The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

its all just generalisations, but it is something I have noticed having now worked with teenagers in two very different economic enviroments..

Two kids: Timothy Donaldson-may.. upper-middle class, born lucky into a nice family.. and Tommy Donalds, born into a hard working class family, who get by, but dont have an easy life

Both are the same ability in their academic subjects.. both as good as each other physically, both look identical.

---

You are working in a class with these kids and you spot them both throwing a peice of paper across the class room.. dispite lots of kids doing it, you choose to confront those two about it:

Timothy says he is sorry, appologies, avoids any confrontation. Inside he is angry with you, but does not show any of it..

Tom argues back. He is annoyed that you have singled him out, and feels the situation is unfair. he wont agree to something he feels is wrong, and wont back down from what he feels is right..

Timothy does not get in trouble, and as soon as the teacher is looking he carries on throwing paper, and keeps doing what he wants.. he never likes you, but youd never know it, unless he wanted you to.. he gets a reasonable mark that reflects his intelligence.

Tom gets sent out of the class for arguing.. when he is allowed back in, he is watched constantly, and can never throw paper around again. He is open about his dislike for you, and as a result you are constantly on his back throughout the whole year.. The arguing affects his grades, and as a result he does not manage to achieve the mark that reflects his ability.

----

In a hollywood film, Tom would be the hero. He is purely honest, stands up for what he believes in, and argues against what he feels is injustice..

In real life though, Timothy wins.. he avoids any confontation or problem that will negativly affect his chances in life, and even if it means ignoring what he feels is right in the moment, he instead focuses on what is right for his progression and ambitions.

(anyway, I am just rambling in my break at work)
tfw when you relate more to Timothy than Tom :colone:
Reply 742
Original post by Tom_Ford
And what about the vast vast vast majority who did not go to Oxbridge? It's why I intend to move country to make my money, to my father's country. Britain is great if you want to sit around on welfare , have the NHS looking after you or getting by with a min. wage/ zero hours type of gig. But if you want to make your money then there are just so many barriers here.

That was the point. You either do well from the start, make your AAAAA and oxbridge etc, or you're done.
(2 things you can guarentee when fallen_acorns wife is away: the house will look like a **** hole, and TSR will see a ten-fold increase in activity from my area..)
Original post by samba
That was the point. You either do well from the start, make your AAAAA and oxbridge etc, or you're done.

Makes sense: There is Zurich (and I am not trolling him this time, this is a srs anecdote), the LSE Economics 1st class grad with solid experience. You would think that he would walk into a banking role as he talked about frequently on these forums as his aspiration. Wrong, he is working class (white), a bitch Dutch even, and is now going to Berlin. I do not think he managed to find anything here after his several app cycles.

Also the countless ethnic minority and/or white working class people with top/moderate RG degrees who kind of fall by the wayside. I just see it so many times that I know what I see means something.

For example, Tom. One of my friends, parents from Africa but British born. He graduated from his masters and is quite literally a rocket scientist, graduated from Glasgow in 2009-2010. Instead of working in a good firm in his field he is working in a dead end bank job in a small city town centre. Meanwhile his white peers in his graduating cohort are working for top defence firms etc. He claims that after the 7 July Bombings it meant he could not get a job in the field. I tend to disagree with him, I think the employment problem is much more widespread and insidious than precautions after a terrorist attack.
(edited 9 years ago)
Am I the only one who got a PM from Scrawlx asking what was the best phone to buy for 140 quid?
Spoilerd for long and not relivant thoughts

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
Spoilerd for long and not relivant thoughts

Spoiler

Interesting thoughts there. If you don't mind me asking, are you in Uni or employment? If you are in employment, are you actually happy with your job? I attempted A Levels (got decent GCSEs) but fudged it & left without quals to get a job. I've been in retail for the last 2 years now, it's pretty ****, but the people I work with make it bearable. How you described yourself seems similar to me, that being you need to use your hands. Build things, fix things, make things work etc. An office job would kill me. I don't aspire to work in retail permanently so in December I applied for the military & my outlook changed immediately. I am by no means in the military yet, still got a few stages of the application yet but the first 2 stages have gone smoothly. I generally feel more positive about this potential career, it's exciting, it has opportunities, I don't feel trapped.

Your life is in your own hands mate, change it whilst you can.

Spoiler

Original post by TornadoGR4
Interesting thoughts there. If you don't mind me asking, are you in Uni or employment? If you are in employment, are you actually happy with your job? I attempted A Levels (got decent GCSEs) but fudged it & left without quals to get a job. I've been in retail for the last 2 years now, it's pretty ****, but the people I work with make it bearable. How you described yourself seems similar to me, that being you need to use your hands. Build things, fix things, make things work etc. An office job would kill me. I don't aspire to work in retail permanently so in December I applied for the military & my outlook changed immediately. I am by no means in the military yet, still got a few stages of the application yet but the first 2 stages have gone smoothly. I generally feel more positive about this potential career, it's exciting, it has opportunities, I don't feel trapped.

Your life is in your own hands mate, change it whilst you can.

Spoiler

Your right - I do dislike my job.

Not because I dont like what I do though.

I have alot of sympathy for you.. Ive done retail work, and well, found it beyond soul-crushing.. but your right, the people you do it with can make it bareable :smile:

At the moment I enjoy my day-to-day work.. I am on the go all the time.. working in stage/theatre.. I get to build sets, program lights, little bit of teaching kids, fixing things, running the lights/sound on shows etc, bit of filming/photography - it suits me very well..

Except... that I hate, and have always hated, working for other people. I have a huge aversion to authority, and hate the idea that someone is inherintly right, or has control over me, just due to usually having been workign longer. I actually really like my current boss - but their boss, and their bosses boss, I cant stand. and the whole notion just drives me crazy.

Really, I just need to do something similar to what I am doing now - but for myself, workign for myself, so that I can have peice of mind.. that is stage 1, stage 2 is to move back closer to my family, stage 3 is to reduce my addiction to tech + the internet, stage 4 is to engage far more with my community etc, step 5 is to have kids... (Acorns plan for leading a content life, at the moment)

---

Good luck on the army though :smile: its something I have always wanted to do... and I am always full of admiration, and a bit of envy for those who do.. I dont really know why I never went down that route, but my life just took me in a different path - there is something about it though, which is very appealing to me (you know, not the whole risk of death..) I am certianly sure you will find it more satisfying then retail :smile:

I have alot of sympathy for you.. Ive done retail work, and well, found it beyond soul-crushing.. but your right, the people you do it with can make it bareable :smile:

At the moment I enjoy my day-to-day work.. I am on the go all the time.. working in stage/theatre.. I get to build sets, program lights, little bit of teaching kids, fixing things, running the lights/sound on shows etc, bit of filming/photography - it suits me very well..

Except... that I hate, and have always hated, working for other people. I have a huge aversion to authority, and hate the idea that someone is inherintly right, or has control over me, just due to usually having been workign longer. I actually really like my current boss - but their boss, and their bosses boss, I cant stand. and the whole notion just drives me crazy.

Really, I just need to do something similar to what I am doing now - but for myself, workign for myself, so that I can have peice of mind.. that is stage 1, stage 2 is to move back closer to my family, stage 3 is to reduce my addiction to tech + the internet, stage 4 is to engage far more with my community etc, step 5 is to have kids... (Acorns plan for leading a content life, at the moment)

---

Good luck on the army though :smile: its something I have always wanted to do... and I am always full of admiration, and a bit of envy for those who do.. I dont really know why I never went down that route, but my life just took me in a different path - there is something about it though, which is very appealing to me (you know, not the whole risk of death..) I am certianly sure you will find it more satisfying then retail :smile:

Same here, except I also have the fear of being trapped in a job which I invest hope in progressing through for years, but that I ultimately waste my life being overlooked by others because of racial prejudice.

In general, these days I just feel very lost. Like a real detachment from regular society.

---

Thanks mate, it's the Royal Air Force though, not the Army (though I considered the army carefully for a while). I think a fair few people do actually join because of that risk of death (not that they literally want to die or anything), but I think it's more of the rush of the situation, people thrive off it. One of the things that initially attracted me to the military was the high stakes nature of it. I feel confident I've got the brains to succeed in it, fitness is the only thing I'm a bit shaky on. But I'd much rather do my revision by running & lifting weights than reading a textbook or computer. My main regret was not joining out of school (though I doubt I was prepared for it at that age anyway)

Yeah, I've seen a few people that want to be their own boss. Usually this stems from the fact that people currently in charge are incompetent & do things wrong & working in retail I definitely know that. A lot of bosses/managers have a little power trip going on & just like having the power to tell people what to do. It feeds their ego, although with that being said I know one or two managers that are very down to earth & I have a lot of respect for them
Same here, except I also have the fear of being trapped in a job which I invest hope in progressing through for years, but that I ultimately waste my life being overlooked by others because of racial prejudice.

In general, these days I just feel very lost. Like a real detachment from regular society.

for the first part, I can imaigine that it must be a really hard problem to worry about in your life, but id be lying if I said I could fully comprehend what its like to have that as a potential obstical in your life. I guess its difficult though, when you start out in a job its not easy to see your entire career path with that company, and its probably hard to spot the potential prejudice in your employers that may surface over time. Must be difficult.

for the 2nd, I understand.. its something that I really worry is becoming far more common in people around our age (newly graduated). I honestly do not know a single person my age who has thier life in the way they want it..

I was sat in a new years back on well, new years.. full of people our age, from a reasonably well off background, and looking around the room it was saddening I could see:

Un-emlployed graduates.. not happy due to not having a job
Graduates with great jobs, but no partners and not a great social life..
Graduates with great jobs that eat their lives, and give them so much stress..
Graduates with relationships/friends, but low paying jobs they dont like..
People going into post-graduate courses, because they had nothing else to do..
Graduate with a decent job, but had to move across the country away from friends to take it..
etc.

Not a single person I could see, had things the way they want, and it did sadden me a bit. I know its only a small sample - but I really worry that our generation is going to feel increasingly lost, as wages dont rise.. hosues are harder to get.. relationships are not as serrious (different rant, for another time) and life as a whole does not progress as it used to.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Thanks mate, it's the Royal Air Force though, not the Army (though I considered the army carefully for a while). I think a fair few people do actually join because of that risk of death (not that they literally want to die or anything), but I think it's more of the rush of the situation, people thrive off it. One of the things that initially attracted me to the military was the high stakes nature of it. I feel confident I've got the brains to succeed in it, fitness is the only thing I'm a bit shaky on. But I'd much rather do my revision by running & lifting weights than reading a textbook or computer. My main regret was not joining out of school (though I doubt I was prepared for it at that age anyway)

Yeah, I've seen a few people that want to be their own boss. Usually this stems from the fact that people currently in charge are incompetent & do things wrong & working in retail I definitely know that. A lot of bosses/managers have a little power trip going on & just like having the power to tell people what to do. It feeds their ego, although with that being said I know one or two managers that are very down to earth & I have a lot of respect for them

I get what you mean about doing things straight from school.. I feel the same - lots of things I wish I had done earlier.. but your right, as much as we dont like it, we are all ready for things at different staegs in our life, and all reach realisations at different times. Thinking back and saying 'well I wish I had done this earlier' I find futile, because, I did not do it earlier, and was not capable, because I was not ready..

ofcourse that does not stop the regret.. but regret is not all bad.. I remember a quote from a film:

"I'm saying you've already done plenty of things to regret, you just don't know what they are. It's when you discover them, when you see the folly in something you've done, and you wish that you had it do over, but you know you can't, because it's too late. So you pick that thing up, and carry it with you to remind you that life goes on, the world will spin without you, you really don't matter in the end. Then you will gain character, because honesty will reach out from inside and tattoo itself across your face."

From 'the big kahuna' - very powerful film that far to few people have seen.. talks a lot about life, religion, work, etc. - I may have re-watch it, after all my ranting is finished on here..
for the first part, I can imaigine that it must be a really hard problem to worry about in your life, but id be lying if I said I could fully comprehend what its like to have that as a potential obstical in your life. I guess its difficult though, when you start out in a job its not easy to see your entire career path with that company, and its probably hard to spot the potential prejudice in your employers that may surface over time. Must be difficult.

for the 2nd, I understand.. its something that I really worry is becoming far more common in people around our age (newly graduated). I honestly do not know a single person my age who has thier life in the way they want it..

