Is it easier for a rower to get into Oxbridge?

Watch
Mathmaticious
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Now I know that Oxbridge always say that they don't consider extracurricular's but surely it is no coincidence that top international rowers end up rowing for these two universities?

Or perhaps there is a correlation with good sportsmen and intelligence? :curious:
William Turtle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mathmaticious)
Now I know that Oxbridge always say that they don't consider extracurricular's but surely it is no coincidence that top international rowers end up rowing for these two universities?

Or perhaps there is a correlation with good sportsmen and intelligence? :curious:
Those top international rowers in the teams are doing masters degrees. Read into that how you wish.
around
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I think the proportion of top international rowers to people who row is possibly even smaller than that of people applying to Oxbridge vs people who get in to Oxbridge.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It might help if you are also really, really good at playing the organ.
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I suspect that if you are very talented it might play a role in postgraduate, rather than undergraduate, admissions. Couldn't say for sure though :dontknow:
Mathmaticious
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by William Turtle)
Those top international rowers in the teams are doing masters degrees. Read into that how you wish.
Around half were undergraduates last year I think?

(Original post by smile:D)
I suspect that if you are very talented it might play a role in postgraduate, rather than undergraduate, admissions. Couldn't say for sure though :dontknow:
So wouldn't make any difference if you're an undergraduate?
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The undergrads are mostly not top international rowers, though, with the notable exception of Constantine Louloudis.
William Turtle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

So wouldn't make any difference if you're an undergraduate?

Yep, but there are certainly suspicious presences - Storm Uru for Oxford was particularly dubious.

As far as I can see, there is FAR more scrutiny on undergraduate admissions. Consider that the vast majority of school-aged rowers are at private schools. Then if Oxford/Cambridge started admitting undergraduates based on their rowing potential, there'd be uproar. It'd be a huge win for those who claim that the universities are elitist; a big publicity blow.

Postgraduate, though... I've never once seen a news report that scrutinises postgraduate admissions policies.
Dionysia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads