The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Really don't see the point in this 7 party debate we're having. It's good to see minority parties like the Greens be given a voice, but I couldn't give two ****s about Plaid Cyrmu or the SNP and neither will 90% of the people tuning in who don't live in Wales or Scotland.

Agree with that. It's typical Cameron just wanting to deflect attention from his own failings. Ironic thing is, this was a banker Labour win if Ed wasn't a blithering fool. Paxman asking him at the end of the show the other night "are you okay" really summed it all up for me. Having said that, can see a Labour-Lib Dem coalition.
Paul Merton: "The Lib Dems are probably just gonna sit this election out"
1 year ago today, I asked my girlfriend to marry me.

1 year ago today she said no.

- thing is.. she had realised that it was 1st of april.

I had not.

A brief shocked second past before she said 'April fools! YES!'

---

A year on she still tells me what a nob I am for proposing on april fools day...

But the thing is that, as a man who is not great at remembering dates, I am never going to forget the day we got engaged, as every time it nears the end of march, and people start talking about pranks... I remember :redface:
Original post by fallen_acorns
1 year ago today, I asked my girlfriend to marry me.

1 year ago today she said no.

- thing is.. she had realised that it was 1st of april.

I had not.

A brief shocked second past before she said 'April fools! YES!'

---

A year on she still tells me what a nob I am for proposing on april fools day...

But the thing is that, as a man who is not great at remembering dates, I am never going to forget the day we got engaged, as every time it nears the end of march, and people start talking about pranks... I remember :redface:

Aw mate, that's nice
Original post by Depleted
Agree with that. It's typical Cameron just wanting to deflect attention from his own failings. Ironic thing is, this was a banker Labour win if Ed wasn't a blithering fool. Paxman asking him at the end of the show the other night "are you okay" really summed it all up for me. Having said that, can see a Labour-Lib Dem coalition.

We're definitely having a coalition, the only question is who.

Original post by TornadoGR4
Paul Merton: "The Lib Dems are probably just gonna sit this election out"

They may as well to be honest, what's the point? Who is going to listen to a word they say?
Anybody got a story on how they ****ed up academically in first year but graduated with a 1st/2.1 success story? :puppyeyes:

Tutor says I'm just grinding out a very low 2.1, might even slip into a 2.2 at the end of first year if I carry on like this. Eyes fully opened now..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Anybody got a story on how they ****ed up academically in first year but graduated with a 1st/2.1 success story? :puppyeyes:

Yeah, probably like 20-30% of student.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Yeah, probably like 20-30% of student.

Only 20%-30% of students have that story? Lol. This is why I rubbish the comment "first year doesn't count" every time someone says it.
Only 20%-30% of students have that story? Lol. This is why I rubbish the comment "first year doesn't count" every time someone says it.

Only?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Only?

It was an emphasis on my question. :colonhash: answer pls

not first year, but I ****ed up 2nd year badly..

In all it took me 5 years to get through uni:

1st year - dropped out, wrong uni, wrong subject, horrible time.. got a job and re-aplied

1st year again - Much better, loved the course, worked hard, ended with a 1st.

2nd year - went crazy, dropped out from uni again.. things got really bad

2nd year again - came back to uni, finished 2nd year this time, but barely.. bailed badly on a few exams, and my degree was capped from ever being a 1st, so max was 2.1 - ended with a 3rd in 2nd year.

3rd year - met my current wife, she helped me pull things together a bit.. worked my ass off both on uni work, and work experiance... ended up pushing my grade for 3rd year to a really decent 1st, meaning my overal degree grade was a 2.1 in the end.

Graduated - got a job within 3 days.. got married.. 10 months later got a better job that pays great for my age.. now moving to china.. life is pretty great.

---

Moral: uni does not have to go to plan.