I was sat in a new years back on well, new years.. full of people our age, from a reasonably well off background, and looking around the room it was saddening I could see:

Un-emlployed graduates.. not happy due to not having a job
Graduates with great jobs, but no partners and not a great social life..
Graduates with great jobs that eat their lives, and give them so much stress..
Graduates with relationships/friends, but low paying jobs they dont like..
People going into post-graduate courses, because they had nothing else to do..
Graduate with a decent job, but had to move across the country away from friends to take it..
etc.

Not a single person I could see, had things the way they want, and it did sadden me a bit. I know its only a small sample - but I really worry that our generation is going to feel increasingly lost, as wages dont rise.. hosues are harder to get.. relationships are not as serrious (different rant, for another time) and life as a whole does not progress as it used to.

Yeah, it means I will have to consider my route a bit differently. It is a shock to the system, because with life up to now I was never worried with race relations. But, in a corporate setting, I think it is (especially) ingrained within the native elders in institutions that they like to favour people from exactly the same background as them (race, colour, schools etc). It just makes me think back to when I was a boy, and I used to go to football training all of the time, did as well as the other boys. But the coach said that I would only be allowed to train with them and not play any games. I was the only kid with a hint of being different. I stopped going to training while my friends continued. I am a mixed race kid that did well in a north east state comprehensive, I am as far away as you can get from the type of guy that would be working as a professional in a big corporation. I'm just me, just a normal lad.

Second bolded part: Yes, those are my exact worries. A big part of me wants to settle down eventually with a wife and kids without having my soul crushed by my career.

I think my Dorian Grayism (hello Qua :smile:) approach to life to date is a mechanism born out of the fact I see no future like that really, and also my past/upbringing. It gives me stimulation but not real happiness, not a real catharsis. I think I am sort of (it has been a tough year of getting my head around it) mentally ready to accept that life may be very financially difficult and ultimately lonely [like it will be for many of us] and that unlike my parents we will not have the support structure of our friends because we are so detached from each other as a generation these days. Everything is so aesthetic, much to our detriment.

My parents used to complain about wishing they had a bigger house, it is funny to think that they had it pretty good imo and that no matter how hard many of us work a lot of us will not get what they had. They have had a marriage that will last 25 years this year, they had plenty of spending money for family holidays, they had plenty of opportunities to secure their long term financial security and they have done that very well.

Little about me that many of you will not know because I have never said. But I was born and brought up in a Catholic household that holds many of the old beliefs. Although I live a very non-moralistic lifestyle, I was conditioned in such a way that no matter how much I change, I will always feel to some extent the guilt of things like sex out of marriage for example. Simply because that sort of thing was repeated ad infinitum when I was growing up. My partner to be will never be accepted until she fulfils a long list of their criteria and be exactly like them, live exactly like them. For that, I feel another layer of my life where I feel unavoidably chained down. I don't think I will ever be in a happy family existence. My years growing up tbh were overall bloody miserable except from those little moments such as football that were an escape. I don't say that without having given it much thought, they were truly terrible. I guess you can say I was the typical repressed Catholic/conservative child that grew up and lived in a secret life of pleasure (it happens more than you think). I was a very repressed kid, no going out to play with friends in the street etc.

Despite everything, I still feel close to God in my own way without people telling me how I should believe in him. .
(edited 9 years ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JzmwsjItU

'Vloggers' :o:

It's just women recording themselves talking about their day and what make up they use :biggrin:

Any of you lot watch this rubbish? Proper boring bastards.
x

Will reply later today when I am more awake...

Original post by Wilfred Little
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64JzmwsjItU

'Vloggers' :o:

It's just women recording themselves talking about their day and what make up they use :biggrin:

Any of you lot watch this rubbish? Proper boring bastards.

I am jelous.. the money some of these youtube guys/girls are on for so little work... all credit to them, wish I did it
I am jelous.. the money some of these youtube guys/girls are on for so little work... all credit to them, wish I did it

Can't knock the hustle.
Pulled an absolute stunning hipster girl last night, my chat was unbelievable. Taken a things, but I felt like superman

Dalston>Berlin loooooooooove this town
Original post by Zürich
Pulled an absolute stunning hipster girl last night, my chat was unbelievable. Taken a things, but I felt like superman

Dalston>Berlin loooooooooove this town

Assuming no fraud, nice one.

Thought you were gay.
Assuming no fraud, nice one.

Thought you were gay.

you mean youve sent me PMs and had a go? That's why you thought I was an iron?

Latest