The Student Room Group

National Youth Theatre 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Toynbee studios. How about you?
Original post by Gemmawho
Toynbee studios. How about you?

The same! That's a coincidence. I'm pretty much in the same situation with you in regards to getting into performing quite late, at 17 to be exact.
Reply 22
Oh that's cool. I got into drama about a year and a half ago now and I've loved every minute of it so far. Have you auditioned before? What style of monologue are you doing?
Oh that's cool. I got into drama about a year and a half ago now and I've loved every minute of it so far. Have you auditioned before? What style of monologue are you doing?

I haven't no. I'm doing a Shakespeare piece, its what I feel comfortable with, how about you?
Reply 24
I'd love to do Shakespeare, but I'm not as comfortable with it as I'd like to be so I went for a piece from a recent adaptation of a classic. I was torn between the one I've chosen and a Monologue from Tom Stoppard's newest play, the Hard Problem but I only came across it earlier this week and I thought it was pushing it a bit in terms of getting to grips with it. Best of luck to you!
I'd love to do Shakespeare, but I'm not as comfortable with it as I'd like to be so I went for a piece from a recent adaptation of a classic. I was torn between the one I've chosen and a Monologue from Tom Stoppard's newest play, the Hard Problem but I only came across it earlier this week and I thought it was pushing it a bit in terms of getting to grips with it. Best of luck to you!

Good luck to you as well :smile:
Reply 26
Hi:smile:
I'm gonna be auditioning tomorrow (16th Feb) at the London bubble and was wondering if anyone else had the same date and place??
Original post by zaxj@mes
Hi:smile:
I'm gonna be auditioning tomorrow (16th Feb) at the London bubble and was wondering if anyone else had the same date and place??

I auditioned today in London :smile: good luck though!
Reply 28
Original post by PAStudent1996
I auditioned today in London :smile: good luck though!

Thanks! How did everything go?
Thanks! How did everything go?

I felt it went pretty well, I'd say 7.5/10.

There really is nothing to worry about, it's such a great experience.
Reply 30
Original post by PAStudent1996
I felt it went pretty well, I'd say 7.5/10.

There really is nothing to worry about, it's such a great experience.

Thanks for that, I've been worrying about it for weeks now! Taken some of the nervs away. Haha
I had my audition today, it was so fun!! Everyone there is really kind and friendly and the nerves are all forgotten about 5 minutes in to the workshop. The only thing I'm not sure about is that they got me to repeat my monologue in a different way, is this a good thing? Or did I mess up so badly that they felt they had to give me guidance?
Anyway, anyone who's auditioning has nothing to worry about, it's amazing!!
Reply 32
Original post by bowtiesarec00l
I had my audition today, it was so fun!! Everyone there is really kind and friendly and the nerves are all forgotten about 5 minutes in to the workshop. The only thing I'm not sure about is that they got me to repeat my monologue in a different way, is this a good thing? Or did I mess up so badly that they felt they had to give me guidance?
Anyway, anyone who's auditioning has nothing to worry about, it's amazing!!

You have nothing to worry about. My audition was on Monday and they got me to repeat my monologue. They told me to be more like myself, and relax a little. Its just so they can figure out how you respond to things and also if there's any changes that could be made to make it better. A lot of people there also had to repeat theirs, which made me feel assured it wasn't my fault, lol!
You have nothing to worry about. My audition was on Monday and they got me to repeat my monologue. They told me to be more like myself, and relax a little. Its just so they can figure out how you respond to things and also if there's any changes that could be made to make it better. A lot of people there also had to repeat theirs, which made me feel assured it wasn't my fault, lol!

Okay phew :smile:
For me they asked the ambassador to walk around the space and I had to try and get their attention. If she was interested she would stop and stare me in the eyes, which thankfully she did! Guess we'll have to wait until May to find out whether we're in or not (good luck!)
Original post by bowtiesarec00l
Okay phew :smile:
For me they asked the ambassador to walk around the space and I had to try and get their attention. If she was interested she would stop and stare me in the eyes, which thankfully she did! Guess we'll have to wait until May to find out whether we're in or not (good luck!)

I had an audition yesterday (Sat 21st in London) and they asked me to do my monologue again in a totally different way, with the ambassador walking around me and for me to imagine i was in a street and on a handsfree call to my brother. I think the idea was I had to focus on conveying emotion just in my face, whilst being aware of people around me, therefore showing how I can take direction etc. :smile:

They were really nice and the guy auditioning me said that I had created a "beautiful emotion" or something like that! :colondollar: He also said "Really nice to meet you" and I don't know whether to read into that too much because some people thought it implies he won't be seeing me again or something? Really relaxed and friendly so don't be worried if you have an audition coming up!
I auditioned yesterday (21st feb) in Plymouth stand the morning session went amazing for me! But I don't think I did very well at all in the monologue in the afternoon:/ the guy before me was in there for ages and had to repeat his loads of times. I went in there and performed mine. Then she(the judge) said that was all and I left:/ she hardly even looked at me the whole time ....and just before i went in the ambassador said to me that she was really strict so I know that I haven't got through. I'm just so confused though because through the whole of the morning session the judge was watching me quite a bit but for my monologue she hardly seemed bothered. I performed my monologue at 3.30 :/ oh we'll always next year. Well done to everyone and If you haven't had your audition yet just enjoy it its so fun:smile:
Original post by Becca1213
I auditioned yesterday (21st feb) in Plymouth stand the morning session went amazing for me! But I don't think I did very well at all in the monologue in the afternoon:/ the guy before me was in there for ages and had to repeat his loads of times. I went in there and performed mine. Then she(the judge) said that was all and I left:/ she hardly even looked at me the whole time ....and just before i went in the ambassador said to me that she was really strict so I know that I haven't got through. I'm just so confused though because through the whole of the morning session the judge was watching me quite a bit but for my monologue she hardly seemed bothered. I performed my monologue at 3.30 :/ oh we'll always next year. Well done to everyone and If you haven't had your audition yet just enjoy it its so fun:smile:

Oh really? That sounds so annoying for the audition, just bad luck! Did she not ask you any questions or ask you to do it again?
Original post by katieysl
Oh really? That sounds so annoying for the audition, just bad luck! Did she not ask you any questions or ask you to do it again?

She asked me questions at the start like did I have any skills (I said I play guitar and sing) and what monologue I picked and why but she didn't ask me to do it again or anything like that. All she said was 'thank you that's all'. She didn't ask me anything else after I did my Monologue. :/ just felt like I did really badly as she hardly seemed interested :/ the ambassador watched me though but yeah:/ oh my well hehe xx I'm definitely going again next year if I don't get in
She asked me questions at the start like did I have any skills (I said I play guitar and sing) and what monologue I picked and why but she didn't ask me to do it again or anything like that. All she said was 'thank you that's all'. She didn't ask me anything else after I did my Monologue. :/ just felt like I did really badly as she hardly seemed interested :/ the ambassador watched me though but yeah:/ oh my well hehe xx I'm definitely going again next year if I don't get in

Im sure you didn't do badly she just seems like harder to read than the one I had and others I've heard about! Don't judge your performance by her reaction! How did you feel your speech went?

Same! i doubt ill get in this year (first try) so I will try again next year!

Poor you, your auditioner sounds really harsh :frown: If you feel it went okay I suppose that's what really matters! :smile: they might not have wanted to give anything away, but I don't know... I was one of the first to audition in my group so I don't really know how everyone else's went. As its my first time I doubt I've got in but Im definitely auditioning next year if I havent!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending