Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a few phone numbers of work experience coordinators in hospitals, but I have never rang anyone to sort out work experience before (I realise how stupid this sounds). What do I say when I ring the person?

Also what other places could I ring to ask for work experience?

Are there any places that would allow me to do a long term volunteering position (particularly on a Saturday as all my other days are full)? I will be 17 next month if that makes any difference. I have already been volunteering in a primary school for 4 months so I'm not really looking for anything to do with kids but any advice is appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Pirate123)
    I have a few phone numbers of work experience coordinators in hospitals, but I have never rang anyone to sort out work experience before (I realise how stupid this sounds). What do I say when I ring the person?

Also what other places could I ring to ask for work experience?

Are there any places that would allow me to do a long term volunteering position (particularly on a Saturday as all my other days are full)? I will be 17 next month if that makes any difference. I have already been volunteering in a primary school for 4 months so I'm not really looking for anything to do with kids but any advice is appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey there! If part of their job description is organising work experience for people, you won't have to worry too much about what you have to say, they'll be well used to it all.

It's just common sense stuff, really. Phone up, make sure you're talking to the right person ("Hi there, is this ___?"), then introduce yourself and say what you're looking for (I'm Pirate123 and I'm a sixth form student from Pirate Town. I'm interested in studying medicine/nursing/physiotherapy/whatever you're applying for, and was looking to get some work experience to improve my understanding of the job. I was told you were the right person to call about this and was wondering if you could help me?). They'll take care of the rest and ask appropriate questions for any more info they need!

E-mail is a great way to get in touch with people, or ringing GP reception/secretary might be worth a shot.

Have a Google for your CCG/board/trust and "volunteering opportunities" and see what comes up! Like "NHS Grampian hospital volunteering" or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi in college we are starting our own group connected to the CCG, and have been allocated a budget to spend in order to improve the mental health campaigns for young people. So if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how mental health could be improved and made more accessible, I will do my best to get everyone's opinions heard and hopefully then we will be able to act on that and improve the services to young people. Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2015

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.