The Student Room Group

Who the hell is this guy called Paul McCartney?

No idea whatsoever.

http://uk.eonline.com/news/610899/these-kanye-west-fans-don-t-know-who-paul-mccartney-is-which-means-all-of-society-is-doomed?cmpid=sn-111021-facebook-na-eonline

Seriously though... why is everyone surprised? Artists like Wiley are old school to a lot of the younger generation I've talked to! Is it surprising with how music has developed that artists like Paul McCartney have lost relevance to the younger generation? Why should kids get beaten with a stick when they don't know who Paul McCartney is anyway? I could argue that jazz musicians like Miles Davis, George Clinton and James Brown are much much more important to art forms like hip-hop and RnB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

kanye is bringing paul back to the forefront though. kanye is rescuing his career.
Reply 2
goodness me
I've known who Paul McCartney is for as long as I can remember, and none of my older relatives are especially into him or the Beatles. He didn't release any hits when I was younger (that I noticed), I just picked up who he is through osmosis. Why didn't everyone?
It is along the same lines of saying "who is Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson?" It also isn't exactly hard to find out who he is.
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure this was just a joke though? I've seen some of the tweets and they just come across as exaggerated/sarcastic so I assume it is one of those twitter/fanbase jokes that the media is obviously not privy to.
Original post by Gwilym101
It is along the same lines of saying "who is Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson?" It also isn't exactly hard to find out who he is.

Err no. Those men are much better than paul. I had to search him up before replying to you as I had no idea who he is and since I've reached 18 without no one in my school mentioning his name he isn't all that
James Brown immortalised the words 'get on the scene like a sex machine', I'd take him over Paul anyway
I think the problem is that most young people are uncultured ****s.
Pretty sure this was trolling although we already knew that society is full of *******s.
Yeah I love Paul McArteny my favourite song is Smells like Teen Spirit
Reply 13
Original post by white boy
kanye is bringing paul back to the forefront though. kanye is rescuing his career.

The man earns more in royalties in a year than a lot of people earn in a lifetime. His "career" really doesn't need "rescuing".
Original post by leemer
Yeah I love Paul McArteny my favourite song is Smells like Teen Spirit

:biggrin:
Paul whatever his name is, is overrated.

If the Beatles had the sort of competition the last ten years of music has produced, nobody would remember them. It's like when old men think that George Best, was the greatest footballer ever, he wasn't, the standard was just much lower back then, as was the case in all sports.
Original post by JC.
The man earns more in royalties in a year than a lot of people earn in a lifetime. His "career" really doesn't need "rescuing".

kanye has brought the man back from obscurity

thank you kanye
I bet people growing up in the sixties had no idea about music stars of the mid-1930s, thirty years before they were even born.

Youngsters' knowledge of music past and present has ballooned. Thanks to the Internet, young people have never been more informed about music, certainly not when first discovering it.
Madonna is the only artist that can constantly reinvent herself and be relevant today
Original post by yo radical one

Paul whatever his name is, is overrated.

If the Beatles had the sort of competition the last ten years of music has produced, nobody would remember them. It's like when old men think that George Best, was the greatest footballer ever, he wasn't, the standard was just much lower back then, as was the case in all sports.

The Point is not of the quality of the musician. The point is the relevance across different periods of time. The Beatles were for half a decade what 1D was 2 years ago: Popular. Whilst Elvis had his sex appeal the Beatles and other similar artists represented a new wave of music.

McCartney is still relevant today as if he were not, this thread would not exist, his relevance would not be debated. If you were to ask ordinary people in the mid-sixties what they thought of the Beatles, opinion would be split, typically with the older generation being negative and the younger positive. You'd get the same results today with the results reversed if your surveyed in 2014. The Beatles then were as controversial as will.i.am is today. What do you think got the Sixties swinging? Music!

Quick Reply

Latest