For some people it does, and for others it does not.. So many times I felt like **** for taking a while to get through uni.. having to explain that your dropping out... AGAIN.. having to justify failing exams in 2nd year etc. - but you just have to keep going, and pushing forward, because in the end nothing that can go wrong with uni, will mean your life cannot work out great.
Dispite all the problems, things can still work out - and finishing a year with a bad grade, failing an exam, making a mistake, does not need to stop the progression of your life, and does not have to get in the way of what you want.

If there is one thing uni is good for, its improving yourself - and I would certianly say that I have seen many people go through hard times, and have difficulties at uni, only to come out the other end, a much stronger and better person.

So if you did do badly in first year.. dont worry. Its ok - just remind yourself that it does not change any of your plans or dreams, all it does is inform you of what you need to do now.. and guide you with how hard you need to work next year.

Serriously though - its always the struggles that we overcome that are the best things in life, and I still remember my graduation being a really amazing day.. as for almost all of that 5 years, I did not think it would actually happen - let alone with a 2.1 (these days I still have the default setting of thinking I did badly at uni.. then I remember 'wait.. I actually did ok') - so if first year goes badly, then your just going to have to work harder next year, and the year after.. but when its your turn to graduate, and your being handed your degree, with your 2.1 or your 1st, you will look back on first year as just part of the process and journey you needed to go through to get your degree :smile:
You still have two months
Retire from modding and work hard (I'll take over as mod)
Original post by fallen_acorns
x

Oh my goodness thank you so much. You always seem to have an answer for everything, bless you.
Yeah to be quite honest, it's not like I didn't expect it. I mean I'm so darn lazy. It's always "I'll do it later", "I'll finish it tomorrow". I know that if I put in the effort I can do really great things.
Lately, I've been focusing on car issues I've been ranting on about here. Now that I've finally got a car I can concerntrate on my studies. I know it sounds silly but I think I just operate this way. Like, I need to get something done and dusted before I work on the other. Anyway great story, a million out of ten :h:

So what course was it that you dropped out of and what course did you pick after?

Original post by difeo
You still have two months
Retire from modding and work hard (I'll take over as mod)

True true..
And lol difs pls, can you handle the power :sexface:
(edited 9 years ago)
I ****ed up so badly that I can't even get in to Uni :shifty:

Tutor says I'm just grinding out a very low 2.1, might even slip into a 2.2 at the end of first year if I carry on like this. Eyes fully opened now..

what are you finding difficult?

Law's pretty straightforward. So I expect its question answering technique. anyway I presume your first year doesn't count towards your final grade anyway?

I've seen very unphenomenal people get great grades just through cracking the exam technique.
(edited 9 years ago)
Mid 2:1 crew
Oh my goodness thank you so much. You always seem to have an answer for everything, bless you.
Yeah to be quite honest, it's not like I didn't expect it. I mean I'm so darn lazy. It's always "I'll do it later", "I'll finish it tomorrow". I know that if I put in the effort I can do really great things.
Lately, I've been focusing on car issues I've been ranting on about here. Now that I've finally got a car I can concerntrate on my studies. I know it sounds silly but I think I just operate this way. Like, I need to get something done and dusted before I work on the other. Anyway great story, a million out of ten :h:

So what course was it that you dropped out of and what course did you pick after?

Dropped out of english, to study music - awful decision job prospect wise... but well, with a bit of hard work, its all worked itself out in the end.

+ I know what you mean.. both me and my wife are the same with work.. we put it off, do it later.. I still have not forgiven her for giving me 6000 words of her dissertation to check at 3am before her 11am deadline, for her final masters project :biggrin: - I am not saying its a good trait to have, to put things off.. but well, just got to deal with it I guess :smile:

Its good that you have your car sorted though! and first year is not over yet - I am sure you can manage to pull things together with it, and end on a grade your proud of :smile:
Mid 2:1 crew

you need to show original thinking to get a first

suggest something like reverse concentric circles
Original post by swirly
you need to show original thinking to get a first

suggest something like reverse concentric circles

Or upgrade from Colgate to Sensodyne?
Or upgrade from Colgate to Sensodyne?

Das it.

Latest