Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Does anyone currently study psychology at the university of Reading and be able to tell me what it is like?? Such as lectures/seminars and if they are well delivered and how we are assessed.

I'm a transfer student and so would possibly look at studying there in September for Level 2 entry.

Also if anyone could tell me which accommodation would be best for a second year? Or if psychology buildings are far from reading station just so I can see whether commuting would be better?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Llang17)
    Hello,

Does anyone currently study psychology at the university of Reading and be able to tell me what it is like?? Such as lectures/seminars and if they are well delivered and how we are assessed.

I'm a transfer student and so would possibly look at studying there in September for Level 2 entry.

Also if anyone could tell me which accommodation would be best for a second year? Or if psychology buildings are far from reading station just so I can see whether commuting would be better?

Hello!

I am currently a student at the university and whilst I do not study Psychology I can give you some advice on what Reading is like.

For the type of assessment it usually depends on the module you are studying. Some will be a mixture of exam and coursework, others will have just coursework and you may get some assessed presentations which will contribute to your final grade in that module. In my own experience I have found the staff to be very supportive and have no problems going to them for help. Here is the brochure for the subject: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/p...RTSNM10WEB.pdf

For accommodation, what type are you looking for- catered, self catered, en suite...etc? I would say second years and above tend to go for self catered. Park Group has a selection of halls on campus so its more quicker to get to places. Childs, Greenow & McCombie, Stenton Townhouses, Stenton, and Mackinder halls are all self catered and part of the Park Group Halls. Alternatively Bridges might be better as it is much closer to the Psychology building. Bridges is also self catered and there are a variety of rooms you can choose from. Usually the university does its best to group people in the same year in the same flat, but if you would like this chance strengthened just specify in your application your preference.
    For more details on the different halls click on this link: http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accomm...alls-list.aspx

The psychology building isn't too far from the station if you get a bus. Campus is quite big and the building is nearer to the lake on the other side. There is a bus that goes straight from the station right into campus. From the bus stop on campus, it will probably be a seven minute walk to the psychology building.

I've really enjoyed my time at Reading so far, and if there is anything else you need to know just ask. I'll enquire at the office if anyone can give you some more information on the Psychology course. You can always contact the Psychology office via email on [email protected]

Pip, third year english Literature and History of Art

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Hi, I'm a first year studying Psychology so hopefully I can help.

I can't offer any advice about part two as I'm not too sure on how it's ran. But one good thing about studying Psychology at Reading is Blackboard which is an online portal system. Your lecturers upload all of your lecture slides onto there which mean you aren't rushed for taking notes during the lecture. Additionally, some modules run online discussions with the lecturer which are timetabled in - it's basically an hour long online discussion regarding the lecture material allowing students to clarify information and ask questions.

As far as accommodation, you aren't necessarily going to be in the Psychology building much so I wouldn't base your choices purely on that. I'm only there once a week with the rest of the time spent mostly across campus. Reading station would probably require a short bus ride from the station in order to get into campus. Alternatively, you could get the train to Earley and walk in as the Earley train station is situated closer to campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LxD)
    Hi, I'm a first year studying Psychology so hopefully I can help.

I can't offer any advice about part two as I'm not too sure on how it's ran. But one good thing about studying Psychology at Reading is Blackboard which is an online portal system. Your lecturers upload all of your lecture slides onto there which mean you aren't rushed for taking notes during the lecture. Additionally, some modules run online discussions with the lecturer which are timetabled in - it's basically an hour long online discussion regarding the lecture material allowing students to clarify information and ask questions.

As far as accommodation, you aren't necessarily going to be in the Psychology building much so I wouldn't base your choices purely on that. I'm only there once a week with the rest of the time spent mostly across campus. Reading station would probably require a short bus ride from the station in order to get into campus. Alternatively, you could get the train to Earley and walk in as the Earley train station is situated closer to campus.
    Hi,

Do you know if they offer accommodation for second years? I'd like to make some friends there and I think accommodation would be a good starter as well as societies currently at the university I attend now it can be difficult in class as there's so many of us and seminars are still large in number !

Also does it cost much to travel each day between campuses ?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    Hello!

I am currently a student at the university and whilst I do not study Psychology I can give you some advice on what Reading is like.

For the type of assessment it usually depends on the module you are studying. Some will be a mixture of exam and coursework, others will have just coursework and you may get some assessed presentations which will contribute to your final grade in that module. In my own experience I have found the staff to be very supportive and have no problems going to them for help. Here is the brochure for the subject: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/p...RTSNM10WEB.pdf

For accommodation, what type are you looking for- catered, self catered, en suite...etc? I would say second years and above tend to go for self catered. Park Group has a selection of halls on campus so its more quicker to get to places. Childs, Greenow & McCombie, Stenton Townhouses, Stenton, and Mackinder halls are all self catered and part of the Park Group Halls. Alternatively Bridges might be better as it is much closer to the Psychology building. Bridges is also self catered and there are a variety of rooms you can choose from. Usually the university does its best to group people in the same year in the same flat, but if you would like this chance strengthened just specify in your application your preference.
    For more details on the different halls click on this link: http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accomm...alls-list.aspx

The psychology building isn't too far from the station if you get a bus. Campus is quite big and the building is nearer to the lake on the other side. There is a bus that goes straight from the station right into campus. From the bus stop on campus, it will probably be a seven minute walk to the psychology building.

I've really enjoyed my time at Reading so far, and if there is anything else you need to know just ask. I'll enquire at the office if anyone can give you some more information on the Psychology course. You can always contact the Psychology office via email on [email protected]

Pip, third year english Literature and History of Art
    Hi do you know the best accommodation for second years ? If rather be self catered
    As I'm a transfer student being placed in halls with other second/third years may be best as It may help me to make friends!
    Many thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi do you know the best accommodation for second years ? If rather be self catered
    As I'm a transfer student being placed in halls with other second/third years may be best as It may help me to make friends!
    Many thanks
    Hello,

The halls are generally a mix of years with flats being organised with people from the same year. Here are a list of self catered halls I would recommend applying for. The following are on campus so you won't have to walk far to lectures! In your application specify that you would like to be with other second years and the university will do its best to accommodate this.

Bridges Hall
    Stenton Townhouses
    Stenton Hall
    Mackinder Hall
    Childs Hall

Hope it all goes well!
    Pip

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.