Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to take biomed, but this question should apply to all courses:

So York is one of the best courses for Biosciences, right? It follows that it must be a brilliant place to go for biomed but... oh what's this? Google tells me that the course was only introduced in September 2014, and some parts (sandwich years in industry or Europe) won't even be available till 2016. I'm going to phone them up later to find out if that is referring to fresh students of 2016 or anyone on the course come 2016, but the simple question I want to know the answer to is whether It's wise to risk your degree on an untested course. I know that I wouldn't take a new A-level course in a school no matter how prestigious it was, because the teachers wouldn't have a clue about exam technique or which order to teach the subjects in the spec without a few years' practice. Does the same apply to unis? Or should students leap on new courses because that's where all the latest facilities, funding and subject matter is being invested into? Any thoughts would be helpful but if someone who was on a new or newish course could share their experience that'd be very useful, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to Exeter to study Marine Biology which is also a new course. However at the open day talk they explained that many of the modules on the course were already part of other degrees such as biology, zoology, conservation etc. they only needed to add a few more options. They had employed a new professor, who had been head of marine biology at another university to put the new degree together. The modules on offer were great, and the other universities on my list didn't get a look in after I'd been here. I would expect that many of the modules on your course would also be part of other degrees. I would contact the university and speak to someone about your concerns and about the query about the sandwich part of the course.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.