The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry 6ch04/05 JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iPixelBlue
I haven't really come across a proper synthesis question where they ask you how to make this from that- with loads of steps (maybe only one question in a recent paper)? is this something from unit 6?

Lots of questions on Azo dyes and all other other reactions so knowing them all will cover all you're bases
Original post by MikeBird
Lots of questions on Azo dyes and all other other reactions so knowing them all will cover all you're bases

Oh yeah, I know that by heart, but again that is just memorization that got me full marks for that q
Original post by iPixelBlue
I haven't really come across a proper synthesis question where they ask you how to make this from that- with loads of steps (maybe only one question in a recent paper)? is this something from unit 6?

The most synthesis-y question I have seen was when they asked to me to give the full process for chromatography for identifying amino acids - 7 marks, and I just wrote every point from memory.

Organic Synthesis isn't just the experiments. It's concerned with producing organic compounds via organic reactions.

Sometimes they give one of those flow chart things where one compound reacts with a A and B and C and D to produce E and F and G and so on.

And they'll ask you what the reactants are, or what is formed etc and it could be an alkane/alkene/alcohol/aldehyde/ketone/whatever, so previous Organic Chemistry knowledge is important!
Capture.JPG2.JPG
Attachment not found

the answer is D, but I don't understand what's going on, any help would be appreciated:smile: thanks
Original post by HopefulDentist..
Capture.JPG2.JPG
Attachment not found

the answer is D, but I don't understand what's going on, any help would be appreciated:smile: thanks

Aldehyde and carboxylic acid groups are reduced to alcohol groups. (reverse of the potassium dichromate reaction)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Capture.JPG2.JPG
Attachment not found

Look at this link to understand what's going on :smile:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/carbonyls/reduction.html
Original post by aersh8
Aldehyde and carboxylic acid groups are reduced to alcohol groups. (reverse of the potassium dichromate reaction)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, what's the addition of acid going to do?
Original post by cerlohee
Look at this link to understand what's going on :smile:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/carbonyls/reduction.html

Thank you!
Thank you, what's the addition of acid going to do?

It's part of the mechanism.
So the reducing agent first breaks the oxygen double bond to leave a negatively charged oxygen which is singly bonded to the carbon, as well as donating a hydride to the carbon too. The addition of the acid then protonates the oxygen to form the hydroxide group. This is done with acid rather than reducing agent because the acid donates H+ whilst the reducing agent can only donate H-.
suppose the overall equation for a reaction is: 2A+B----------> C; how do we:
. say that this reaction involves more than one steps
.find the RDS or the slow step???
Anyone???:s-smilie:

Thanks in advance!
It's part of the mechanism.
So the reducing agent first breaks the oxygen double bond to leave a negatively charged oxygen which is singly bonded to the carbon, as well as donating a hydride to the carbon too. The addition of the acid then protonates the oxygen to form the hydroxide group. This is done with acid rather than reducing agent because the acid donates H+ whilst the reducing agent can only donate H-.

wow are we supposed to know this? because i'm looking at the spec right now and they don't say anything about mechanisms on this particular reduction/oxidation reaction
Original post by Amir52

Thanks in advance!

are you sure you haven't left out any part of the question? which paper?
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
are you sure you haven't left out any part of the question? which paper?

exactly even I felt something is left out! it's just some 'worked example' that I've came across, where the question says, 'Write rate equations for the following',..and only the overall equation is provided
Original post by Amir52

Thanks in advance!

There would be more information to it... So if, for instance, there was only one of A or B involved in the rds, you would conclude there must be a second step in which the other molecule reacted in. Youd find the rds experimentally, there's no other way to do it.

wow are we supposed to know this? because i'm looking at the spec right now and they don't say anything about mechanisms on this particular reduction/oxidation reaction

There was a question I saw about how reducing agents work, not so much the mechanism though. I can't remember the paper. I've only learnt it because it's helped me understand the need for acid so there's one less thing to rote learn :smile:
There would be more information to it... So if, for instance, there was only one of A or B involved in the rds, you would conclude there must be a second step in which the other molecule reacted in. Youd find the rds experimentally, there's no other way to do it.

There was a question I saw about how reducing agents work, not so much the mechanism though. I can't remember the paper. I've only learnt it because it's helped me understand the need for acid so there's one less thing to rote learn :smile:

aha yup totally with these chemistry units it would do no harm to learn the "behind the scenes" given the unpredictable nature of edexcel exams :smile: thanks
aha yup totally with these chemistry units it would do no harm to learn the "behind the scenes" given the unpredictable nature of edexcel exams :smile: thanks

exactly :smile:
I am so scared for this...

First off, how is everyone memorizing such bulk information? Because I've memorized a lot of Unit 4 things but it's not happening for Unit 5 for some reason.

Also, I've been using the revision guide because I dislike the slabs of text in the textbook, but am I going about this the wrong way? Does the textbook have all the information I am coveting?

Also time management is an issue; I can finish the multiple choice in about 15 minutes, which is decent (I usually get between 13-17 out of 20 in past papers).

But I barely finish Section B and C with half a minute to spare on a good day, and still have two parts of a question unanswered on a bad day :/

I have done two past papers for Unit 4 and got a B in both. Reason I'm stressing so much is because I need an A for both my firm and insurance :s

Sorry for the long rant, any advice appreciated!

Edit: I got a 238 UMS B for AS so I have to deffo get a good A to average it out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 11.46.19.png
For some reason I just cannot get my head around these calculations :angry: So I have worked out the moles of thiosulphate, but the mark scheme jumps straight into ''moles of Cu2+ in 25cm^3 sample = moles of thiosulphate'', I just can't see how to work this out :-( I'm probably being really silly, but could somebody please point me in the right direction :colondollar:
Original post by laurenjjj
Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 11.46.19.png
For some reason I just cannot get my head around these calculations :angry: So I have worked out the moles of thiosulphate, but the mark scheme jumps straight into ''moles of Cu2+ in 25cm^3 sample = moles of thiosulphate'', I just can't see how to work this out :-( I'm probably being really silly, but could somebody please point me in the right direction :colondollar:

those are moles in 25cm3 so you must multiply moles of 25 by 10 to get moles in 250

let me know if you want me to work it out for you :smile:
those are moles in 25cm3 so you must multiply moles of 25 by 10 to get moles in 250

let me know if you want me to work it out for you :smile:

I understand that part, I just wasn't sure why the moles of thiosulphate would equal the moles of cu2+ ions, but I realised I hadn't balanced the equation in part a, now it all makes sense :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending