Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new aroud here and I'm in the second year of my A-Levels. Im in the middle of filling in my UCAS form, a bit confused at the moment as of what to stydy at Uni. I was thinking of Economics at Aberystwyth.

For my AS i got Maths (A), Computing (A), Geography (A) and Physics (B). Dropped Physics this year though. Is it neccessary or helpful to have an A level in Business Study's or Economics or could I do Economics with my Maths?

I was also considering computer science and geography at Aber, but don't want to apply for too much different subjects because it will make the personal statement look a bit silly!

Thanks in advance!

Archie*

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of a hard question to answer, seeing as you are the only one who can really decide whether or not its for you. However, if you did decide to do it, I'd reccomend aiming higher than aberystwyth considering your three A grades, unless you really want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    Concur with that, you don't need exposure to social science subjects in order to study Economics at degree level - Maths will get you there fine (as well as Computing).

You don't need to do Economics A-Level, nor Business A-Level, only if you're seen as interested in current affairs and how systems work, that'll make Economics for you... =)

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, the main reason for Aber is because fees for Welsh students are a third of fees in England. The welsh assembly pay the other 2/3. That is why I want to stay in Wales, and Aber is not too far away and not to near to home. Could go for Cardiff though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah if you want to stay in Wales then go for Cardiff they have a good departemnt

ReputationRep:
    Yep Cardiff's department is supposed to be quite good so I would choose to go there moreso than Abers.

ReputationRep:
    trust me, the potential jobs you could get by going somewhere like bristol over aberstywth is worth a lot more than those extra 2000 pounds for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    come to london mate, its worth the move. or yes bristol would be excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Reinforcing what Kendra mentioned above, if you have an interest in current affairs, specifically business/economical related issues, then Economics is something you may enjoy. Pick up a copy of the Economist if you're not too sure on this. Also, try to get your hands on an A-Level Economics textbook; spend a little time going through it to see if the broad topics offer something of interest. That being said, not one university explicitly requires A-Level Economics or Business, whilst it may be preferable, a potential interest in studying the subject at degree-level is what is needed.

Restricting yourself to Wales, even more Aberystwyth, doesn't sound like a very good idea though - it sounds as if you are basing your subject choice around what's on offer geographically rather than basing the university decision on the subject you feel most compelled towards. Tuiton fees is always an issue to take into account, but from a long-term perspective, pursuing the subject you are most interested in at a reputable university would surely be economically feasible.

Pick the area you would most enjoy and apply to a range of different universities (including the Welsh institutions). If having received offers from UK universities, such as Bristol and the London ones, your perspective may change over the year. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    A-Level Maths is so much more important than A-Level Econ when doing a Economics degree. I'm seeing that now. We have basically covered most of the A-Level Maths syllabus already and I think later in the term we will move on to Matrices etc. I would be in deep trouble if I hadn't done A-Level Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kentish Man)
    A-Level Maths is so much more important than A-Level Econ when doing a Economics degree. I'm seeing that now. We have basically covered most of the A-Level Maths syllabus already and I think later in the term we will move on to Matrices etc. I would be in deep trouble if I hadn't done A-Level Maths.

yes i agree...maths is essential. economics = maths. im sure uve heard the saying b4.

ReputationRep:
    A level economics according to many of my friends does not give one much of an advantage either. im not sure which unis, but many have said, the models used at a level are completely different and fleshed out completed at degree level. maths is way more important esp when it comes to econometrics in 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Browneyedboi)
    A level economics according to many of my friends does not give one much of an advantage either. im not sure which unis, but many have said, the models used at a level are completely different and fleshed out completed at degree level. maths is way more important esp when it comes to econometrics in 2nd year.
    I agree, although at my University people claimed they just stopped going to first year Economics lectures because they started off too much like A-Level, but then it rapidly changes into Keynesian Macroeconomic theories (mainly IS/LM).

Mathematics does link very highly into Econometrics, most of it is statistical analysis and mapping of probability functions. Although it's not a necessity, I didn't do A-Level Mathematics and came top of my year in both Economics and Econometrics, but obviously that just requires that little bit extra work / effort.

ReputationRep:
    With your predictions, you should definitely apply outside of wales. see the "top 10" thread for views on which are the top unis for economics.

at this stage, tuition fees seem scarily high in England. but you get a loan to cover them which you don't have to start paying back until you're earning £15k and there are lots of bursaries if you're from a lower income household

the £6k difference in fees could probably be covered by the difference in your first year's salary after graduation (economists from top unis are some of the highest paid graduates). the return on the investment over a lifetime could easily run into 6 figures. have a look at this paper by some economists on different returns by uni type http://cee.lse.ac.uk/cee%20dps/ceedp33.pdf

it's not just about money. the higher ranked unis often have better teaching from academics at the cutting edge of their field and you also learn from a more highly qualified student cohort.

all unis are not the same & this could be a life changing decision. at least, visit as many unis as you can for open days. even if you end up deciding that studying in wales is better for you, you'll be making a rational decision based on some evidence. you have 6 choices on your UCAS form. make the most of them.

good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2006

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.