usage conditions.
And what do you mean 1080p60, how many games actually manage that?
I bet in a couple of years there will be TX2 or whatever the next tegra will be called that smashes the xbone and PS4 despite being a mobile chip
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should be fine on 8x unless you're doing something stupidly baller, and even then you will lose very little. was a thread on LTT forums a couple of moths back about only just hitting the cap in 2.0, and that was in generally unrealistic usage conditions.
And what do you mean 1080p60, how many games actually manage that?
I bet in a couple of years there will be TX2 or whatever the next tegra will be called that smashes the xbone and PS4 despite being a mobile chip
Ahh nice to know! :yep:

Haha, Forza managed it... I... errr... There's a reason I left "next gen" consoles. :lol:

Probably. It's insane how underpowered they are really. I'm so glad I came back to PC gaming. It's totally the way forward.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Ahh nice to know! :yep:

Haha, Forza managed it... I... errr... There's a reason I left "next gen" consoles. :lol:

Probably. It's insane how underpowered they are really. I'm so glad I came back to PC gaming. It's totally the way forward.
Those that manage it are the exceptions, not the rule, especially when looking at cross platform titles.

Also, TX1 is, according to Nvidia at least, the first mobile chip capable of 2160p60 encoding and decoding, both on H.265 and the other one
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
And here's that monitor competition I wanted:
http://www.pcgamer.com/acer-unveil-s...c-ips-monitor/
RoG swift, but IPS
marco14196
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Intel aren't showing squat thats interesting me with desktop Broadwell at all, NVIDIA are only showing a SoC for a device category that won't even take true advantage of that power and LG are showing a curvy phone. I was hoping to see more of NVIDIA's Maxwell lineup from CES and the possibility of AMD unveiling the R9 300 series of GPU's, if they can get TDP down whilst boosting performance, I'd be happy(though I have made the jump from a GTX 660 to a GTX 970 which is a real huge jump for me)
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by marco14196)
Intel aren't showing squat thats interesting me with desktop Broadwell at all, NVIDIA are only showing a SoC for a device category that won't even take true advantage of that power and LG are showing a curvy phone. I was hoping to see more of NVIDIA's Maxwell lineup from CES and the possibility of AMD unveiling the R9 300 series of GPU's, if they can get TDP down whilst boosting performance, I'd be happy(though I have made the jump from a GTX 660 to a GTX 970 which is a real huge jump for me)
There isn't really anything groundbreaking for Nvidia to talk about just yet, tbh, TX1 is pretty big though. They're hardly going to unveil any new flagship products when they don't even know where AMD stands, if R9 390X beats 980 then in a week or two we will see 980Ti/Titan 2 announced, if it's no better then that can wait for another day, Nvidia won't do any big desktop thing until AMD do.

Speaking of AMD, if they really are 20nm then that will be something to talk about, there will be a large boost in performance and a significant reduction in TDP and it will force the new nvidia flagship

Did you really expect anything particularly interesting from intel anyway? that comes next year when they, if all goes to plan, unveil 10nm, but there isn't really anything special for them to show off expected anyway.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
x
You know I was saying about Gsync 4k and wanting one....

sucks that 144Hz is practically impossible atm though at 4k
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You know I was saying about Gsync 4k and wanting one....

sucks that 144Hz is practically impossible atm though at 4k
I'll watch that when I'm at home.

I want that laser projector! :drool:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
I'll watch that when I'm at home.

I want that laser projector! :drool:
It's pretty cool, but I wouldn't pay $55k for it

Judging by this:

The macbook fanboys may not be able to go on about how they're the only powerful things that can last all day. I wonder what they will do then, ignore the battery or start claiming that it's better becuase it can go all day (incl while at home) without charging so they aren't tied to a socket while at home :beard:

One thing's for certain: the macbook aesthetic argument is definitely dead.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's pretty cool, but I wouldn't pay $55k for it
Sweet Jesus that thing is beautiful! :eek: Less than $1000 too. Nice! :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (115)
72.78%
No (43)
27.22%

Watched Threads