Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know any UK newspapers that run graduate training schemes?

    Thanks in advance.

    Regional papers- ones owned by Trinity Mirror may offer some but not very many! Also Financial Times and The Times but these are seriously competitive.
    There are lots of groups of local papers owned by the same publisher- try Benn's Media Directory and Willet's Press Guide (in local library) and call companies up.

    I think most places recruit from NCTJ course graduates though.

    Because most nationals only take a small handful (often 1 or 2) graduates, I don't know if there's a formal graduate training scheme. I have friends who've started at Times and Sunday Times (with just undergrad degrees, no Postgrad Dip/NTCJ) who've just got stuck in from day one.

    Well, Chassez is right, only the odd person gets in with the national, but on the Times website it says something about the trainees rotating departments (ie home news, international news, politics etc) every few months for the first year or two, and this is probably a good way to get trained.
    I would advise you to go to your career dept. as they should have a brochure of regionals doing training schemes. I have one somewhere and will try to find it and post what it says.
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.