Prina_R
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I'm new here! At the moment, i am getting B/C in my psychology..I was wondering if any of you have good revision techinques? I have made notes on everything I have done so far, so I was just going to memorise that..is that good?

Also, I was hoping I could find a psych buddy, preferably in year 13..someone who has done AQA A spec
TFoulg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

From what I've done so far this year it seems to me that the exam will be more of a test of memory than understanding!

The specification for PSYA3 says that you must be equipped for three essay style questions across 8 topics; with my college choosing Gender, Aggression and Biological Rhythms & Sleep.

For PSYA4 you will have to answer essay style questions on one of four disorders, with my college opting for Schizophrenia. We also have to study a 'contemporary application of Psychology to investigate in detail' and answer essay questions on that but we haven't done that yet! We also have to study Research Methods.

In order to memorise essay questions easily I split each essay answer into two parts: AO1 where you outline and describe the theory,
AO2 where you use critical research to either support or
refute claims made by theories in AO1

Once I've wrote a model answer (checked by the teacher of course) I split each point or critical evaluatiom I've made into a paragraph. Learning and memorising the individual paragraphs is a lot easier for me than the whole body of text! Repeating this process until you have a lot less text than your original model answer, but being cued to write the model answer from the text you have shortened it to is the aim!

PM me if you want a few examples
Hope this helps!
Prina_R
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks il do that!
What grade did you get at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TFoulg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Prina_R;52776733]Thanks il do that!

[SIZE=1]I got a B in PSYA1 and an A in PSYA2 which gave me an A altogether
Lularose83
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I'm predicted an A in psychology and I'm doing the same exam board as you!
Firstly, learn all the studies in the textbook and create quizzes to test yourself- eg, what did sperling's research attempt to test? Then you'd write out the answer on a separate price of paper and periodically test yourself. Also, you could try flash cards and making large posters to put on your wall. I find it helpful if, now and again, I mentally recite something I've learned or a particular research study in my head or before I go to sleep.
My teacher mentioned that looking at examiners reports and mark schemes are helpful as well.
Good luck
DoTheEducations
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=TFoulg;52779943]
(Original post by Prina_R)
Thanks il do that!

[SIZE=1]I got a B in PSYA1 and an A in PSYA2 which gave me an A altogether
I got the same grades in the same units but my overall came to a B
TFoulg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A similar thing happened to me in Human Biology I got an A in HBIO1 and a B in HBIO2 so frustrating thinking you've missed a whole grade by 1 mark!
sophiegashman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Studied AQA A last year (AS) but my school switched to OCR for A2. I got 98 UMS in both papers last year so only dropped 4 marks overall - predicted an A* this year (which isn't looking very likely if I'm being honest.) My advice to you is that psychology A-level is very much a test of memory but it also helps a great deal if you understand it and try not to think of it as just learning studies. Really get into the studies and think of them as interesting facts you've learnt instead. But yes definitely make sure you know EVERYTHING like the back of your hand, that way when it comes to the exam even the surprise weird questions don't seem difficult. As long as you've got your evidence and studies learnt then the essays just form around it. PM me if you need any helps/tips
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.17%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (578)
48.74%

Watched Threads