Llang17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me more information on the course of criminology and psychology? or psychology in general? such as how well lectures/seminars work and are delivered? What topics are most interesting? And how a student is assessed?
And just views about the course in general

I'm looking at entering for level 2 study so any comments about years 2 and 3 would be much appreciated
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Llang17)
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me more information on the course of criminology and psychology? or psychology in general? such as how well lectures/seminars work and are delivered? What topics are most interesting? And how a student is assessed?
And just views about the course in general

I'm looking at entering for level 2 study so any comments about years 2 and 3 would be much appreciated
If you type 'psychology' into the search bar of this part of the forum it should come up with a fair few threads (and posts of mine) about what the psychology course is like at Holloway. In general it's done very well, generally good lecturers, interesting seminars. What topics are most interesting will depend on your personal preferences- the social psychology course in second and third years is usually very popular but I preferred the brain and behaviour and methods in cognitive neuroscience courses since they were tailored more to my interests. Students are assessed via a mixture of exams and written coursework, though in your third year you can select modules that are more coursework-based or more exam-based depending on your strengths.

If you have any other questions let me know, I'd be happy to answer (though I can only answer in terms of psychology rather than psychology and criminology, as I never studied the latter).
Char.Bryony.95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am currently a first year Crim/Psych student. The school we belong to is the school of Law, so we tend to have more of a connection to that department than the psychology department, are personal tutors are with the school of Law.
Criminology is focused around theory of crime and the criminal justice system. As for the psychology units, crim/psych students only do 2 a term (4 per year) whereas single honours psychology students would do 3/4 a term. We do self and society, biological foundations, abnormal psychology and learning and memory.
Criminology lectures tend to give the core information to guide your reading and the seminars allow for a small group (10-15 people) to discuss the lecture, reading or set questions given.
Psychology lectures are always 2 hours long and cover one specific topic in a fair amount of detail, you are then expected to do the reading from the textbook. Once a term we have a seminar of the current psychology unit, so 2 seminars a term, they are not that great in the sense that you cannot discuss any issues at length, the psych seminars are designed to help with critical thinking and evaluation more than anything which does help with assignments. However the psychology department does encourage us to use their office hours for any lecture related queries.
As for assessments, most units have an essay worth a certain percentage and the exam (taken in the summer) worth a certain percentage. I almost certain first year criminology units are 50/50 and first year psychology units 20% and exams worth 80%. Second year is near enough the same, but third year courses are much more varied. Both departments get marks back to you within 4 weeks, usually it's 3 weeks. Every essay you get back has detailed feedback so you know where you need to improve and what you are doing well. Criminology and psychology lecturers give a lot of guidance toward essay structure and what to include, so you always have a starting point. We haven't taken any exams yet, RHUL doesn't have a January exam period so it's all done in the summer, so it does mean 6 exams in one period. With psychology I believe we are given the topic area for the exam essay before the exam, unfortunately not the case for criminology. All first year exams are 2 hours. Psychology exams have 45 multiple choice questions worth 50% and an essay worth 50%. Criminology exams are pick 1 questions from list one and pick 1 question from list 2 format, with each essay being worth 50%.
The course was accredited with the BPS before Christmas so that now means we can get student and then graduate membership. All of the lecturers are surprisingly friendly and are always willing to answer any questions you have, in fact they encourage questions before, during and after the lectures.
I have had such a great first term and so far the second term is just as good, If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (30)
18.87%
I'm not sure (3)
1.89%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (53)
33.33%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.89%
I'm not a current university student (70)
44.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise